Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Upgrading my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM
CaptTAB

Default Upgrading my sound system

Hey guys Im wanting to upgrade my sound system in my 08 GT come spring time and I was wondering what everyone has for their setups. All Im doing is speakers, head unit, and possibly a small amp to power the speakers. No room for a sub and I don't want to fool with it. I have just the normal 4 speaker set up, NOT the Shaker system. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i had shaker 500. replaced with sony hu, replaced 4 speakers with pioneer 3-ways and door subs with shelby/kicker subs. removed oem sub amps and replaced with 200 watt 2 channel. also used pac unit for interface to factory wiring
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I had the basic 4 speaker setup as well. Upgraded to a Pioneer head unit with dvd, ipod plug, blue tooth etc... Replaced the 4 speakers with some Kickers in the rear and Boston Acoustics in the doors. What a HUGE difference. No amp needed, sounds amazing and the install was very simple with crutchfields instructions. Spent less than $600 on everything. You can even wire up a relay so you can play the video player while the car is moving. NO I dont watch videos while driving. LOL Bluetooth function works flawlessly too.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 AM
feetoes

I have a shaker500 in my mustang and want to install a kenwood ddx418 like I have in my F150 and just hook up to the amps and subs already there for a while. Anyone done this and if so, is there any change in the sound. I plan on changing out the amps and subs later, but I'm already spending a lot and trying to get the essentials right now.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
CaptTAB

Sweet! So do you think a small amp would be good to power the speakers? In my Dakota I have a Kenwood 395 head unit going to the stock Infinity amp that powers my 6 1/2" Planet Audio speakers... all I can say is damn! it sounds good lol
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
crankedGT/CS
1st Gear Member

I have a lot of stereo in my 08, so I understand the need--first thing i replace in any car. however, what you should replace or spend money on depends on what you want out of it. From what you have said, I would recommend you start with the headunit switch and possibly front speakers. If it needs more, you can always add the amp later. honestly, there is probably no reason to replace speakers either (if they are no different than ones in the shaker system fronts, i'm sure they will be fine). The sound quality limitation is the factory HU amp, not the speaker itself. most times replacing speakers makes NO sound difference at all; but most do it while changing amplifier or hu at same time so don't know which made the big difference. As far as rears; waste of money to replace--you shouldn't really hear them up front anyway. I have 1500 watts RMS in my car....with 6.5" components in the doors amplified 100/channel rms. rears are stockers running off aftermarket HU power. sounds great!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
feetoes

Thanks, Cranked ... I probably will just change out the hu and the amp. All 8 speakers are the same I believe. I have a 87 Supra that I am going to sell and I have a good amp and 2 10" subs in it and maybe I will bring them over to the stang. I was gonna take the system out of my wife's truck and she stopped that action .. I'll probably bite the bullett and change out at least the amps, subs and hu real soon.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
CaptTAB

All this stuff starts to confuse me after a while lol I think Im going to start with a head unit and go from there. Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM
coleconner

I you don't want to change your head unit.. Don't waste the time! Shaker is ****. Rip it all out and start over.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Came with Shaker 1000, which the head unit to a Pioner DVD4200, now it pounds like a beast

Quick Reply: Upgrading my sound system