Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking to buy, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
tonyfort

Default Looking to buy, have some questions

Hi Everybody! I'm new on here and am thinking about buying a 2010 GT with the manual trans. For a little background, I currently have a loaded 2008 Cadillac CTS that I bought used in 2010 with 48k miles. I now have 78k and I'm pretty fickle with cars and ready for a change (not to mention scared of getting high up in miles with all the electronic gadgets in the CTS). I've loved the CTS but I'm looking to potentially "change categories" and have started looking at the Mustang.

I'm probably going to take a look around at some this weekend, but I have some questions that I couldn't find answers to. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it:

1. How do you tell which rear end the car has without an original window sticker or build sheet? I know in 2010 the standard GT rear end was 3.31 with 3.55 and 3.73 as options. I also know that the track pack cars have the 3.73, and that there was a 3.73 axle package that added uprated brakes and adjusted stability control. Are there any indicators that I can look for? Are there big real-world differences between the different axles in terms of performance?

2. "Dual Piston" calipers are mentioned for both the track pack and the 3.73 axle pack. Does that mean the standard front calipers on the GT are single piston?

3. Are there common issues to watch out for on a 2010 GT with the manual? Anything to watch for during a test drive and walkaround?

Thanks for any help in advance; if I'm just blind and missing an FAQ thread or one where these questions have already been discussed I'd appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction of those threads. If I end up buying one I'm sure I'll end up a regular on here
Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Hey man and welcome, sorry you have had all of these views and no responses to this thread, I'll try to help you out as much as possible.

The rear gear ratio can be found on the sticker in the drivers side door jam. it says something like 410, 355, 373, etc, its alocated around the area that has the tire pressure and other things of that nature. However this will be the gear the car was ordered with from the factory, it may be unlikely but possible the previous owner could have changed the gear.

Here is a site I found with some specs of the 2010 GT, brake info as well:

http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/20...ium/specs.html

I haven't heard of any manual trans issues with the 2010 4.6's, however alot of guys are having problems with the 2011-12 5.0's 6 Speed manual Getrag MT-82 transmission.

One thing you may want to look into if you plan on going with a 5.0 over a 4.6
Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah the 2010 tranny seems to be good. The 4.6L engine is built very well. I had an 08 and its pretty much the same. The tranny is the 5 speed and doesnt have the widely publicized issues that the MT-82 has.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
tonyfort

Took the plunge! Found a black 2010 GT premium manual, 22,500 miles. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll end up active here on the forum!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

congrats...what will be the first mod?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Lets see some pics dude!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 AM
tonyfort

As for mods I have no idea where I'd even start (there looks to be SO much you can do, a lot different than on the CTS). Probably some window tint (if you'd even consider that a mod) fairly soon. This will be my daily driver so I don't want to go too crazy, but I certainly wouldn't rule anything out right away.

As for pictures, I'm probably just dumb but I can't seem to find a way to attach them...
Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Might I be the first to suggest a CAI/Tune...would be a great start to the enjoyment of your 'Stang!! Congrats my man!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Great choice on the black, keep that baby clean, enjoy it.

as for mods, most people usually go exhaust or wheels for their first mod. Cold Air Intake with a tune is popular as well.

Go on to youtube and watch some sound clips, decide which you like best. If I was to suggest...

SLP all the way

http://www.americanmuscle.com/0509-m...k-exhaust.html

Last edited by Maraman; 11-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 AM
SMS

you have to get wheels since all power and no traction is a bad combination... I would suggest somewhere around the 11-12 inch wide rims in the rear... and 9 inch wide in the front... Im also currently looking for some new wheels as my sport muscle wheels are only 20x10 and im breaking traction in 4th... also if anyone could help me i wasnt able to post a thread on this and i know im in the wrong area but i was wondering if i could get some input on some matching rims that are 20x9 for the front and 20x12 that look really clean... im sorry location of post...

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, have some questions