Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Let's talk about our Tremec 3650

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Don't take this the wrong way Norm, but sometimes your tech posts make me want to punch infants. I'm sure, however, that they are dead on, lol.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 AM
UsmcMustang
1st Gear Member

i wonder , are there any kits out there to beef up the tranny
Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Don't take this the wrong way Norm, but sometimes your tech posts make me want to punch infants. I'm sure, however, that they are dead on, lol.
I got a good laugh at this one.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UsmcMustang
i wonder , are there any kits out there to beef up the tranny
There are companies that will take your stock 3650 as a core and replace it with a rebuilt version. The rebuilt versions have 26 spline input shafts, better syncros and generally better shifting. There are other options for the rebuild to make them more race friendly, but that can have an effect on the longevity.

American Powertrain
Liberty Transmissions (I think)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I agree. I always try to read Norm's posts, but rarely do I make it through. My attention span isn't long enough to......what was I talking about again?

Nevermind.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Funny because some of these tranny's are running WELL over what they should hold as far as ratings and some seem to friggin go apart for NO apparent reason.

My 06GT ended up going and I was running only about 320trq.
Had NEVER tracked it either.
Heard an add noise and my buddy traced it to the tranny.
Took it apart and found a bloody mess. Teeth missing, and other things.

Funny thing is the car drove FINE.
I have no clue how the hell that happened.
He is a certified SVT mech (I know we are talking about the GT tranny. Just stating credentials), and the BEST mech I know and he was just in awe at how
the car drove fine and looked like it did on the inside of the tranny.

It was like a joke or some obnoxious scene in a fast in furious movie that would make you say. "No way in HELL that is possible."
Danger to Manifold! LOL!

Anyways, from what I can gather these tranny's can hold a lot.
If yours goes often it seems to be just from weird flaws.
My buddy DID say that most of the serious problems they get from
these vehicles end up being transmission problems.
He also said he has people that have big trq on them and beat the hell out of them with no problems, then he has people who have never done a damn thing to compromise the tranny have
them go.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-21-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Guys - the way I see it, you're entitled to be let in on some of the thinking that's behind the answers.

It'll either help you look at whatever is under discussion, or you'll disagree with it because you've also thought about it or been through the situation - and seen it differently.

At least one of us ends up learning something, and don't think for a moment that the learning doesn't ever happen on my end.

In my day job, I have been expected (in some cases required) to provide some level of explanation for most everything I do. That habit has been 40+ years in the making, so it's in there pretty solidly.

And "just do [whatever], because I said so" went out of fashion when my youngest hit her teens. As it happens, she turns 36 just under 12 hours from now.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-21-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

And "just do [whatever], because I said so" went out of fashion when my youngest hit her teens. As it happens, she turns 36 just under 12 hours from now.

Norm
LOL loved that Norm!
I agree with you though.
We all learn things through the forum and other things we do, given we are wise enough to open our eyes and ears to learn.
No one is correct all the time, and you can be both correct and incorrect at the same time often.

Your advice on these forums, just as many people's advice on these forums you and I know is very valuable. IF nothing else but to get you to take the time out and really measure and consider things as well as alternatives. I think that if ANYONE was to throw away your advice without really listening and considering it, would be throwing away a valuable resource.

Anyone that does not take proven advice from the experienced people on these forums is just wasting their time here, and self growth is being thrown away for closed minds.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hey I just noticed I passed the 4k post marker not too long ago.
WOOT!

lols!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Norm Peterson;7625823]Guys - the way I see it, you're entitled to be let in on some of the thinking that's behind the answers.

In my day job, I have been expected (in some cases required) to provide some level of explanation for most everything I do. That habit has been 40+ years in the making, so it's in there pretty solidly.
[/QUOTE

Norm...I always look forward to your posts.

Glad you're around. Don't change a thing.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about our Tremec 3650