Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

storing car

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

I've always left the least amount of fuel in the car as possible (quarter tank or less). However, about every 3 weeks or so I would start it up and back out to the edge of the door (10ft away) let it warm all the way up for 10-15mins. I never really had a problem with the fuel octane, but if it was a long winter I'll add some fresh fuel or octane booster. Also, this prevents the same valve springs from being compressed and keeps all the components oiled for 4months or so.

Shane
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM
nolimits

Topping off the tank just keeps less surfaces exposed to air. Plastic tanks eliminate any corrosion problems, but you still have the pump assembly.

The problem with warming the car is the condensation you create on shut-down each time. You'll also never get the oil warm enough to boil out any moisture build up.

An octane reduction isn't something you'll notice. I'm not going to take the time to find the articles because I read them some time ago, but there have been many tests on storing fuels. Fuel has it's own stabilizer, and can sit for over a year before it begins to break down. Octane will begin to lower in less than a month, several points over a winter. I'm not sure even stabil keeps that from happening.

I don't see the point of moving the car. As long as there's sufficient air in the tires it should be fine. What's going to happen? I think people just miss their rides and want to play with them. I know I've wanted to!

If you put your car away just as you drive it, I see no reason it wouldn't be every bit as good as the car that someone made all the extra efforts to maintain. At the same time, this is about as endless as the discussion of "which oil is best". Everybody has an opinion, there's no solid evidence, and everybody's method works. So just do whatever you're most comfortable with.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Put the stabil in at 1/2 tank, and then try to get the fuel as low as possible. The "low fuel" warning should be on. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it until it dies (before removing the battery, obviously).
ElWrongO.
You want 100% full gas tank for storage with StaBil.
Less area for water molicules in the air to condense.
You also want the StaBil in the fuel filter and the whole fuel system.
Do not pull the Fuel Pump fuse and run her dry.
Thats really bad for Fuel Injected vehicles.
You never want to run a Fuel Injected engine
out of fuel.

A moisture absorber device in mandatory for the inside.
Change the oil/filter before putting her up to get the nasty
old acid/moisture laden oil out of there.