Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Twin-turboing 4.6L 3v

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Du5tan

Default Twin-turboing 4.6L 3v

I've found this kit and it's a great price for some, from what I've read and heard, great turbos. I'm not too savvy on forced induction, but I know enough to realize I'm gonna need more than just what comes in the kit to install it. Can you guys take a look and tell me what other parts will all be needed so I can get an idea of what kinda money I'll be shelling out and what else I'll need to order?

http://www.himni-racing.com/turbocha...gt2871r-700-hp
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

With that much added horsepower, comes added stress on axles and other things. Make sure you're all beefed up enough for the HP gain, and go easy on the throttle for the first week or so! just my opinion
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Du5tan

Definitely! I'm planning on doing all the beefing-up of the non-turbo related parts first, or at the same time as the install, but I just gotta figure out what parts in regards to installing the turbo I'll need. Thanks, man!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

Ohhh gotcha, yeah I'm not sure about all that but good luck man!(:
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, I'm no expert, but based on my limited knowledge, it doesn't look like it has any of the cold side piping from teh turbos to the intake manifold, it doesn't looks like it has all the hot side from the turbos to your cats or Hpipe, it doesn't have an intercooler, no blow off valve. and that's the turbo portion of the plumbing, there is no fuel system upgrade (pumps or boost-a-pump, fuel rails, higher flow injectors). And it doesn't sound like it has any kind of tune included, which means you'll need a handheld tuner and fork over the money for a dyno tune. I'd ask them if any kind of instructions are included.
You may be better off going with something like the hellion systems, which are closer to bolt-on or going to a tuner near you that specializes in turbos. They are just not providing much info there, look at lethal performance where they have a single turbo system, they list out every single part included, with a little sense you could check out that list and do a little research and figure out what the system you are currently looking at is missing.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...bo-system.html
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

As stated that is only a partial kit and not a very good deal. Do you specifically want a twin kit? The best bang for your buck is the kit from S&H Performance. This kit has piping similar to the Hellion kit but uses a Comp Turbo and good W/G, BOV valves it also include a fuel system upgrade. Jeremy and Bobby are great guys with fantastic customer service. http://www.sandhperformance.com/?page_id=21

If you really want a twin kit then contact Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower.com http://www.turbohorsepower.com/20050...omponents.html He can fix you up. I have Jim's kit on mine and it is a great kit.

Earl
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yeah dude that kit is kinda misleading. You need to read a lot of older threads on FI and really educate yourself on the differences. You should define what you want from FI, and I don't mean..." I want 700hp". That's not good enough. Learn the differences between turbos and superchargers. Realize the stock block is good for about 450/500 rwhp before sh$t starts to pop. The tune is everything too. And then after all that power is available you need to think about an upgraded clutch, LCA's and other suspension parts.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Du5tan

I've been doing tons of reading trying to get to know more of the differences and pros/cons. Based on what I've read, turbos will prolong the life of the car to some extent and drivability (gas mileage-wise and such) when you're not trying to go all out day-to-day is better than with a supercharger and since it's a daily driver, I kinda gotta worry about that stuff for now.

When you say that "the stock block is good for about 450/500 rwhp before sh$t starts to pop", you mean the internals, right?

From the flywheel and everything back of that is gonna be my next move, I think. That or cams, so I should be good there before I even buy the turbo kit because I know the stock driveshaft is only rated for like 450 hp and the clutch starts slipping around there too.

And Earl, on TurboHorsepower.com the kit say 2005-2006. Do you know if its exclusive to those years or if it'll fit up to 2010?

Last edited by Du5tan; 01-18-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Go to Dan at Pro Dyno in Fort Mill, SC (pro-dyno.net). He can install it, tune it or recommend a system for your needs. Give him a call or send an email. He's pretty busy so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to get back to you.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Du5tan

And Earl, on TurboHorsepower.com the kit say 2005-2006. Do you know if its exclusive to those years or if it'll fit up to 2010?
It should work fine but you can call Jim and find out for sure, it probably needs a different water pipe as the 07 and up changed the water crossover setup.

If you are going turbo then don't waste your money on cams. The stock cams work very well with a turbo and you are limited to around 450 rwhp by the stock rods. The turbo alone is capable of going way past that so any extra hp from a cam swap is just wasted. If you ever build a forged shortblock then put in some cams.

Earl

Quick Reply: Twin-turboing 4.6L 3v