Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tube Header Questions - Emissions? Exhaust Matching? (New)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
James Palanza

Default Long Tube Header Questions - Emissions? Exhaust Matching? (New)

So I'm wanting to put some L/T's on my 06 gt. I bought it used and I think it has ford racing stinger exhaust on it at the moment.

My question is, which L/T headers allow you to pass an emission test, and how do I determine if they will fit my current exhaust? I was looking at hookers until I started wondering about emissions.

Thanks,

James
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Your FRPP Stingers are just axle-back, meaning they just replaced the mufflers. The rest of the exhaust is still stock more than likely. If you go LT, you'll need a matching X/H pipe. Depending on your state, the LT may or may not pass emissions check, but you'll certainly have to have cats on your X/H pipe. A tune will be required as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
James Palanza

Originally Posted by hootie_john
Your FRPP Stingers are just axle-back, meaning they just replaced the mufflers. The rest of the exhaust is still stock more than likely. If you go LT, you'll need a matching X/H pipe. Depending on your state, the LT may or may not pass emissions check, but you'll certainly have to have cats on your X/H pipe. A tune will be required as well.
I went and took some pictures of the underneath. So if I add an X or H pipe with Cats then I will pass emissions with the LT? Or your not able to pass either way?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

If your from California you can't pass at all, I got shorty headers and Slp loudmouths exhaust and I barely passed the visaul they take a flashlight and look to make sure you have the stock cats but my car is so low they used a clipboard with a mirror on it to check. I think long tubes are illegal even with cats on them here in Cali.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I'd say most longtubes would be hard pressed to pass an emissions test because the cats are so far from the engine. It depends on where you live. In some places they would also fail the visual inspection.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
James Palanza

Originally Posted by ghunt
I'd say most longtubes would be hard pressed to pass an emissions test because the cats are so far from the engine. It depends on where you live. In some places they would also fail the visual inspection.
If this is true, why on earth in all of the shorty vs long tube discussions, videos etc everywhere on the internet does no one state the obvious difference that the long tubes are friggen illegal!??! This blows my mind lol
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I thought people talked about that all the time? Far as I know all longtubes say they are illegal for use on emissions-controlled vehicles. Most discussions at least mention that longtubes won't pass emissions.

Also shorty headers really exist solely because of the introduction of cats on cars.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
James Palanza

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by James Palanza
If this is true, why on earth in all of the shorty vs long tube discussions, videos etc everywhere on the internet does no one state the obvious difference that the long tubes are friggen illegal!??! This blows my mind lol
You have a stock H pipe, if that helps any.

There are states out there that the democrats haven't F'd up yet, so we don't have emissions test and visual inspections! Yeah, I went there.

California can fall the Fk off the face of the earth and most of the celebs with it.

Last edited by moosestang; 05-22-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by James Palanza
Read the disclaimers on the parts. It's in there.

Originally Posted by moosestang
There are states out there that the democrats haven't F'd up yet, so we don't have emissions test and visual inspections! Yeah, I went there.

California and fall the Fk off the face of the earth and most of the celebs with it.
I agree.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Header Questions - Emissions? Exhaust Matching? (New)