Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Winter GT Daily Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

Default Winter GT Daily Drivers?

Hope this is the right section.

I know aaquib1992 has a photo of his "Snow Stang" in his sig, so I was wondering if there's any other MF'ers out there who aren't afraid to take their Mustangs on a fun winter ride.

Most people I know with Stangs (which isn't many) keep there's boarded up for the winter. Everyone said I was crazy to buy one in the fall and not have a backup vehicle for the winter.

Most of the questions/comments I get these days are regarding how the car is handling the snow and icy roads. I put 4 studded Firestone Winterforce tires on, and added a couple buckets of sand in the trunk. So far so good!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

My dad's GT/CS convertible with 4.10s, a CAI, tune, and UDPs handles the snow ok. It has stock BFG tires on it (I find it odd it didn't come with pirellis) and no sand, but besides leaving TC on and taking off in 3rd gear, it's totally driveable.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:12 AM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I find driving my 400hp mustang easier to drive than my old 150hp RX-7 thanks to TC in the snow. I found that if I take it easy on the start I have little problem in the snow. Also since moving from Alaska to Texas I don't drive in snow nearly as much.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Hey bud! Yeah I have a v6 but nevertheless I use it throughout winter, I just use snow tires once the heavy stuff starts coming down (since we haven't had a good snow fall recently I still have my pirellis on). I do not have TCS, and would turn it off temporarily should you get stuck in a snow bank (kills your momentum at inconvenient times).

I know the firestone winterforce are extremely good snow tires as they use the mold/compound of some much more expensive tires (I believe the x-ice tires?) but without the brand name to jack up the price.

Glad to see more people using their mustangs in the snow, as they are fairly stable cars once you get some weight in the trunk, and good snow tires. Good luck with the winter driving!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Thor
2nd Gear Member

I drive my car all year round and it's manageable. i make sure to start in 2nd and drive really slowly.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Drove my 08 through every winter since I first bought the car back in 08, and only now traded her in for an AWD vehicle. It handles decent for a RWD, but my new ride is far superior in the snow.. and rightfully so!

The GT handled surprisingly well, but I knew it's limits.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

Drove mine last year during winter but I'm double thinking it now. Nitto 555's don't look like they're the best choice for snow. Might have to switch back to my stock tires and rims if/when it starts to snow.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

My mustang gets driven all year long, but not all that much. I basically just choose not to do much of anything if there's snow on the ground or snow coming down quickly and it keeps things alright. If I had to rely on my stang in the winter to get to work? I'd likely be pissed off frequently as I tried to muck my way through in a car that is just a pain in the snow.

If you have winter tires, which you do, then that should make things much easier. I have two sets of rims, some summer performance tires on brembo wheels, and then stock 18s with pirelli all seasons. I'd replace the pirellis with winter tires if only I had the money to afford them right now but unfortunately it's not in the cards. I do need to get some sand to throw down in the back of my car.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 AM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

The wife and I brought our Mustang to drive in the winter (when we can't be on the motorcycles). Before we took delivery in Dec 2010 I had tire rack ship the black Ford racing wheels shod with Bridgestone Blizzaks right to the dealer. They work great in the white stuff and work pretty well on dry pavement as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

I drove my 06 GT in the winter for the first 3 years I had it. Had michelin X-ice and they worked excellent on crappy roads. I never put any kind of weight in the back of the car for slippery roads and could still outrun my buddy in his 4x4 with mud terrain tires on ice! Now I bought a Toyota Tercel so the mustang sits in a nice heated garage for the winter.

Quick Reply: Winter GT Daily Drivers?