Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default Rear Diff vent tube issue is NO JOKE (Pics) - 2013 GT 8.8" Axle

So I crawled under my car today to make an exhaust adjustment, and also see if my rear diff cover is leaking and noticed massive amounts of fluid covering the axle.

Took it down the street got it on a lift... The vent tube for the axle is pouring fluid out like there is no tomorrow.

I know I hear or read about a TSB on this issue, but couldn't find the TSB... But for those who know of it this is what you might be experiencing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

TSB

Printable View (48 KB) TSB
12-8-15
REAR DRIVE AXLE VENT - OIL LEAK
Publication Date: August 17, 2012
FORD:
2011-2013 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2013 Mustang vehicles with the rear axle vent on the left (driver) side may exhibit a fluid leak from the rear axle vent.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect the rear drive axle assembly for an oil leak from the rattle cap vent located on the left side of the vehicle.
If oil is dripping from the axle tube vent, proceed to Step 2.
If only light oil residue is around the rattle cap vent, this is a normal condition. This article does not apply.
Remove the rattle cap vent from the axle tube. Clean any oil residue from the axle tube using Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner.
Apply Motorcraft® Thread Sealant with PTFE to rattle cap vent threads, reinstall the rattle cap vent and torque to 20 N-m (15 lb-ft).
Check fluid level and set the level 5 mm (3/16") below the fill hole.
PART NUMBERPART NAMEXY-75W140-QLMotorcraft® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle LubricantXL-3Motorcraft® Additive Friction ModifierPM-4-AMotorcraft® Metal Brake Parts CleanerTA-24Motorcraft® Thread Sealant with PTFE

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

12-05-08
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME120815A2011-2013 Mustang: Inspect, Clean And Reseal The Rear Axle Vent, Includes Time To Adjust Fluid Level (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)0.4 Hr.
DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE401042
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company (found on all Mustangs)
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers

Last edited by Gary Ugarek; 04-28-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

At least for me the dust from my dirt road sticks to it and covers it up.

I wonder if a lighter weight gear oil would cool better and prevent this problem.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

I dunno, but definitely taking it in next week to have it fixed. I got RP in there and don't want to be wasting fluid like this.

I have learned one thing, gear oil is a great rust remover, look at the pics. =O)
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

I've been reading up on the 75w90 vs. 75w140 and from what I can tell Ford switched to 75w140 because of premature clutch plate failures in the limited slip diffs. Not sure what year they did that, but pre s197.

Maybe the thicker oil increases heat and causes the pressure to build up more. My diff is hot after a drive, i'll get a reading with my infrared temp gun tomorrow. I brushed it with my shoulder one time and thought damn that's hot. It doesn't help that the exhaust is right there.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
danzcool
4th Gear Member
 
danzcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 GT
Location: CA
Posts: 1,646
Default

This is a very well known issue. I'm surprised the TSB you referenced only has then pulling off the rattle cap, putting teflon on it and reinstalling. Other TSBs had them replacing the rattle cap piece with the turkey baster like vent. The best option is replacing the axle cover with the gt500 finned cover and relocating the rattle cap to the top of the cover and just plugging the axle tube.
__________________

danzcool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

The real question is why did ford move the vent to the drivers side and so much closer to the housing? Mine is on the passenger side at about the center of the axle tube.

3.73 gears probably increase the heat. I'm assuming this is all caused by heat/pressure building up like a volcano.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
This is a very well known issue. I'm surprised the TSB you referenced only has then pulling off the rattle cap, putting teflon on it and reinstalling. Other TSBs had them replacing the rattle cap piece with the turkey baster like vent. The best option is replacing the axle cover with the gt500 finned cover and relocating the rattle cap to the top of the cover and just plugging the axle tube.
Seems the turkey baster only works for 2011. with the 13's because the cap was relocated, the baster, from what I am reading on lowered stangs, melts because of exposure to the exhaust.

