Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3vstangs vortech build...nice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Default 3vstangs vortech build...nice

Hey everybody, i got a great deal on a Air to Air intercooled v3 set up from a guy on this forum. I only needed to order a few minor things like spark plugs, a boost-a-pump, some radiator hoses...ect. I have already finished the install, but i will be adding more to the car so i will just update as i go rather than creating multiple threads. It took me a little over a week in my garage to put everything together, due to my hectic work schedule, and shipping on my radiator hoses taking forever. I finally got it running this morning, triple checked everything and took it for a spin...man i love it. I am running a brenspeed tune for now, Im still trying to make my mind up on a few things before i get it dyne tuned.

parts in basement

blower is bigger than my shoe (thats a size 11) lol

Car taken apart

Intercooler mounted

Blower mounted

IAT sensor relocation install

I did my own P/S relocation set up, i custom made a bracket out of stainless and bought hoses from a local hydraulic shop.

Intercooler piping

Boost-A-Pump Install

A quick video of it running on the first start up. I only revved to bout 3k.

I love that whistle.

As time went on i got so into the install i forgot to take more pictures. I will snap a couple more of the finished product. They were taken from my phone, so sorry for the poor quality. Overall though, i am extremely happy with the results. there will be more to come.

Last edited by 3vStang; 08-14-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Damn no one cares? Lol I will update anyway

A couple quick shots of the finished (for now) blower

I finally got some time to just mess around and do some long needed wire clean up. I had tore apart my HID wiring set up to try to clean it up a while ago, but I remember something came up that day so I just shoved everything toward the inside of the fender and left it. It never gave me any issues so I just kept putting off re running the wires. Anyway just a couple shots of me taping and tucking things today.

This is all the wires pulled apart, and pulled away from the fender (it wasn't just sitting like this lol) but you get the idea

And this is what I cleaned it up to

Im not done I just ran out of time.

And this is just another shot of the stainless bracket I made, idk I love the look. I may start using it when I relocate anything else from now on. I still want to trim about 1/8-1/4 inch off the back end though.

Nothing big I just like to update the thread. My boost gauge should be in within the week so I can mount that with my pillar when everything is ready.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:54 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

looks good. im planing on going air to air as well. but i want to run a blow thu maf so i can run a bov instead of just a bypas valve. then i need a forged botom end so i can run my smaller pully. think it should make about 18lbs of boost when im done. as far as i know from reserch, not many people upgrade past the interooled v3. i plan on pushing it to its max. post some numbers if you get it on a dyno as im interested in what im looking forward to.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris09
looks good. im planing on going air to air as well. but i want to run a blow thu maf so i can run a bov instead of just a bypas valve. then i need a forged botom end so i can run my smaller pully. think it should make about 18lbs of boost when im done. as far as i know from reserch, not many people upgrade past the interooled v3. i plan on pushing it to its max. post some numbers if you get it on a dyno as im interested in what im looking forward to.
Ya I know I just put the damn thing in but I've been considering switching to a blow through setup as well. It is easier to tune than a draw through set up, plus the bypass valve just isn't loud enough lol. I have to call evolution and schedule a tune within the next couple weeks. I hardly drive the thing. Between work and classes i hardly have time for anything anymore lol. I will post numbers though.

Good luck with your build...18lbs will be pushing some power.

Last edited by 3vStang; 08-14-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

I've been busy the past couple days so here are a couple updates. Boost gauge is in. I went with the autolite cobalt series because it goes with the blue theme of my car.

I spliced the power wire into the black/white stripped wire on my dimmer

Vacuum line to the boost gauge. Need to cover those wires still.

All powered up. It is less purple in person

My next focus on this build is weight reduction. I already pulled my spare tire/jack from my trunk. I have yet to do the final numbers, but this just about equals out the addition of my sub/amp/sound deadening. Will add those numbers soon.

Next. I pulled my front sway bar. There are two positives to this. Weight reduction and more room down by my intercooler piping. There is not much room down there. I should have just removed it when I was doing the blower install...but I didn't idk why.

That's a little better, even more when I get my sway bar delete.

While I was down there I decided to pull my brake dust shields. The weight is minimal, but it all adds up in the end.

Removed the rotor and caliper. There are three 10mm bolts holding each shield on.

I know the majority of these items have been weighed either on the how much does it weigh thread, or by Matt d, but I am using my scale and weighing each part for consistancy, and my records.

When all was said and done.

Front sway bar/brackets- 15.5lbs
End links - 2lbs
Brake dust shields and bolts - 4lbs

Total 21.5lbs removed

If a weight is close between halves I always round down. I try to be as exact as possible with my weights, but I'd rather guess lower than higher.

I am ordering my sway bar delete at some point this week and I will have pics of that as well.

Can't wait to see what this thing runs.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

keep me posted on the swaybar delete. i know its supposed to help out alot at the track but wonder about spirited street carving.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Ill update this a little. I hardly have any time between my work schedule and classes starting back up, but it is coming along slowly but surely.

I installed my bmr sway bar delete, knocked off another 11lbs. Here is a quick comparison to the stock piece. Much more room under the car for all the intercooler piping now as well.

kinda hard to get a good picture under there.

Next. I pulled the evap system. The primary reason i got rid of this was for aesthetics, it looks so much better without that eyesore of a box hanging down, and now you can see all my suspension parts too. it also pulled some weight from the car. I have seen a couple different results for wight, but when i weighed everything it came out to 16.5lbs. I did not pull the line running to the front of the car, incase i ever want to re-install it. Tank is vented, and the manifold is plugged. Got a tune to turn off the CELs.
Nice!

Now i am in the process of doing a semi wire tuck. I shortened and tucked the WIndshield washer motor line behind the cowl.

before

during

after

Also while i was at it, i decided to pull the wires going to my fog lights, i never use them, in fact i might get a bullit grille. you might ask why not just tuck them away instead of removing them? honestly idk, i OCD about these damn wires, so i pulled them from the fuse box, i also removed the sensor which tells when the hood is open/closed, soldered those wires together so now the car doesnt beep twice when i lock it with the hood open. yes i know i could just hit the lock button once, but tice is a habit. plus it cleans up the bay a little.

Apparently ford decided to use 13ft of damn wire for the passenger fog, when it only needs to be about two feet long. Stretched out it is longer than the car lol.

Finally i removed these two tabs off the Ecu mounting bracket, due to rearranging lines for the intercooler piping, the plastic tabs wouldnt line up with the stock holes anymore, and the wires were a little tight to the brackets, so i buzzed them off quick to clear up a little room.

Cleaned them off, taped up and shot them quick... the untrained eye won't even be able to tell.

Sorry for the long winded post about things that are not too important, just sharing ideas for everyone else to see.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Wheres the dyno sheet
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Nice set up! You're gonna love it!!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yes, very nice! congrats on doing it yourself