Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My car smells like ass

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Topless89GT
1st Gear Member

You guys are some sick puppies...... LOL
I'd just like to know how many asses Jim has sniffed to make this determination.
He could be a expert in this field.
I don't know when I could use such an expert, but now I know where one is located.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Just like the title says.
And I have no F***ing idea why either. I changed the cabin filter, twice actually.

Each time I changed them, the smell nearly went away. Then, after about 1000mile or so, my AC would blow air that reeks like *** again.

So, this is not a cabin air filter issue, it has to be something else.
Does anyone here have a clue what could the source of my foul smelling AC?
It's really embarrassing when your girlfriends want to say something about it, but they bite their tongues and simply say: "Never mind."
You sure you dont have any leaks that cold have molded on you?

Edit: Saw others suggesting mold as well.
I bet you a penny that you had some sort of leak that caused mold. Heck even those sponge things they tape on the AC vents when you pull them out could have some mold build up.
Jerk the vents out and look at those. If no mold is there its gotta be back further. I've never sprayed anything down in mine so I wont tell you if its safe or not but talk to the dealership and ask them if they thought spraying some bleach down in there would hurt anything. Mix it like 70 water 30 bleach or LESS. You dont need much bleach in a mix at ALL.

Also... if any skanks have been in your car... check for slug trails their booties might have left lol!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-07-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
ROFL! Thanks guys, I got a kick out of your replies.
I needed the laugh to cheer me up. Heck, I was actually beginning to get depressed some from the smelly AC issue, but I am glad I asked the way I did otherwise I still would be down about my stinky car!
You know we all love you Jim! Glad the funny responses gave you a laugh and cheered you up. As for the smell, I've never had that problem in any climate I've lived, but I wish you the best of luck in getting rid of it
Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Have you tried taking a shower more then once a week? Might help out. Lol. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

LOL, Thanks all! Reading back through the old replies and also the new ones cracked me up and made my day

Just an update, I didn't do the Lysol thing or bleach-water thing yet, but I did do the outside air circulation thing. And it makes a world of difference.
As soon as I get home, I turn off the engine, which of course shuts off the AC compressor, but I put it on outside air circulation and let the AC blow fresh air through the vents for several minutes before I take the keys out.
This really seams to have worked, the swamp-*** smell is gone!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

my 5.0 smells like *** too ,but that was the impression of a friend I slingshotted on 5 thru Woodland
he said it was the cats and they smell like *** ,at least being behind me while I was ripping thru the gears.

My car smells like *** for sure , from the outside
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I would remove the cabin filter. They put the heater controls to each position (vent, floor, defrost) with the fan on high. In each position, shoot some Lysol spray into the cabin filter opening.

This should kill any/all mildew in the vent system.

As stated before, make sure the drain line for the AC evaporator is not plugged up.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
nvoluntary

I hate to bump this older thread but Im having the same problem as the OP, I removed the old cabin air filter and replaced it. And now Im having to use tree fresheners to try and get rid of it.

Ive tried using automotive disinfectant spray in the vent underneath the hood and also underneath the dash but I just cant seem to get rid of it. It just seems to be some kind of mildew-ish smell and I want it gone!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Jim - our Ford Edge had the same problem, it was getting some kind of musty moldy smell. If your car is under warranty, take it to the dealership, they have a freshner thing they will run through your AC and help kill the mold/bacteria causing it, and also helps freshen the smell too.

We had to do it 2 or 3 times before it went away permanently, and the dealer did it under warranty.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 PM
RideThePony14

maybe you hit a skunk

Quick Reply: My car smells like ass