Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X pipes and dealing with CA emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

Default X pipes and dealing with CA emissions

Im in the market looking for a deeper sound for my 08 GT, but I'm stuck with CARB laws here in the wonderful republic of Kalifornistan. It seems like the only option that I have is either a Magnaflow catted X pipe or the cut and clamp option, the FRPP cut and clamp x pipe, Borla's cut and clamp and pypes cut and cramp.

Just curious if anyone here has used these options and what are your opinions on these setups.

Last edited by yellowneck86; 01-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellowneck86
Im in the market looking for a deeper sound for my 08 GT, but I'm stuck with CARB laws here in the wonderful republic of Kalifornistan. It seems like the only option that I have is either a Magnaflow catted X pipe or the cut and clamp option, the FRPP cut and clamp x pipe, Borla's cut and clamp and pypes cut and cramp.

Just curious if anyone here has used these options and what are your opinions on these setups.
borla makes a cut and clamp?

but I agree with these stupid emissions standards, same here in NY. I dont know about pypes, magna, frpp, but im running the bbk catted x and it sounds and performs well. As far as emissions, i havent gotten it inspected yet but not expecting any issues really
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

yep, summit racing had more options when i was looking for exhaust mods.

Borla cut and clamp
Magnaflow cut and clamp

I cant touch the cats unless i replace them and they must remain in the same place as they came out of the factory. Wish i could do longtubes and a catted shorty xpipe....screw it, i want off roads.

Last edited by yellowneck86; 01-02-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellowneck86
yep, summit racing had more options when i was looking for exhaust mods.

Borla cut and clamp
Magnaflow cut and clamp

I cant touch the cats unless i replace them and they must remain in the same place as they came out of the factory. Wish i could do longtubes and a catted shorty xpipe....screw it, i want off roads.
Lol man i know how you feel. Ive made at least 3 or 4 posts trying everything to get around emissions and go with LT's. It's such horse**** that we cant do what we want with our cars..
Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

It's stupid about what you can and can't do to pass visual even if it can pass sniff, but if you want the least amount of hassle at inspection, either do the cut and clamp (leave the factory cats in place) or get a replacement and keep your stock H/cats for inspection only.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I came to California with kooks LTs and hi-fow catted X, it was great sounding and power was very noticeable especially on the top end. Had to go back to stock cast manifolds and H pipe. I think the biggest problem is the visual inspection as I had to argue with the inspection guy who said my stock H pipe failed visual despite having the FoMoCo stamp as the pipe was in better condition than the rest of the exhaust piping (cause it was off in storage for years). The good DIY say switching out the mid pipe is a 45 min job. Maybe worth that amount of time and effort every two years during inspection to run a hi-flow X that will yield better sound and performance as the stock cats affect the sound significantly. I've been looking at the magnaflow hi-flow x pipe which bolts to the stock manifolds.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

first, if you want a deeper old school sound, get rid of the x pipe and get an H pipe. that alone will give you the deeper sound sound you want. Second, get you some glass pacs, such as cherry bombs or something like them and have them mounted directly under the cabin.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I did the FRPP cut and clamp and it didn't affect the sound at all unless you were above 4,500RPM and then it wasn't all that noticeable, not like what you're probably wanting to achieve. I'd leave the mid piping alone and look elsewhere for noise.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Yay for the Tree hugging ****'s! I was so ready to get LT's on my 95 but alas the Hippies killed my dream. IF I had the storage space I would just get a new LT set up and change out every two years when inspection comes around. Good luck.

Matthew
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Another option if you're just looking for cats is to find a good exhaust shop that can cut out your H and weld in an X pipe in its place. It might be a cheaper option than Borla or Magnaflow.

Even aftermarket high flow cats may not pass the sniffer. Most are two way cats and CA requires three way cats. My friend had a catted X on an '02 Cobra and it failed the sniffer.

Quick Reply: X pipes and dealing with CA emissions