Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tube headers + no tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Long tube headers + no tune?

What's up everyone. I've been deciding between BBK LT's and their catted mid pipe, or a cold air and bama tuner combo from americanmuscle. I haven't gotten much clear feedback on which to buy first so i thought it was time to hit the forums.

I really want to purchase the headers first because I want that deep aggressive sound on my 3v, but is it safe to run without a tune? The only reason why I'm actually contemplating this decision is because my 06 3v is in mint condition both mechanically and cosmetically with 18k miles and I want to do what's best. What do you think?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Not only will long tubes not run optimally without a tune, you will get better performance by doing the CAI and tuner first. The reason you NEED a tune for long tube headers is because they replace or remove the factory cats. The associated O2 sensors will not be sending the right information to the computer and it will run poorly.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

breathegood has all the info covered for you. A tune is required for LT headers on any OBDII Mustang. Plus, the engine will be running much leaner without any tune adjustments.

Your best bet is to get a CAI and Bama tuner first. Then down the road you can always add LT headers and shorty mid-pipe. At that point you'll be enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program, so we'll be able to easily send you new tune updates for the LT headers. Allowing your engine to run safely and efficiently with the new upgrades!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or shoot me a PM!

Shane
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

CAI/tune first, there's just no other sensible way!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

yeah thats what i figured, my gut is telling me that its not a good idea running them without a tune, but its all so expensive lol.

btw you guys at americamuscle.com are great! great customer service and reliability. the last time i ordered from them i had it delivered literally in less than 24 hours with standard shipping to Brooklyn, NY
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
... its all so expensive ...
You gotta pay to play.

Once you install the CAI and load one of the custom tunes, you won't MIND the outlay.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i see you live in NY as well as i do. i was steered away from LT's on both of my cars because of emissions. If i were you, i'd do some research if you are allowed to have LT's in your area. Even if you can run them, getting it to pass a smog test with a catted mid pipe could be hard.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Get the CAI and tune first. From this point on you will have no money...........its all going to the mustang. Just accept it, you have no will power.....none of us do. Look at our sigs. LOL
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
yeah thats what i figured, my gut is telling me that its not a good idea running them without a tune, but its all so expensive lol.

btw you guys at americamuscle.com are great! great customer service and reliability. the last time i ordered from them i had it delivered literally in less than 24 hours with standard shipping to Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for the support. You guys near by on the north-east coast really benefit from our same day free shipping! Doesn't get much better than that haha.

Shane
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

I plan on installing a CAI w/ a Bama tune and Kooks long tube headers this summer. Is there any benefit to installing the CAI/tune before the long tubes? Or would ordering a tune that's setup for the CAI and longtubes and then installing them both at once be ok? I'm assuming there's no real difference other than the fact that I wouldn't notice the difference that the CAI/tune makes by itself (and same with the LTs if installed later).

Quick Reply: Long tube headers + no tune?