Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Headers Ruined My Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:58 AM
RADTech

Default Headers Ruined My Exhaust!!!

Hey guys, since I put headers and high flow converters on my 2010 GT I can't find the right mufflers that will give me a reasonably good roar when i step on it but won't drone like crazy.II've tried fat glass packs and then MAC mufflers both of which drone toooo loud. Then tried Bullitt mufflers but they were even more quiet than stock GT mufflers!

Doesn't anybody make mufflers that produce volume without the stupid droning??? Must I take out a second mortgage for some fancy shmancy designer mufflers? Remember, with the 2010 my choices are limited also.

FRP has a 2010 GT only version of the FR500. Does this drone with headers and high flow cats? It looks like a really fat glass pack with square cut tips. Is this a good choice for my requirements?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:19 AM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Have you tryed some roush mufflers? Idk about the drone with them...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

They're not as loud as some, but people seem to like magnaflows as well. Do a search on YouTube for different setups. Search mustang with magnaflows and LT's. something is bound to come up.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...Road-2010.html
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

GOOGLE:

"Branch Resonator"

Happy reading.

I have heard with the right calculations this will eliminate drone from any setup. I'm looking into doing this myself. F drone!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have been there dude, I know the pain you are feeling. Add some cams and it gets worse. Mid mounted pypes m80s will cure any trumpeting and swapping the rear muffler will cure the drone. Magnaflows will sound good. I added flowmasters after cams and LTs with HF cats and it sounded great.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510gt.html Amazon has it for $293

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-m...xhaust-gt.html

Look through the for sale threads here or over at s197forums.com as the flowmasters come up for sale quite often. Magnaflows rarely come up for sale used.

Listen on youtube with headphones for a real representation of the sound.

Last edited by 808muscle; 09-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 AM
RADTech

I should add that I started with the Roush off road catback setup with stock manifolds and converters which sounded really awesome. But then they sounded ridiculous with the Kooks headers and hi flo cats with X pipe. Then i tried Nxt Step Performance GP mufflers with huge droning. Called Kooks and they said X pipes are more for racing and will sound trumpety while H pipes sound better, and also I should have a chambered muffler. I put in an X pipe and tried MAC mufflers with same droning....and so on.

After researching the branch resonator option it is clear that the engineering involved in exhaust systems goes way beyond random muffler selection. I now plan to custom fabricate resonator tubes to bring this drone problem under control.

But I still need better 2010 mufflers with the EXTENDED TIPS that are actually an inch or so LONGER than '05-'09 tips. I like the FR500S tips but I wonder if they drone.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

So would the H-Pipe sound better?? I'm asking because down the road on plan on getting some Kooks headers. I already have a Roush Axle back, but been thinking to go with a H midpipe to keep that deep sound...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

When we got long tube headers on our 06GT we had the same problem.
Went through four different mufflers and finally had success with the Bassani Race exhaust mufflers.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
So would the H-Pipe sound better?? I'm asking because down the road on plan on getting some Kooks headers. I already have a Roush Axle back, but been thinking to go with a H midpipe to keep that deep sound...
It's all preference.. I'll admit an h-pipe has a better "rumble" but I love the sound of an x-pipe and the racey scream it has.. I've used x-pipes on all my mustangs..

Quick Reply: Headers Ruined My Exhaust!!!