Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp or FRPP cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Default Comp or FRPP cams

Trying to figure out what cam has the more aggressive sound, the Thumpr from Comp or the Hot Rod from FRPP. I have listened to many sound threads on you tube and am thinking that it would be the Thumpr. That must be why the Thumpr requires the Phaser limiters and the hot rods don't. Am I correct in what I am hearing? When I do decide to install cams it will be between these two. Just trying to figure out which one to go with. I want a real aggressive sound but also an HP gain. Between the two, does anyone know which one produces the most HP?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

imo the thumper is the more aggressive cam.
since you want a real aggressive sound and are
looking for the most power, the answer is clear.

really the only question left for you is stage I or
stage II.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:30 PM
yellowjohn1

The Thumpers do sound a little more aggressive but the hotrod's are definately not slouches. Something else to consider is that the Thumpers require the phaser limiters which makes them more expensive and reduces mileage. I have seen some dyno's and read a lot of testimonials on these and the consensus seems to be the Thumpers will make a few more HP up top but the hotrods make more power through the whole torque curve. At first I was sold on the Thumpers just because they sounded so good but the added cost and more peaky torque curve have changed my mind about them.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellowjohn1
At first I was sold on the Thumpers just because they sounded so good but the added cost and more peaky torque curve have changed my mind about them.

I was the same way. At first I was all about the Hot Rods, then I switched to the Thumprs since they do sound a little more lopey, but the added cost and time having to install limiters made me switch back to Hot Rods. Also, I heard A LOT more people complain about low speed drive-ability issues. Not that the Hot Rods will be perfect like stock, but it seems the Thumprs are worse from what I've read. I also got a killer deal on ebay on some slightly used Hot Rods. I saved about $200. They should be arriving from UPS this week. I'll be installing them on Thanksgiving day.

I'm also thinking of the FRPP ported heads w/ the new style plug in a year or so when the car is paid off. Ford Racing says you'll get over 50 rwhp with the heads and hot rods with stock intake (I have a CAI so it should be better). Sounds good to me!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 PM
05roush0090

I love my stage II thumprs.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sounds excellent
Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 PM
05roush0090

thank you.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

First idle = 620 Second Idle = 750

I couldn't be any happier with my FRPP HR's
Old 11-02-2009, 09:14 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

If you want that classic muscle car sound, the thumpers are for you. I personally love the way they sound. They have the classic lope that everyone loves and are very affordiable. Here are some sound clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lupoxuO8Em8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrMoE...eature=channel
Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

My advice is don't bother with either but if you do plan on needing 4.10 or higher gears.

Quick Reply: Comp or FRPP cams