Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need advice on purchasing used 2005-2009 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
good info, thanks. keep it coming! I have a motorcycle I should be selling this week and my Jeep before the end of the month then it's time to shop for GTs! I'm thinking auto almost just because there are so many more available around my area, so I would have a better selection
It took me 6 months to find my car. Most were auto.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

unfortunately my jeep is my dd, so i gotta pick up a stang pretty quick after i sell it, but im going to test drive them as soon as my motorcycle sells
Old 06-04-2013, 03:36 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

There are plenty of good companies that sell aftermarket parts for these cars. Brenspeed and American muscle are two that first come to mind. The best thing about these mustangs (all mustangs) is they are so customize able in performance and appearance. If you buy an 05 or 06 don't be afraid of the water leak issue but def check to make sure no obvious damage on the passenger floor board. It seems everyone here is really making a big deal of it. It's just a matter of lifting up the plastic cover behind the hood where the windshield wipers are and sticking your finger thru a hole that is jammed with debris like leaves and such! How ever that being said.... Check for the obvious signs cause they may have led to electrical grimlins that can cause wacky trouble. Anyways, miles don't matter on the 4.6 as long as it has been properly maintained. I know many gt drivers with 150k plus miles and still going strong. And I might add after a few engine performance mods you might consider lowering just a bit.. I think these mustangs loon like monster truck cars at stock height! ( my opinion of course) enough rambling by me, I hope you get and enjoy a mustang!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
If you buy an 05 or 06 don't be afraid of the water leak issue but def check to make sure no obvious damage on the passenger floor board. It seems everyone here is really making a big deal of it. It's just a matter of lifting up the plastic cover behind the hood where the windshield wipers are and sticking your finger thru a hole that is jammed with debris like leaves and such!
Actually there are four possible water leak areas per my knowledge and TSBs. The one you mention is common and easy to fix. The others deal with how the windshield and body were sealed. They cause a lot more problems than the water backing through the HVAC and take a lot more work/time to correct.

Had the three harder to deal with leaks but fixed them myself its not a huge deal if there isn't any damage yet but I would just avoid the 2005-06 models because the 2007-2009's have good revisions (like better heads/spark plug threading).

Last edited by JCON; 06-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:34 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

did the plugs change in 07 or 08?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

did the plugs change in 07 or 08?
I believe it was a mid-year revision so if it has black coil on plugs it's the original and if the COPs are brown it's the revised head.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Mid Year 07 they changed. also thanks for the info JCON, ive always just heard of the passenger floor board water coming through the cabin filter
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Well sold my motorcycle today, I have $4k for a downpayment, time to start hunting!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Good luck brother..........take your time and buy the right one not the first one.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Default 05 Pony

yeah even the prices one state up in idaho drop significantly. if you think thats bad subarus go for even higher around here haha
I have an 05 V6 I'm going to sell. It's absolutely stock, with 75k miles. New radiator, K&N air filter, new drive belt, and meticulously maintained. Not quite what you're looking for, but if interested, or know anyone interested, hit me up.

I'm asking $10k.

Quick Reply: Need advice on purchasing used 2005-2009 GT