I have read about the cover, but if ford ain't paying for it... I am not. I believe FORD has to own up to this fiasco or what happens when these things blow out too much oil and the rear seizes from lack of lubrication? You lock up a rear I would think that is going to be one abrupt stop you don't want to mess with. Plus Ford had the lock ups in the 90's which caused severe crashes if I remember correctly. (rangers or explorers I believe it was) - this was a while ago so don't trust what I say 100%, but I believe there was a recall on this particular item (some fires as well)

They should cough up for the cover and relocation because whether you run RP like I do, or standard FRGO (ford rear gear oil), it is slopping up my parking space. plus slopping up my under carriage.

While I didn't pay sticker for mine, these are $36,000+ cars Ford should be putting a little more quality into this design wouldn't you agree?

Also, I don't need my apartment management bitching my 2013 is leaving oil spots all over the newly paved parking lot. I had a cover leak which I finally fixed prior to them paving the lots, but my spot was just gobs of RGO from that leak, and now this thing is spurting like old faithful.

But my point of the post is for those who may have ignored it was to warn them this is what they might be seeing.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

Mine doesn't leave spots on my cement driveway, but maybe that's because of the sand soaking it up like cat litter. Mines been spewing oil for years and I tried to remove the fill plug to check it and oil started coming out, so I screwed it back in.

I ordered some redline heavy duty shockproof gear oil, so I'll see if that makes it worse or better.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

I am definitely interested in knowing the temps you come up with when you test moose. Please update the thread when you do.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
danzcool
4th Gear Member
 
danzcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2008 GT
Location: CA
Posts: 1,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek View Post
I have read about the cover, but if ford ain't paying for it... I am not. I believe FORD has to own up to this fiasco or what happens when these things blow out too much oil and the rear seizes from lack of lubrication? You lock up a rear I would think that is going to be one abrupt stop you don't want to mess with. Plus Ford had the lock ups in the 90's which caused severe crashes if I remember correctly. (rangers or explorers I believe it was) - this was a while ago so don't trust what I say 100%, but I believe there was a recall on this particular item (some fires as well)
I completely get where you are coming from, definitely work the warranty side of things while you still have it.
__________________

danzcool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang V6
Location: Texas
Posts: 228
Default

ok this is nothing new..... The axle fluid can get very hot under hard drag/street/tracking use. The heat causes the fluid and the trapped air to expand, and frequently it will "weep" out of the vent assembly. The vent assy helps prevent pressure leaks so they dont blow past your rear diff cover.

What it is, it appears that the axle is being overfilled at the factory more than the problem being with the vent itself. If you remove the fill plug and gear oil comes shooting out then its pretty obvious it was overfilled. Just drain and refill it with Ford synthetic and friction modifier and leave the level just below the fill hole & you'll be fine...
CaptainRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
I completely get where you are coming from, definitely work the warranty side of things while you still have it.
I will try like hell. My dealer seems pretty receptive to fixes beyond TSBs, as long as ford will go along with it. Which I hope they would.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek View Post
Seems the turkey baster only works for 2011. with the 13's because the cap was relocated, the baster, from what I am reading on lowered stangs, melts because of exposure to the exhaust.

I have read about the cover, but if ford ain't paying for it... I am not. I believe FORD has to own up to this fiasco or what happens when these things blow out too much oil and the rear seizes from lack of lubrication? You lock up a rear I would think that is going to be one abrupt stop you don't want to mess with. Plus Ford had the lock ups in the 90's which caused severe crashes if I remember correctly. (rangers or explorers I believe it was) - this was a while ago so don't trust what I say 100%, but I believe there was a recall on this particular item (some fires as well)

They should cough up for the cover and relocation because whether you run RP like I do, or standard FRGO (ford rear gear oil), it is slopping up my parking space. plus slopping up my under carriage.

While I didn't pay sticker for mine, these are $36,000+ cars Ford should be putting a little more quality into this design wouldn't you agree?

