Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Some Help Power Adders!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

I think what it boils down to is the S197 is a very mature platform at this point. I really don't think there's a glaring difference between the Saleen and Whipple, they've both been proven great kits. Same with the Vortech/Paxton. I think they're all well established power adders. The bigger decision is to decide what type of power adder you like and go from there. If you stick with a reputable kit, you can't go wrong.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
I think what it boils down to is the S197 is a very mature platform at this point. I really don't think there's a glaring difference between the Saleen and Whipple, they've both been proven great kits. Same with the Vortech/Paxton. I think they're all well established power adders. The bigger decision is to decide what type of power adder you like and go from there. If you stick with a reputable kit, you can't go wrong.
agreed it really just comes down to the delivery and possibly who u may have install it.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
How long have u had the saleen. Just ordered mine. Cant wait

I've had my Saleen for almost two years running 9.5psi and making over 500rwhp, no problems yet. (I should note not many people make that power on that pulley, I have aggressive cams as well)

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
^^This^^

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-26-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

why isn't turbo in the mix. They don't cost that much more and have great potential when you decide you want more power.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 AM
08LegndShelbyGT

agreed it really just comes down to the delivery and possibly who u may have install it.
true im up in the north bay area so id have Griggs Racing install the kit I'm going with the Paxton Kit, thanks guys for your input!

as for turbo yeah i thought about it and I know how they are, but they are just not my cup of tea for power adders.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:30 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

why isn't turbo in the mix.

Not for everybody. Great for racing....easy with boost controller to make subtle boost adjustments at the strip (no pulley swaps etc) and during tuning. Torque typically is way higher with a turbo than a charger. Look at the drop in numbers between rwhp and rwtq in posters' sigs, with superchargers. Why do you think when folk proudly display a single dyno number, it is always the rhwp number. Because it is the much higher value and looks better. Actually it means almost nothing, because the numbers are so variable between machines of the same type and more so between different machine types (dynojet vs mustangdyno for example). 500 rwhp on one machine can be 400 on another.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 11-30-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

The Hellion turbo kit from Brenspeed is on my wish list, along with a few supercharger options. The biggest reason I like the turbo is because I NEVER see turbo stangs around my area on the street. You get the occasional guy running a turbo with full roll cage and slicks at the track, but hardly ever on the street. Plus it would give the import guys something to think about. They're little 4 bangers with a loud blow-off valve usually just make noise to impress other imports without power adders. A turbo S197 is a whole other beast on the street
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
why isn't turbo in the mix.

Not for everybody. Great for racing....easy with boost controller to make subtle boost adjustments at the strip (no pulley swaps etc) and during tuning. Torque typically is way higher with a turbo than a charger. Look at the drop in numbers between rwhp and rwtq in posters' sigs, with superchargers. Why do you think when folk proudly display a single dyno number, it is always the rhwp number. Because it is the much higher value and looks better. Actually it means almost nothing, because the numbers are so variable between machines of the same type and more so between different machine types (dynojet vs mustangdyno for example). 500 rwhp on one machine can be 400 on another.
What he said, lol.
I hit 460rwhp, on Prochargers own in-house Mustang dyno. I also have an auto, with only exhaust mods to help the final numbers get higher. This is on a mostly stock car. Most people who follow numbers would think this is on the low side. But that just depends on who it is compared with.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmarsh3014
The Hellion turbo kit from Brenspeed is on my wish list, along with a few supercharger options. The biggest reason I like the turbo is because I NEVER see turbo stangs around my area on the street. You get the occasional guy running a turbo with full roll cage and slicks at the track, but hardly ever on the street. Plus it would give the import guys something to think about. They're little 4 bangers with a loud blow-off valve usually just make noise to impress other imports without power adders. A turbo S197 is a whole other beast on the street
Ditto.. I used to be impressed by those Evos/STIs with their turbos and all but now they're just annoying. I remember when I first got my Vortech in, and was still a little intimidated by them.. I have raced and beat a few of them, very easily mind you and that was with a mere 350-360whp lol

I can't imagine the carnage with 420+ whp, let alone 450-460whp..

I just laugh when they try to rev, because eventhough I only have CAI/tune right now.. I know that when summer comes around, I'll be raping some AWD/turbo imports!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 AM
CandyRedGT
1st Gear Member

How long have u had the saleen. Just ordered mine. Cant wait
Sorry to be late replying. Been off line alot! It's been on my car almost two years now! LOVE IT!!!! And you can upgrade later very easily!!!! Did you get a Kenne Bell BAP? Which Saleen kit did you get????

Quick Reply: Need Some Help Power Adders!