Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Default Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?

I'm getting sick of this. First I decide to save up for a Roush TVS but then realize that they are a no no in California. Then I decide on cams and longtubes only to discover that all of the tree huggers won't let me foul the air more than I already am. Then I decide to settle for cams and gears but I just read that some tunes with cams can fail emissions. Can I catch a break? Anyone know of any mods that ARE legal in stupid California? End of rant.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Can I just take this post to say - I HATE HATE HATE THAT STUPID STATE!

Your state is full of idiots. I think their next state law will make it illegal to be an American citizen.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, with Jerry Brown at the helm once again I wouldn't be surprised. He is the one who started all of this anti-muscle car crap back in the day. Silly man.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Can I just take this post to say - I HATE HATE HATE THAT STUPID STATE!

Your state is full of idiots. I think their next state law will make it illegal to be an American citizen.
Really, so next your going to tell me Indiana is where Einstein is from?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flat out
Really, so next your going to tell me Indiana is where Einstein is from?
Nope - but I will say we know and full well allow fun cars that belch black smoke and get 0MPGs
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
I'm getting sick of this. First I decide to save up for a Roush TVS but then realize that they are a no no in California. Then I decide on cams and longtubes only to discover that all of the tree huggers won't let me foul the air more than I already am. Then I decide to settle for cams and gears but I just read that some tunes with cams can fail emissions. Can I catch a break? Anyone know of any mods that ARE legal in stupid California? End of rant.
For what it's worth, I have an m90, long tubes and cams and am one of the IDIOTS who live in Calif. You have to be creative but I have been able to pass a sniff test with the right tune, and a $100.00 because my hood latch was broken.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

For what it's worth, I have an m90, long tubes and cams and am one of the IDIOTS who live in Calif. You have to be creative but I have been able to pass a sniff test with the right tune, and a $100.00 because my hood latch was broken.
How do you swing the long tubes? Aside from a blatant bribe that is...
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

How do you swing the long tubes? Asifrom a blatant bribe that is...
I live in Humboldt Co. so unless I sell the car for the next few years there won"t be any tests for me, but after I built this thing I had my tuner come up with an emission tune, it will pass the sniff test, with the VMP tune never. My last Mustang was very similar and did require the as you call it '' blatant bribe" I kind of look at it as a service charge, to me it's money well spent for 500h.p.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

...and a $100.00 because my hood latch was broken.
How do you swing the long tubes? Aside from a blatant bribe that is...
It appears he handed the guy a c-note to not look under the hood.

There's quite a bit that's legal, You picked one of the superchargers that didn't get approval, take a look at the edelbrok eforce (a 2.3L TVS, just like the roush), The ford racing/whipple kit, saleen, vortek...
Long tubes are a no go legally, they either remove or replace the cats, you can get jba's cat forward shorties, not quite the same thing but...
Cams are mostly ust hard to tune to get past the sniff test as well as causing a rough idle which is also a fail. There are plenty of CAI's and exhausts on the market, the cops don't like it too loud though, CA has a drive by noise level that cops just hand out without measuring (95db at 5').
Yeah, it sucks, but you have to play the game.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Wtf? A rough idle is illegal? Motherfvcker! Can't wait to pass the sniff test only to have the guy say, "oh well your idle is rough so you failed anyway."

Quick Reply: Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?