Also, I don't need my apartment management bitching my 2013 is leaving oil spots all over the newly paved parking lot. I had a cover leak which I finally fixed prior to them paving the lots, but my spot was just gobs of RGO from that leak, and now this thing is spurting like old faithful.

But my point of the post is for those who may have ignored it was to warn them this is what they might be seeing.
There hasn't been a single problem with the rear 'locking up' due to lack of oil from the factory of any vehicle due to the vent. Talk about over exaggerating/misinformation.

You are referring to the differential in the Ranger fracturing.

http://www.faqs.org/car/ford-ranger-2002/power-train/
(first one listed)

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

The Ranger has issues with the vent leaking (like the mustang) but again, nothing reported by NHTSA about differential lock-ups related to it.

If you are dumping that much oil out the diff vent to where it's puddling under the car everytime you drive then there is another problem, over filled or the cap is defective.
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly

Last edited by Derf00; 04-29-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRon View Post
ok this is nothing new..... The axle fluid can get very hot under hard drag/street/tracking use. The heat causes the fluid and the trapped air to expand, and frequently it will "weep" out of the vent assembly. The vent assy helps prevent pressure leaks so they dont blow past your rear diff cover.

What it is, it appears that the axle is being overfilled at the factory more than the problem being with the vent itself. If you remove the fill plug and gear oil comes shooting out then its pretty obvious it was overfilled. Just drain and refill it with Ford synthetic and friction modifier and leave the level just below the fill hole & you'll be fine...
I changed the rear gears in mine from 3.31 to 3.73 and when I noticed this I pulled the plug when I got it on the lift sunday, but nothing came running out, I haven't been to the track since we changed the gears, but I have traveled 95 quite a bit in the last few weeks.

I am aware of the expansion of the fluid, but per my pics that is just way too much spew coming from the vent IMHO. Especially since I filled through the rear fill hole and not the diff cover fill hole.

If anything I would be slightly underfilled.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
There hasn't been a single problem with the rear 'locking up' due to lack of oil from the factory of any vehicle due to the vent. Talk about over exaggerating/misinformation.

You are referring to the differential in the Ranger fracturing.

http://www.faqs.org/car/ford-ranger-2002/power-train/
(first one listed)

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

The Ranger has issues with the vent leaking (like the mustang) but again, nothing reported by NHTSA about differential lock-ups related to it.

If you are dumping that much oil out the diff vent to where it's puddling under the car everytime you drive then there is another problem, over filled or the cap is defective.
I am not saying it happened with Mustangs or this issue, but if the vents are spewing like mine and someone is not diligent in checking under their car what if this problem did cause it?

I would hate to find out the vent is defective to the point it comes loose from the axle and the creates an opening enough to spew all the fuild out and the rear locks up.

I don't know what you do for a living but I do QA, actually QS9000 certified from ASQ at the behst of FORD as I worked for a major ford parts supplier, so risk management and mitigation is part of what I do... according to the TSB they have techs remove the vent and thread sealing it, so that tells me this is an issue with fitament of the vent. If the fitamet isn't right, what are the chances of this vent piece of coming loose and the axle losing enough fluid to cause an issue larger than the leak/venting itself.

Not everything is as cut and dry as people would like so when you hear about an issue, find the issue on a product,, see the CAPA (Corrective Preventative Action), which in this case is the TSB, and the TSB has you remove the vent fitting to thread seal it you have to start looking beyond the obvious and looking into what is the real problem... to me thread sealing tells me tolerances are off with the hole and vent plug.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

Ambient temp this morning was in the mid 60's and the temp on the diff cover and bottom of the housing was 139F for both. That's a 20 minute drive with about 5 minutes of 70mph towards the end.

coming home I beat on it after every turn and did my mandatory fishtail in second gear down my dirt road. Ambient temps were in the mid 80's and the diff cover (frpp aluminum) was 150F and the bottom of the housing was 160F. The increase in temp could very well be from a higher ambient temp.

