Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark plug just spins and spins?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Yello4u

Unhappy Spark plug just spins and spins?

I recently changed out 7 of 8 spark plugs on my GT, only to find excessive carbon on the tips of these two section plugs. One broke off and I purchased the special tool to remove piece, it worked like a charm- I almost broke a tear!
My new question is, I have one left, the number 5 cylinder and the plug just spins and spins- remaining firm in the hole. I cannot use the tool because the entire plug remains. I believe the thread portion of the plug may have seperated from the lower segment, leaving the porcelain core intact.
Any ideas on how to remove this last, stubborn plug?
Thanks so much.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

It's seperated at at the junction of the two piece (OS) design. I'm guessing the porcelain is still stuck in the ground sleeve. You'll have to reach in there with some long needle nose pliers and pull it straight out. Look at the bright side, it'll give you another chance to use that tool!

Which one did you get? Any details on the extraction? I've got 5 I've got to remove as soon as I get the tool I ordered. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a TSB on this issue for plugs breaking during removal. The TSB describes the different scenarios depending on how they break and what tools they use to extract them. Nice design, Ford.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's a TSB on this issue for plugs breaking during removal. The TSB describes the different scenarios depending on how they break and what tools they use to extract them. Nice design, Ford.
He knows about that as he's used a tool to extract a broken plug already. He's got one that I suspect is broken and is just spinning freely. I had 3 like that, and pliers will work to pull them out. Then he can use the tool he already has to extract the broken end.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Holy crap, this is scary
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Brake the porcelain and blow it out with compressed air.
Then use the tool....
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Yello4u

Originally Posted by RobertJ
It's seperated at at the junction of the two piece (OS) design. I'm guessing the porcelain is still stuck in the ground sleeve. You'll have to reach in there with some long needle nose pliers and pull it straight out. Look at the bright side, it'll give you another chance to use that tool!

Which one did you get? Any details on the extraction? I've got 5 I've got to remove as soon as I get the tool I ordered. Good luck!
I bought the Lisle unit ($55)- recommended in another post, top notch tool. I went real slow and read, reread the directions again and again so I would not make a critical mistake. Took about a half hour because I needed several sockets to turn the pullers, pusher screws etc and did not have them laid out like an operation table.

Blow dryer to heat up the porcelain/plug remains
Screw in Pusher body into main threads
Screw in pusher screw and tip until it presses porcelain down into plug tip- nice crunching sound and resistance as it goes down- creeping feeling as the rachet resists then lets go.... eeeh
Pull that stuff out and insert a puller assembly (aluminum) and housing.
Insert puller screw as it taps into the top of the spark plug tip. Then you use a hex screw and nylon gasket and go the other way- it holds on and pulls it right out. A lot of work for a stupid spark plug.
Give yourself and high five and enjoy an ice cold beer upon the success!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
Holy crap, this is scary
What's even scarier is that Ford will not accept responsibility for it and leaves it up to the owner to deal with it. I don't blame the guys that are talking about leaving the plugs in until 100k miles and then selling the vehicle. I wish I would have just left them alone.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yello4u
I bought the Lisle unit ($55)- recommended in another post, top notch tool. I went real slow and read, reread the directions again and again so I would not make a critical mistake. Took about a half hour because I needed several sockets to turn the pullers, pusher screws etc and did not have them laid out like an operation table.

Blow dryer to heat up the porcelain/plug remains
Screw in Pusher body into main threads
Screw in pusher screw and tip until it presses porcelain down into plug tip- nice crunching sound and resistance as it goes down- creeping feeling as the rachet resists then lets go.... eeeh
Pull that stuff out and insert a puller assembly (aluminum) and housing.
Insert puller screw as it taps into the top of the spark plug tip. Then you use a hex screw and nylon gasket and go the other way- it holds on and pulls it right out. A lot of work for a stupid spark plug.
Give yourself and high five and enjoy an ice cold beer upon the success!
I got the same tool. Thanks for the write up.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

I am not looking forward to changing the plugs in my 08 GT/CS Thank you FORD.

Quick Reply: Spark plug just spins and spins?