Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

C.A.I.: Air Raid or Steeda?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
65sohc

Since the Steeda guys are monitoring this forum I have a related question for you. Do you actually measure the amount of negative pressure created in the stock intake tube and compare it to your product? The reason I ask is because there is a large segment of the enthusiast audience who say that nearly all the power gain comes from the tune and virtually identical results could be obtained by tuning with the stock CAI. I just bought a 2013 Boss 302. I connected a U-tube manometer at the sound tube port and planned to do a WOT run to see how much negative pressure, and thus resistance to airflow, there is in the stock system. The instant I went full throttle the water in the manometer was sucked into the intake leading me to think that it is fairly restrictive. Do you Steeda guys have any data on this? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
2011P51GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
I would recommend the Steeda, for obvious reasons.

Just take a look at the reviews of it on our site and around the boards.

It's made in the USA, features a lifetime warranty, velocity stack that smooths incoming air (aiding smoother airflow for proper MAF signal readings, which helps keep that great driveability of stock), high-flow lifetime air filter, and the heat shield actually conforms to the underside of the hood using CAD data directly from Ford and also utilizes the stock cold air ducts.

Let me know if I can help you with one of those.
Hey Brandon - any suggestions on a shop in the Phoenix area that can do a custom dyno tune when I add one of the Steeda CAIs to my setup? I think I can get to 600 crank HP with a CAI and tune - Edelbrock supplied tunes will only work with the stock air box.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

as many have stated, the tune makes the biggest difference. I personally went with Steeda and an 89 oct. tune for my 2010 gt even though it was the most expensive. It looks absolutely incredible under the hood, and you can hear the sucking noise when you step on the gas. The amount of air it takes in compared to stock is alot more than i expected, and install is very easy. I highly recommend steeda and a tune

here is the finished product:
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM
mSaLL150

Is the Steeda intake CARB certified in California? Not that it matters, easy enough to return to stock for inspection but on my F150 the K&N intake is CARB certified and passed smog inspection with it installed and with custom dyno tunes loaded.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
SchoolBoss

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Since the Steeda guys are monitoring this forum I have a related question for you. Do you actually measure the amount of negative pressure created in the stock intake tube and compare it to your product? The reason I ask is because there is a large segment of the enthusiast audience who say that nearly all the power gain comes from the tune and virtually identical results could be obtained by tuning with the stock CAI. I just bought a 2013 Boss 302. I connected a U-tube manometer at the sound tube port and planned to do a WOT run to see how much negative pressure, and thus resistance to airflow, there is in the stock system. The instant I went full throttle the water in the manometer was sucked into the intake leading me to think that it is fairly restrictive. Do you Steeda guys have any data on this? Thanks.
I was torn on the Airaid vs. Steeda, and have a 2013 Boss. I got the Airaid as I wasn't ready to commit to a custom tune, and the "no-tune" sleeve allows this. Performance issues aside, one thing that I ran into is something I am not sure any CAI manufacturer has addressed. The heat extractors on the Boss sit right over the cold air box. While this would in theory allow another line of cold air, it is also a handy way to get a healthy amount of WATER in your intake. I know this from firsthand experience. I didn't ingest too much, but after the car sat in a downpour, I started, chugged, and stalled....and got a CEI for my trouble which was the MAF circuit bugging out, because the end of it was SUBMERGED in about 3/4 cup of water in the intake tube!!!

Not enough to cause harm, but I don't think the 2012 design is really workable on the 2013 hood....certainly not without blocking off a minimum of 3 of the 6 extractors on the driver's side....and with the hood being a different design for the 2013 Boss, I am not sure anyone has sufficiently addressed this.

Curious if any other 2013 Boss owners have dealt with this? Mine is a DD, so I do need to deal with rain!

Cheers
SchoolBoss
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Dario Orlando did a test here where we saw no water getting onto the filter when we were spraying water directly over the vent in the parking lot. Dario has also driven the Boss car and his personal 2013 GT through very heavy rain in traffic so he had to stop occasionally in heavy rain and saw no issues.

I think you may have experience a unique situation.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

This might sound a little.... needy, but is there a forum code for a discount direct from steeda? In my old Mach I ran almost exclusively steeda parts, and I plan on doing the same here on my new car... planned so far are Steeda Suspension Pack, Tri-ax, CAI (Maybe, if I dont go with shaker), exhaust (maybe here too) and some cosmetic stuff
Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
This might sound a little.... needy, but is there a forum code for a discount direct from steeda? In my old Mach I ran almost exclusively steeda parts, and I plan on doing the same here on my new car... planned so far are Steeda Suspension Pack, Tri-ax, CAI (Maybe, if I dont go with shaker), exhaust (maybe here too) and some cosmetic stuff
No forum code that I know of, but just call them and ask. They will price match in my experience...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Yes, I will shoot you a PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Cardstang
1st Gear Member

I'm very happy with my Steeda on my '10.

Quick Reply: C.A.I.: Air Raid or Steeda?