In conclusion, my rear end isn't as hot as I thought, lol! I'll put the redline in on Thursday and we will see what's what. I'll see just how reusable that lube-locker gasket really is. My drain plug has been seized in that aluminum cover since day one, so I'm going to have to pull the cover off.

I also have royal purple 75w140 in there, but it's been in there for 30,000+ miles.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict

Last edited by moosestang; 04-29-2013 at 02:57 PM.
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek View Post
I am not saying it happened with Mustangs or this issue, but if the vents are spewing like mine and someone is not diligent in checking under their car what if this problem did cause it?

I would hate to find out the vent is defective to the point it comes loose from the axle and the creates an opening enough to spew all the fuild out and the rear locks up.

I don't know what you do for a living but I do QA, actually QS9000 certified from ASQ at the behst of FORD as I worked for a major ford parts supplier, so risk management and mitigation is part of what I do... according to the TSB they have techs remove the vent and thread sealing it, so that tells me this is an issue with fitament of the vent. If the fitamet isn't right, what are the chances of this vent piece of coming loose and the axle losing enough fluid to cause an issue larger than the leak/venting itself.

Not everything is as cut and dry as people would like so when you hear about an issue, find the issue on a product,, see the CAPA (Corrective Preventative Action), which in this case is the TSB, and the TSB has you remove the vent fitting to thread seal it you have to start looking beyond the obvious and looking into what is the real problem... to me thread sealing tells me tolerances are off with the hole and vent plug.
Nope, you didn't say the Mustang was the one that had the issues. I simply did the research you should've done before you posted. You mentioned Ranger and you mentioned differential lock ups. I simply made the connection for you with the correct information

'What if' is a long, long road to travel down.

Risk management also involves statistics. What is the probability that something like is being stated as a 'What if' could occur?

Yep, TSB is a preventative measure. To go further and say "what if the valve leaks so much fluid it would cause the diff to lock up and possibly cause an accident" was most likely already explored and deemed not high enough (statistically and based on past experience) to require further action like a recall. The next step.

If you feel that strongly then log a complaint with the NHTSA and have them investigate it so they can issue a Recall if it's deemened necessary after exploring the unlikely probability.

I presume the vent fitting doesn't use a compression fitting which is why the thread sealant is required. Two different metal types screwed together that are exposed to temperature extremes (freezing/heat from exhaust). Different metals expand at different rates so the thread sealant would be used to fill the gap(s) in the threads as things heat up and cool down at different rates. The alternative would be an O-ring style seat as is seen with power sterring systems. Nothing wrong with either of those types of preventative fixes.

At Ford when they designed the vent, someone probably ran tests without the sealant under controlled conditions and didn't think real world use needed it. This is most often the underlying reason For TSB's being released and subsequent mfg practices changing. Someone doesn't do their due diligence on the front end or doesn't account for a common scenario in the real world.

In the lab they got minimal or acceptable levels of leakage. After they started selling they saw an 'oops' and realeased the TSB. If you look at stangs built after the TSB they probably already have the TSB from the factory.

I think we're close to being on the same page. Just some minor disagreement in view point is all.

In your case, it does look excessive. Did the car do that before you changed to rear gear and refilled it?
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member
 
Gary Ugarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2014 - F150 Tremor, 14 Explorer LTD, 02 Gt Vert
Location: PA
Posts: 1,073
DjfunkmasterG @GaryUgarek
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
Nope, you didn't say the Mustang was the one that had the issues. I simply did the research you should've done before you posted. You mentioned Ranger and you mentioned differential lock ups. I simply made the connection for you with the correct information

'What if' is a long, long road to travel down.

Risk management also involves statistics. What is the probability that something like is being stated as a 'What if' could occur?

