MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   How long do GT S197's last? (http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/697044-how-long-do-gt-s197s-last.html)

MrBR 06-20-2013 04:15 AM

How long do GT S197's last?
 
I picked up a Red with Red Leather Interior 2005 GT Premium with 20,200 or so miles.
How many miles does this generation last? Should it have a long life ahead of it relatively drama-free?

Soldier GT 06-20-2013 08:13 AM

No one can ever say how long a car will last....You have a mustang that's 8 yrs old, so don't worry about it and enjoy! You could probably ensure it's longevity by performing the required maint though. Congrats

MrBR 06-20-2013 12:03 PM

Of course! I've rarely had a car where I just had to do maintenance. Normally I have to pour a ton of money into non-maintenance parts like alternators or brake boosters of gas tanks so this should be an interesting case.

hootie_john 06-20-2013 12:52 PM

There are some items on the early S197 - ball joints come to mind - that wear prematurely, but outside of that, very few issues. You should expect a long life from your new ride. 150-200K isn't uncommon.

MrBR 06-20-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hootie_john (Post 8234810)
There are some items on the early S197 - ball joints come to mind - that wear prematurely, but outside of that, very few issues. You should expect a long life from your new ride. 150-200K isn't uncommon.

Luckily for me I bought it at a ford dealership and got a premium warranty that covers "500+ items" so if non maintenance items go it'll be replaced on the house. This comes from my past experience with cars giving me migraines.
You know, for what it is, it rides really well, and it takes corners like it's on rails compared to my last car (a 1964 impala, or the Lincoln town car I drive frequently)

DocSnickers 06-20-2013 01:35 PM

Well anythings going to feel like it drives on rails compared to a 64 Impala haha.

MrBR 06-20-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocSnickers (Post 8234840)
Well anythings going to feel like it drives on rails compared to a 64 Impala haha.

There was a guy going into my lane from the other direction and I quickly moved my steering wheel and it was so fast, so abrupt yet it kept it's composure, no tire squealing or lean at all, it's like being on a different planet, I'm sorry I'm just not used to good handling lol

Rudolph Hucker 06-20-2013 01:55 PM

drive a 911 then...

MrBR 06-20-2013 03:39 PM

Nothing beats driving a Mustang GT 5 mph below the speed limit in the slow lane, that's the kind of driver I am.

Lem-06 06-20-2013 03:56 PM

ha going from the 64 impala to this is a massive handling change.
just keep up to date on fluids and you should be fine for 150k+, until you have to add more power ;)

beware the alternators on our stangs like to really play mind games with you, cam sensor codes etc

MrBR 06-20-2013 04:49 PM

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...re/null-27.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...re/null-26.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...re/null-23.jpg
Here she is, ain't she a beauty? I didn't put on the fake hood pins or the GT300 decal so I'm not a ricer, I promise.

Nuke 06-20-2013 05:06 PM

No more can a doctor tell you how long you'll live can anyone predict how long a car will last. Unlike my 5 previous and my current Toyota's, I'm sure the S197 will need some minor maintenance beyond your normal fluids, brakes and tires over it's course but quite a few folks have over 150k miles. I know that all of my pre-80's cars were on deaths doorstep by 100k miles but the domestics HAD to do something to compete with the reliability and longevity of the imports and fare better beyond 100k compared to years ago.

moosestang 06-20-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBR (Post 8234851)
There was a guy going into my lane from the other direction and I quickly moved my steering wheel and it was so fast, so abrupt yet it kept it's composure, no tire squealing or lean at all, it's like being on a different planet, I'm sorry I'm just not used to good handling lol

Post a pic of your car. I have a feeling it doesn't have the stock suspension any longer.

MrBR 06-20-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosestang (Post 8235047)
Post a pic of your car. I have a feeling it doesn't have the stock suspension any longer.

From what I gather(the trim package level, basically fully loaded minus the shaker 1000-had the shaker 500) and from the area it was registered in I'm going to assume the guy had money so... Maybe... It Doesn't even have a CAI though, you'd think if he went for performance he'd slap that on though.

Nuke 06-20-2013 07:37 PM

If the guy had money he wouldn't have installed fake hood pins and the GT300 decal.

moosestang 06-20-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBR (Post 8235068)
From what I gather(the trim package level, basically fully loaded minus the shaker 1000-had the shaker 500) and from the area it was registered in I'm going to assume the guy had money so... Maybe... It Doesn't even have a CAI though, you'd think if he went for performance he'd slap that on though.

Ah, didn't realize there was a pic on page 2. That does look like stock springs, but could have aftermarket shocks/struts. My car had lots of body roll compared to after lowering, changing shocks and pretty much all the suspension parts.

MrBR 06-20-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosestang (Post 8235119)
Ah, didn't realize there was a pic on page 2. That does look like stock springs, but could have aftermarket shocks/struts. My car had lots of body roll compared to after lowering, changing shocks and pretty much all the suspension parts.

Maybe, since I'm used to driving 50 year old cars and cars based off 35 year old cars (CVPIs and Lincoln Town Cars) that in comparison the car feels like it remains flat in comparison.

drewsky 06-21-2013 03:27 AM

Love the spoiler delete! Wish mine didn't have one haha

joeroy 06-21-2013 05:53 AM

that car is sweet, good luck with it

ffk_pennywise 06-21-2013 10:38 AM

I'm at 140k miles, and haven't done anything besides regular fluid changes and 1 set of brake pads. I did do a precautionary plug change last year. Car is not stock and I beat on it occasionally. I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding longevity.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.