Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First time thoughts of Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
BiH115

Not a ton of choices here for anything really. I may have to bite the bullet and get a 2006 or 2007 GT, there are some really good VERY low mileage 5-speeds around here, V8's of course too.

Also superslow, I meant to write 'Challenger', not charger, I always do that. I'm not a big advocate of chargers, but I do like the way they sound and look.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
S197 650
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BiH115
Not a ton of choices here for anything really. I may have to bite the bullet and get a 2006 or 2007 GT, there are some really good VERY low mileage 5-speeds around here, V8's of course too.

Also superslow, I meant to write 'Challenger', not charger, I always do that. I'm not a big advocate of chargers, but I do like the way they sound and look.
Have you considered picking up a new '12 GT? In my mind, it's a tremendous value.

Since the 2013's are coming in, you can pick up a '12 GT for $6K under MSRP.
It gets better gas mileage than the 4.6L, your insurance shouldn't be too different, and you won't be worrying about maintenance/repair costs for a few years.

This advice is coming from someone who has sworn by only buying pre-owned before. The '12 GT is just too good to pass up.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
BiH115

I think I might do that!

I was looking around quickly in the neighboring area for 2012's, and found a few V6's for 23-24 grand, which is totally doable. Talk them down 4-5k, 4-5k for trade in. Could potentially walk away with a new car for 14-15K, that would make my day.

I was looking at the performance pack that is an option, with the upgraded wheels and sways, is that worth it over a barebones stock? Or am I better off just finding myself the same upgrades and pocket some cash? Just curious what else to be on the lookout for.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
S197 650
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BiH115
I think I might do that!

I was looking around quickly in the neighboring area for 2012's, and found a few V6's for 23-24 grand, which is totally doable. Talk them down 4-5k, 4-5k for trade in. Could potentially walk away with a new car for 14-15K, that would make my day.

I was looking at the performance pack that is an option, with the upgraded wheels and sways, is that worth it over a barebones stock? Or am I better off just finding myself the same upgrades and pocket some cash? Just curious what else to be on the lookout for.
There are certainly deals to be had on the 2012's right now, while they last.

As for options, I'd say the majority of things could be added on for cheaper/better through aftermarket. For example, you'll can find wider/lighter wheels and better sway bars for cheaper later on.

A few weeks ago, there were less than ten '12 GT's in my area and I just went after the least expensive one left. I don't regret at all the options I didn't get - I'm planning on using that money for more satisfying mods (suspension, exhaust, tune, etc.)

Good luck and I hope you get a good deal!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM
BiH115

What I figured, this kind of has me all hyped up now. I'm finding a few good deals, once I round up a few potential candidates, I'll throw a link or two of my top choice or maybe top 2 choices.

I'd sure like to do some moderate modding to it.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Hey man, what part of NH are you from? I'd be more than happy to give you a ride in my 07 if it helps you make up your mind.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Make sure u get a 08 or newer so u don't have to worry about the water leak issue. As someone has already mentioned u would need some upgraded suspension and sound deadening. I personally did my doors and trunk. I'm going to pau to have the rest done which will run about 600 dollars. The car felt under powered to me when I got it but that has since changed. Another thing u should know is that the spark plugs are a two piece plig and if they haven't been changed u must be carefull when taking them out bc they can break apart.

So of u wanted a stang that was somewhat similar to your ride u would be looking around spending another 3k if u got a hand held tuner and cai. Keep us updated
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
mrangryface

I think some of the favorite things about the mustang i've owned for barely over a month is the reaction it gets from random people and other mustang owners.

The day I rolled off the lot I was waiting to get into a steady stream of traffic and this 4th gen mustang stopped dead and flashed its lights to let me in.

Also been stopped in parking lots to discuss what I plan to do with mods, what I think of the 2013, the dealership i got mine at.

I've even had several people compliment just the looks of the car, including a kid that gave me a thumbs up and said "sweet ride".

Never got any of that driving my 2008 focus around ;P
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

I have an '08 GT Premium and '06 BMW 330 6 speed coupe which is my daily driver. I love them both, but totally different cars. The Mustang V-8 is raw power and a joy to drive and is super sharp looking, ours is a Vert. My BMW w/sports & premium pkg also has 18" OEM tires with 35 series in rear & 40 up front. The car literally handles like a slot car and the Inline 6 is smooth a silk plus very fast and great MPG. On average the BMW gets ~ 5-6 MPG better vs the Stang. The BMW also looks and feels much lighter and also balanced 50-50 so it handles the curves better and also brakes much better. But the Stang handles ok and has that great raw power and rumbles that is missing in the BMW. Also, the Stang you can use regular Gas unlike the BMW 330's that require Premium. Comfort features are about equal but the Mustang is definitely noiser inside but not too bad, I like them both fairly loaded inside w/equipment.

Last edited by yanks1; 04-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 AM
300HorsesAndCounting

I got my 06 Gt vert with 43k miles for 18,500. Very happy and would do it over again. And as for camaros, i sat it one and then immediatel sat in a mustang and didnt even drive a camaro because the interior design alone sold me. Sitting in that camaro is like strapping into a bunker. Okay a little exaggerated there but just go with a stang. You'll be happy you did!

Quick Reply: First time thoughts of Mustang