Yep, TSB is a preventative measure. To go further and say "what if the valve leaks so much fluid it would cause the diff to lock up and possibly cause an accident" was most likely already explored and deemed not high enough (statistically and based on past experience) to require further action like a recall. The next step.

If you feel that strongly then log a complaint with the NHTSA and have them investigate it so they can issue a Recall if it's deemened necessary after exploring the unlikely probability.

I presume the vent fitting doesn't use a compression fitting which is why the thread sealant is required. Two different metal types screwed together that are exposed to temperature extremes (freezing/heat from exhaust). Different metals expand at different rates so the thread sealant would be used to fill the gap(s) in the threads as things heat up and cool down at different rates. The alternative would be an O-ring style seat as is seen with power sterring systems. Nothing wrong with either of those types of preventative fixes.

At Ford when they designed the vent, someone probably ran tests without the sealant under controlled conditions and didn't think real world use needed it. This is most often the underlying reason For TSB's being released and subsequent mfg practices changing. Someone doesn't do their due diligence on the front end or doesn't account for a common scenario in the real world.

In the lab they got minimal or acceptable levels of leakage. After they started selling they saw an 'oops' and realeased the TSB. If you look at stangs built after the TSB they probably already have the TSB from the factory.

I think we're close to being on the same page. Just some minor disagreement in view point is all.

In your case, it does look excessive. Did the car do that before you changed to rear gear and refilled it?
I never looked or noticed. So I can't say with any certainty. But my 11 and 12's did the same thing, they poured out like crazy. Dealer called it normal (but no TSB was available then)

My 13, went from the dealer on 3/19 when I bought it, to rear gears around 4/4/13 so you can imagine the quickness in which I did the switch out. ( 2 weeks) but again I never looked. Only reason I have been under it more now is my diff cover leaked after the gear change. We finally got the leak to stop but in doing my diligence I have been checking regulary to make sure I had no more cover leaks, Sunday while doing another taks, is when I noticed the axle splatter in my pictures. (the cover leak was finally eradicated last weekend 4/20/13, after multiple things such as sealer and other items... so it really became for me check it make sure it has completely stopped.

I admit if a car is running fine. I don't crawl under it. I wait til I do an oil change or have it on a lift for exhaust work to take a look around. But I don't make it a weekly habit, the diff cover leak has made me crawl under it more frequently, but I was going under this time to adjust my exhaust as I heard it rattling against the frame (these Pypes bombs are getting tossed)

Hence I found the drip/leak from the vent tube.
__________________
2002 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ford Racing Lower Springs
KYB Excel Struts and Shocks
18" Bullit Staggered

other Vehicles:
2014 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 3.5 NA
2014 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost - Retired
2014 F-150 Tremor 3.5L Ecoboost 4WD 1 of 202

Quote:
Yippie Ki-Yay Mustang Lovers
Gary Ugarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member
 
PNYXPRESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle: early 2000, 1991, 2008
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 2,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek View Post
. But my 11 and 12's did the same thing, they poured out like crazy. Dealer called it normal (but no TSB was available then)
How is that possible? My 08 had the leak and a TSB was out about the fix, hence the turkey baster that is now installed.
__________________

1991 2.3L I4
1996 3.8L V6
2000 3.8L V6
2008 4.6L V8
PNYXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

I changed out my fluid today after 5+ years and almost 40,000 miles. I got the stupid drain plug out of the frpp cover. I just ground down my 1/4 inch hex socket that I broke and it came right out.

I've had royal purple 75w140 in it for all those miles and that stuff still looked new. Here's the factory fill plug.

Click the image to open in full size.


I put in what was left of my 3rd bottle of royal purple, about 1/2 a quart and filled the rest with redline heavy shockproof gear oil. The weather sucks right now, so i'll report tomorrow on any reduction in gear whine and whether or not I see any fluid expelled from the vent tube.
__________________
Boost or Buell, decisions, decisions.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
leaking, rear axle fluid, tsb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup