Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

There is nothing wrong in wanting to get the best fuel economy possible when gas prices head north. Obviously when you purchase a Mustang GT, you are aware that you won't get fuel economy as good as a Prius. But who wants to drive a Prius? I want to drive a Mustang GT!

If you commute a lot of miles every day, there are mods that will (slightly) help fuel economy. They have already been mentioned in this thread, but modifying driving habits while on the commute will help the most.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

08 GT Premium, Manual, 3.55s, HIDs, IUP, Premeir Trim, Amb Light
Appearance: HID Fogs, Smoked Fogs & Signals, 14" Ant, Black Mirror Caps, Sequentials, GT500 Spoiler & Rear Bumper
Steeda: UDPs, CMDPs, HD Motor Mounts, HD Strut Mounts, Tri-Ax Shifter, Alum DS, Billet LCAs, CAI w/CF Elbow
Other: Detroit Rockers, JBA Shorty Headers, Catch Can, Flow ATs, Koni STR.Ts, GT500 18" F/19" R Wheels, Brenspeed 93 Tune, Ethanol-Free Gas
jdmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Anything that allows the engine to run with less effort will increase mpg's. Sadly it will also increase power and sound, and if you get into it all the time your mpg's will suffer.

I get around 18 all city, sometimes 17 if I drive like a bat out of hell. I am 100% stock though. I have a gt/cs rear bumper in the attic, and will spring for an axleback to complete the rear. Neither will increase mpg, or power. Just cause better looks and better sound.

If I go for power increases I would like to go supercharged. Which strangely enough doesn't affect mpg's that much, unless you are always in it.

I was playing with the idea of putting a "Fossil fuels are yummy" sticker under my license plate. But that is like inviting greenies to key or otherwise mess with your car.

We will see 5 bucks a gallon for 87 here in Texas. I don't care though. I spend one gallon to get to and from work. I can drive a old musclecar with half the mpg and still not be phased. And that is on a retail stooge salary mind you. I just buy a couple of DVD's less, or forego that video game. And yes, I do own a home and have a child.

If gas prices are bothering you it's because you don't want to give up the poser baller lifestyle. Grow up, stop buying **** you don't need, ans see how much money you save. And how much gas you can afford.

Justice to All
TheDutchTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

A 10-speed bike...

Even IF you could find mods that improved fuel mileage, the best you might gain is about 2 MPG. Driving habits and location will gain you more than any mods. Besides, even if you do find a mod that has a modest gain, the payback time is usually years.

Hand calculate your mileage at every fill-up and make note of whatever you do to the car. The problem about tracking fuel mileage is that each tank can have different BTU's. Ethanol content can wreak havoc on fuel mileage alone.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT, 06 Vert
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
A 10-speed bike...

Even IF you could find mods that improved fuel mileage, the best you might gain is about 2 MPG. Driving habits and location will gain you more than any mods. Besides, even if you do find a mod that has a modest gain, the payback time is usually years.

Hand calculate your mileage at every fill-up and make note of whatever you do to the car. The problem about tracking fuel mileage is that each tank can have different BTU's. Ethanol content can wreak havoc on fuel mileage alone.
I've got about 5,000 gallons of off road fuel. We use it on the golf course for equipment. I know it isn't legal per say - but - is there any harm in running it/mixing it with regular fuel till normal gas comes down?

Black 06 GT 5 speed, CAI, tuned, various electronics, scoops, nothing special

Red 06 v6 Vert

Tungsten 2007 v6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironh19 View Post
totally, if any animal hits my car, I will genocide that species. thats why there are no kids in my neighborhood now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Off road fuel???
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 premuim

Only type of off-road fuel i've heard of is Diesel that isn't taxed. It's designed farm use, but you can use it anywhere off public roads/highways, it's dyed red.

yeah throw some of that in your mustang see how well that works...

Automatic, Steeda CAI, 4.10 gears, Boss Intake, BBR O/R X, Steeda Tune, M&H Drag Radials.
12.6@112mph (DA corrected 11.7@119mph)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpOnFire View Post
mishri created the universe
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT, 06 Vert
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
Only type of off-road fuel i've heard of is Diesel that isn't taxed. It's designed farm use, but you can use it anywhere off public roads/highways, it's dyed red.

yeah throw some of that in your mustang see how well that works...
Exactly why I'm asking here before I do something stupid...

Black 06 GT 5 speed, CAI, tuned, various electronics, scoops, nothing special

Red 06 v6 Vert

Tungsten 2007 v6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironh19 View Post
totally, if any animal hits my car, I will genocide that species. thats why there are no kids in my neighborhood now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
EZrider73

Vehicle: 2004 40th Convertable

I use the Versa mod for my DD driving. Yes even my v6 vert is my joy ride car. Mind you i had a 1956 F-100 with a 427 CJ 4v. You could eat a 1/4 tank just driving around the block. Way too much power.

Click the image to open in full size.
EZrider73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT Prem.

Anything that increases the efficiency of the engine will increase MPG given the same driving style.

Weight reduction, UDPs, lighter driveshaft, lighter wheels, more free-flowing exhaust and intake, etc... they will all help you gain mileage. A tune will help, depending on HOW YOU USE IT.

If you have a manual, skip gears, and shift early.

Beyond that... you bought a 400+hp muscle car, dude. If you really wanted MPGs, you should've bought a Civic.
Delivered 07MAR11
hawkeye18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
Vanwall

Vehicle: 1994 Ford Mustang

purchase an Ultra-gauge. Connects to obdII port and displays instant mpg and *** mpg plus other info.

google ultra gauge for a link.

I just orderd one to check it out.
Vanwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, adding, cj, cobra, extreme, gains, gas, gt, increase, mileage, mod, modding, modifications, mods, mpg, mustang, parts, svt, whats