Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch Replacement Suggestions? Any Stories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

Smile Clutch Replacement Suggestions? Any Stories?

Hey guys, the time has finally come to replace my 07 GT's stock clutch to something else since she decided to quit running on me. Yea..I know it seems a little early for the clutch to go out since it just hit 70,xxx miles.
But I need some suggestions for clutches, The car is pretty much stock other than an intake so I am not producing much torque or anything.
I have heard horror stories about SPEC so I am not going down that way.

I am in between the Exedy Mach 400 Stage 1 Clutch (05-10 GT) for the 359.99 and RAM HDX Clutch (05-10 GT) 269.99. I am leaning towards the RAM since its much cheaper but any feedbacks on experiences with either one would be greatly appreciated?
Do I need to get a different TOB or use the one which comes with the kit?
BTW I am getting a diff flywheel too,so any suggestions and would you recomend machinizing it already?

Oh one more questions, the car runs but only on very high rpms, would you recomend driving it to the shop or towing it? I dont want to damage anything.

Kudos,Thanks for helping me out MFers!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I like the "2005-2010 Mustang GT McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch". A bit pricey, but worth the extra money.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...ro-Clutch.html
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

Oh man,I wish I had the money for that..Way too expensive for my wallet haha
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The Mcleod RST and RXT are really the only clutches I can recommend based on experience. Both are excellent and worth the coin. You are right to avoid SPEC. Biggest piece of crap I ever put in my car. You should really replace the slave and the pilot bearing whenever you have the transmission out. The TOB on our cars is integrated into the slave. A slave costs about $150 and a pilot bearing is about $10. I remember someone saying that Exedy clutches come with a new slave, but I don't know for sure.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Also, this McLeod clutch works great for our cars and is significantly cheaper than the one listed above (it is also rated for 300 more hp than the one listed above):

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/c=N...sc-Clutch.html
Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
. I remember someone saying that Exedy clutches come with a new slave, but I don't know for sure.
Yes, all the Exedy clutches come with a new slave and pilot bushing.

To the OP, for your N/A set-up, the Exedy 400 would be a good choice
without breaking your wallet. I toasted my stocker in Nov. and opted to go with the Exedy Mach 500 in lieu of the McLeod RST. Both brands have good reps, but for my car's intended use, the RST was overkill. No feedback yet on the Exedy as I probably will not get it installed until spring.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Yes, all the Exedy clutches come with a new slave and pilot bushing.
Well that should make your decision easy if you've narrowed it down to the Exedy and Ram.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

Yeaah,I am pretty much set on the exedy so far. As much as I want the Mcleod,too pricey for me. Havent heard any bad about the exedy yet and it comes with the slave and the pilot bearing so I might be going with that.
Any suggestions for flywheel though?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lil_sixer
Yeaah,I am pretty much set on the exedy so far. As much as I want the Mcleod,too pricey for me. Havent heard any bad about the exedy yet and it comes with the slave and the pilot bearing so I might be going with that.
Any suggestions for flywheel though?
A couple suggestions... Exedy lightweight steel or Fidanza steel flywheel
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you don't drag race then the stock flywheel or lighter is fine. I prefer a heavier flywheel for drag racing as I've always felt it gets me off the line quicker.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement Suggestions? Any Stories?