Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Heart Broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Default Heart Broken

Well as some of you know I just bought a used 2006 GT. I love the car. I got it at a great price and am begining to wonder if it was too good to be true. Between the storm Sandy and the past 2 wash jobs I have given it I have noticed a pool of water on the drivers side. While observing this I noticed that the seat mounts are showing surface rust. So I assume this has been happening. Anyway I searched this forum and the rest of the internet to find that first you should check the 2 ruber gromets under the cowl. I only found 1 pretty much directly under the passenger side wiper blade. To my surprise it was packed solid. So my question is will this packed gromet cause the water to go back into the car? Its already too dark and cold to mess with it anymore and its killing me so any advice or links to help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

There is a well known technical service bulletin about water leakage in the early Mustangs. Check the main forum for the list of TSBs.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
There is a well known technical service bulletin about water leakage in the early Mustangs. Check the main forum for the list of TSBs.
I have been looking I cant seem to find it though. I did do a search as well. My question is if that gromet is packed and it backs up with water can it leak into the drivers side or can it only go through the passenger side compartment throught the cabin filter?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd strongly suggest you check the grommet on the drivers side. If water has been getting in prior to your ownership AND you're not noticing any electrical problems, then the issue related to the TSB is likely NOT the cause of the water inside the cabin. The TSB issue results in water dripping down the inside of the passenger kick panel and onto the SJB which eventually allows corrosion with electrical tracking and hence the gremlins.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'd strongly suggest you check the grommet on the drivers side. If water has been getting in prior to your ownership AND you're not noticing any electrical problems, then the issue related to the TSB is likely NOT the cause of the water inside the cabin. The TSB issue results in water dripping down the inside of the passenger kick panel and onto the SJB which eventually allows corrosion with electrical tracking and hence the gremlins.
Thank you for your response. I did check the grommet on the drivers side and yes it was blocked tight. Could that grommet being blocked be the culprit? If yes where would the water get in at? I am hoping that this is the only problem. I cant say for sure but I think that the water came in when I was parked going slight up hill. I went to get a six pack of beer to come home and watch some football. When I came out I noticed the floor was soaked. If the drivers side grommet was blocked will that lead to leaks on the driver side?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HKSkook
Thank you for your response. I did check the grommet on the drivers side and yes it was blocked tight. Could that grommet being blocked be the culprit? If yes where would the water get in at? I am hoping that this is the only problem. I cant say for sure but I think that the water came in when I was parked going slight up hill. I went to get a six pack of beer to come home and watch some football. When I came out I noticed the floor was soaked. If the drivers side grommet was blocked will that lead to leaks on the driver side?
Yes, well known issue on the mustang resulting in water pooling up until it floods into the cabin.

Google TSB 07-14-6

1) Two Rubber grommets in firewall get plugged up with leaves, etc.
2) Foam seals around the 10 windshield cowl mounting tabs.
3) The entire windshield cowl welded seam at the top of the firewall under the windshield cowl.
4) Rubber grommets entering the cabin thru the firewall.
5) Rubber grommets in both doors where they attach to the car body.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
Yes, well known issue on the mustang resulting in water pooling up until it floods into the cabin.

Google TSB 07-14-6

1) Two Rubber grommets in firewall get plugged up with leaves, etc.
2) Foam seals around the 10 windshield cowl mounting tabs.
3) The entire windshield cowl welded seam at the top of the firewall under the windshield cowl.
4) Rubber grommets entering the cabin thru the firewall.
5) Rubber grommets in both doors where they attach to the car body.
Thanks it was blocked for sure. I just hope that was all it was. Is there anything else preventive or otherwise? I dont wanna keep dealing with this. So when the water backs up it leaks through a wiring grommet into the cab? So with the drain grommet opened up it shouldnt be a problem? I found all this out right before the Bears game started. Now its dark and its eating me alive! I've been out to the car 4 times already looking around. The passenger side grommet I was able to feel from the bottom has been pushed up into the resivour but it is open for water. Which would problally explain why my passenger side is dry. Hoping I can get my carpets dry enough in this cold weather.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

These two grommets should be cleaned regularly as they are the major leak culprit once they plug up. I added all the other potential leak spots covered in the TSB in case you notice continued leaking even with cleaned out grommets.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
HKSkook
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
These two grommets should be cleaned regularly as they are the major leak culprit once they plug up. I added all the other potential leak spots covered in the TSB in case you notice continued leaking even with cleaned out grommets.
Yes thanks again after reading over the TSB the 2nd time. I know where to keep looking if the problem keeps up. But in theory isnt there still a problem that even though the water backed up it still had to leak somewhere? I guess the first place to check would be the lowest point which would be the wiring grommet? I guess what I'm saying is that something still isnt water tight even though if the channel isnt overflowing it should not be a problem. I will say I am kind of glad that this is a common problem and not just my car! Thanks again for putting up with this newb. I am very thankful for the help and glad I picked this forum compared to the others for my Mustang knowledge.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I suggest pulling the plugs out of the doors too. Water has been known to fill up there too and spill into the inside cabin. Look at the bottom of the doors and you'll see what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Heart Broken