Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bah, I’m not allowed on the track anymore

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Default Bah, I’m not allowed on the track anymore

So I raced last Wednesday at the drag strip for the first time with my 2005 GT Vert. I have a Steeda CAI and Xcal2 tune in her and other then that she’s all stock. Well I did a really slow first few runs because I was getting used to the tree, the sounds, babying the car, etc. I was in and around 13.94 and 13.73 for my first 2 runs. Well on my third run I got the hang of launching, deflated my rears a few pounds on some advice, took out the spare and jack (ya ya shut up) and friggin gunned her. 13.39 was my time (I bet I could do better too if I kept at it). When I picked up the slip, they told me I couldn’t run anymore because my car did faster then 13.49, is a convertible, and I don’t have a roll bar. So now if I want to race anymore I need to get a roll bar lol. Is this common at all? I read it in the rules when I was thinking about signing up last week but I guess I didn’t think it would be an issue.

How much of a pain in the *** is it to put in a roll cage and what is involved?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bah, I’m not allowed on the track anymore

Stuff like that is for safety. A buddy of mine a few years back had to put on a helmet because his modded WS6 ran in the 11s, which i think the cutoff for helmets is 13.000.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:10 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Every track I know of has rules like that. At CA Dragway in Fontana, CA, verts need a roll bar for 13.99 and under. Coupes for <11.99. Helmets for everyone at <13.99. One of the local 1/8-mi tracks here, require helmets for everyone... regardless of ET.

Frankly, that is one major reason I didn't even consider buying a convertible.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:30 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

I know that with a bit more driving experience with her I can get an even better time. I still get a bit more tire spin then I would like at launch and I tend to not quite floor it in second through third. I'm sure that the car will run 13.2 or even lower, she is a very strong running right off the showroom floor, I'm exceedingly pleased with her.

I’m just miffed that I need a cage to go back there since I had planned on doing some more work to her that should put me in the high 12’s. I know that the only roll bar I ever had in a car was on a 74’ 454 Nova I used to have that was just for enduro/beat on races in high school and that was a major pain in the *** to put in. I don’t want to mess up the inside of my beautiful girl and clean looks with the top down by adding a stinking metal birdcage to her.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Tehrab
1st Gear Member

Nothing ruins the fun like an insurance policy.

My tracks here have equally absurd rules but this is the world we live in so, I guess we just have to deal with it.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Seems like 2 or 3 issues ago in MM&FF there was a brief rundown of NHRA rules for weekend hobbyists. Might glance through a past issue and see. Plus I am sure that each track can set their own rules also as long as they are the NHRA minimum.

Here is a quick overview from the NHRA rulebook.

A valid state driver's license is required for all drivers.

All drivers are required to wear long pants, a shirt with sleeves (no tank tops) , and closed toe shoes (no sandals).

All vehicles are required to have at least one functional taillight.

Drivers in cars running 13.99 (8.59) seconds or quicker, and all dune buggy type vehicles runnning 14.00 (8.60) and slower are required to wear a helmet meeting SNELL 95 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1, or 41.2 Specs

Drivers running 10.00 (6.40) to 11.49 (7.35) must wear a jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1.

Drivers running 9.99 (6.39) to 7.50 (4.50) or any vehicle exceeding 135 mph are required to wear a jacket and pants meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1.

A valid NHRA Competition license is required for any vehicle running 9.99 (6.39) or quicker.

All motorcycle riders are required to wear a full face helmet meeting above Specs, leather jacket, leather boots/shoes above the ankle, and leather gloves. Full all leathers or SFI Spec 40.1/2 suit is mandatory on all motorcycles running 120 mph or faster.

A seat belt is mandatory in all cars. A three inch driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory in all cars running 11.49 (7.35) or quicker, and in convertibles running 13.49 (8.25) or quicker and all dune buggy type vehicles.

A roll bar is required on all cars running 11.00 (7.00) to 11.49 (7.35) and in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49 and in all dune buggy type vehicles running 12.00 and slower.

A roll cage is mandatory in all cars running 10.99 (6.99) and quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph.

A driveshaft loop is required on all cars running 13.99 (8.59) seconds and quicker, except vehicles running 13.00 and slower equipped with street tires.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

So he just needs the bar, not the complete cage, correct?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

From the way the rules read, I would say yes that is correct. But I am sure they are probably up to interpretation.
Seems as though a CDC light bar would work for what they are requiring.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

In other words "Brandon, don't bother taking the Beast to the track...."
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpazHairlip

...How much of a pain in the *** is it to put in a roll cage and what is involved?
Thanks for the insight HM. So to re-phrase SHL's question, how much of a pain in the *** is it to put a roll-bar in an '05 GT vert?

Quick Reply: Bah, I’m not allowed on the track anymore