Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roush supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've never understood that about the KB. Twin screws should theoretically run cooler than roots blowers, but the KBs run hot as hell. I've always assumed it has something to do with their rotor housing material, but I would think that would be an easy fix?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I've never understood that about the KB. Twin screws should theoretically run cooler than roots blowers, but the KBs run hot as hell. I've always assumed it has something to do with their rotor housing material, but I would think that would be an easy fix?
That's exactly why, they use billet which soaks heat a lot more and doesn't dissipate as well as the cast used by other companies.. Also why they are more silent and less prone to any cracks or malfunction though.. I never really saw a problem with heat though running an intercooler.. And the 2.6 in my opinion is a more appropriately sized blower than the 2.3.. I also thought they looked much nicer under the hood.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm a fan of KBs. Almost bought one. Ultimately decided against it after chatting with a KB owner at Gulfport Dragway one night. He was waiting 40 minutes between runs to get his heat soak down enough to make another decent pass. All positive displacement blowers are prone to heat soak, but that kind of time was unacceptable for me. The 2.3 and 2.6 are both capable of more than the stock heads, internals, exhaust, etc can handle and both are pretty efficient. I'll give it to you that the KB looks better under the hood, but silence is not golden. That whipple whine is intoxicating.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 02-13-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Sorry but this isn't true for anything but flat out dyno runs. If all you do is run your car on a dyno fine get a twin screw and maybe running to 200mph otherwise the TVS and even the Roots will run cooler. Why because for at least 95% of the time you're not making boost when driving and during those times a TVS and a Roots open the bypass valve which eliminates any boost and heat. With a screw blower they always make boost even with the bypass open because they make boost in the screws and the boost is dropped to zero after the heat is absorbed by the intercooler. This means while cruising your heat exchanger is absorbing heat limiting its capacity and most heat exchanger setups are way undersize. One run and you're pulling timing and cruising doesn't give the heat exchanger system time to recover. Don't believe KBs ad copy unless you're just looking for dyno sheet.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Jay@Hypermotive
Former Sponsor

Lukas I sent you a pm. We offer some impressive roush packages at a great price. Being direct with VMPtuning you'll be very happy with the tune you receive from them. VMP is one of the best tuners in the country for the TVS systems. Anything under 15 lbs of boost I will always recommend TVS over any other PD blower, they are by far the most efficient providing great results and more torque than any other comparable PD. Other than VMP I would recommend Lund tuning, both tuners are proven having some of the fastest cars in the country.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Sorry but this isn't true for anything but flat out dyno runs. If all you do is run your car on a dyno fine get a twin screw and maybe running to 200mph otherwise the TVS and even the Roots will run cooler. Why because for at least 95% of the time you're not making boost when driving and during those times a TVS and a Roots open the bypass valve which eliminates any boost and heat. With a screw blower they always make boost even with the bypass open because they make boost in the screws and the boost is dropped to zero after the heat is absorbed by the intercooler. This means while cruising your heat exchanger is absorbing heat limiting its capacity and most heat exchanger setups are way undersize. One run and you're pulling timing and cruising doesn't give the heat exchanger system time to recover. Don't believe KBs ad copy unless you're just looking for dyno sheet.
I'm a 1/4 mile racer. Meaning my car makes boost 100% of the time. Off the trailer and down the strip. Cool down. Repeat. Back on the trailer. None of the above applies to me. My style of racing pretty much is flat out dyno runs.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't know which blower runs cooler, but I bet they all make near the same power per lb of boost, assuming they manufacture has added an appropriate size intercooler.

I do like the way the roush tvs looks.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Don's Stang
1st Gear Member

I went with the Roush on my 2011, and very happy with it. I used to run a KB on my Lightning, and wish I had gone with a whipple. KB's customer service sucks, if you ever have a issue with one of there blowers good luck

If I were you I would do the Roush or the Ford Racing blower, both awesome kits. If you want a twin screw the Ford Racing kit is awesome, if I was going to be going for all out performance it would have been the Ford Racing kit, but for all around daily driver, the Roush kit won out for me

The Edelbrock which uses the same TVS rotors as the Roush, has good performance numbers, but just so ugly
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Just an FYI - the KBs for the S197s have a billet bypass valve,, just like all the others... so THAT part is null and void.... just food for thought
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Just an FYI - the KBs for the S197s have a billet bypass valve,, just like all the others... so THAT part is null and void.... just food for thought
It is not null and void you obviously don't know the difference between the way a twin screw and a Modified Roots/TVS make power.

Quick Reply: Roush supercharger?