Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 GT Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Default 2013 GT Ticking

Hey guys, I know there are lots of threads out there on this 5.0 ticking sound and I hate to pile on, but I don't really know what to do.

I switched to royal purple 5w-20 at maybe 15-16k miles, and not long after I started to hear the tick. At first it happened when the car was cold, and even then not all the time. But as the weeks went on it just started ticking all the time, warm or cold. The ticking matches the rpms as they increase, and its fuggin loud, man. I hear it with the windows down when I'm near a car, tree, curb, or even right off the road if I'm parked or moving slow. Windows up, I hear nothing.

Just before the oil change I had my bassani catback installed, so I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak. Took it to the dealer once and they said they couldn't hear anything. A few weeks later the tick was loud and consistent and when I took it to them again, they told me the sound is normal, that its the injectors. They said that because I have a boss manifold, jlt Cai and bbk throttle body, the sound is made louder.

I don't know if this is right or not, but there just has to be a way to stop or at least quiet this tick. It doesn't sound normal, I mean I get that the coyotes are loud, I get that they tick, but does all this really sound typical?

any thoughts on what I should do? I would be willing to try the additive if i knew which one it was and where to get it. If I have to replace or repair something, ok. But the dealer says there is nothing that can be done, that its harmless, and that its normal.

JAYSUS!!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Code Vision
Hey guys, I know there are lots of threads out there on this 5.0 ticking sound and I hate to pile on, but I don't really know what to do.

I switched to royal purple 5w-20 at maybe 15-16k miles, and not long after I started to hear the tick. At first it happened when the car was cold, and even then not all the time. But as the weeks went on it just started ticking all the time, warm or cold. The ticking matches the rpms as they increase, and its fuggin loud, man. I hear it with the windows down when I'm near a car, tree, curb, or even right off the road if I'm parked or moving slow. Windows up, I hear nothing.

Just before the oil change I had my bassani catback installed, so I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak. Took it to the dealer once and they said they couldn't hear anything. A few weeks later the tick was loud and consistent and when I took it to them again, they told me the sound is normal, that its the injectors. They said that because I have a boss manifold, jlt Cai and bbk throttle body, the sound is made louder.
Hello Code Vision,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You can always get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealer. I recommend you make another appointment and let me escalate this to the customer service manager for your area. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

I also have an appointment this Tuesday coming up so they can check out my car. I took it in and they said "it might be normal" but we will check it out, that isn't normal! My car didn't do this off the lot and if they tell me that on Tuesday I'm going to tell them ok lets go start up some cars that you have on the lot and see if they sound as "normal" as mine. Mine also started on its first oil change which was this past Saturday at 2335 miles with 5w 20 mobile 1. It's not loud but I can definitely hear it and that wasn't there before!

I had no idea that these cars were having these problems but a little search on google and there are tons and tons of these threads relating to ticks after an oil change and how people have to argue with ford in order for them to do anything, If I would have saw all of those threads before I would have never bought this car.

Last edited by TRMach1; 07-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by TRMach1
I also have an appointment this Tuesday coming up so they can check out my car. I took it in and they said "it might be normal" but we will check it out, that isn't normal! My car didn't do this off the lot and if they tell me that on Tuesday I'm going to tell them ok lets go start up some cars that you have on the lot and see if they sound as "normal" as mine. Mine also started on its first oil change which was this past Saturday at 2335 miles with 5w 20 mobile 1. It's not loud but I can definitely hear it and that wasn't there before!

I had no idea that these cars were having these problems but a little search on google and there are tons and tons of these threads relating to ticks after an oil change and how people have to argue with ford in order for them to do anything, If I would have saw all of those threads before I would have never bought this car.
I’d like to escalate this for you as well, TRMach1. Please PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I don't know if this is right or not, but there just has to be a way to stop or at least quiet this tick. It doesn't sound normal, I mean I get that the coyotes are loud, I get that they tick, but does all this really sound typical?

any thoughts on what I should do? I would be willing to try the additive if i knew which one it was and where to get it. If I have to replace or repair something, ok. But the dealer says there is nothing that can be done, that its harmless, and that its normal.

JAYSUS!!
The very first thing you need to do before you start the engine is to make sure you pull the dipstick and make sure enough oil is in.
One of the biggest mistakes I see people making is forgetting that the 5.0L TiVCT requires 8 quarts, not 6 quarts of the outgoing 4.6L engines.

This might sound counter-intuitive, and I don't claim to be correct on this, so if I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.
When changing your own oil in the Coyote engines, try not to drip out every last drip of oil out of the engine. Some oil will remain trapped in the heads, the calve lash adjusters, the camshafts, etc. Try not to drain your oil to where the oil trapped in the heads are also extracted. That trapped oil is needed to protect the valve train for the next crucial cold start. If no oil are in these parts, the ticking from the valve train is inevitable. This old oil that is trapped in here will be flushed out upon the next start-up.

When you put in new oil, more than likely you will not put all 8 quarts in. You might put in 7 quarts. This is why you should check the dipstick as you pour in the new oil. Put in 6 quarts, then check, then put more in, then check again.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The very first thing you need to do before you start the engine is to make sure you pull the dipstick and make sure enough oil is in.
One of the biggest mistakes I see people making is forgetting that the 5.0L TiVCT requires 8 quarts, not 6 quarts of the outgoing 4.6L engines.

This might sound counter-intuitive, and I don't claim to be correct on this, so if I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.
When changing your own oil in the Coyote engines, try not to drip out every last drip of oil out of the engine. Some oil will remain trapped in the heads, the calve lash adjusters, the camshafts, etc. Try not to drain your oil to where the oil trapped in the heads are also extracted. That trapped oil is needed to protect the valve train for the next crucial cold start. If no oil are in these parts, the ticking from the valve train is inevitable. This old oil that is trapped in here will be flushed out upon the next start-up.

When you put in new oil, more than likely you will not put all 8 quarts in. You might put in 7 quarts. This is why you should check the dipstick as you pour in the new oil. Put in 6 quarts, then check, then put more in, then check again.
Thanks Jim....In this case, the dealer did the oil change, i just brought in the Royal Purple and filter. But I will check the dipstick, just the same.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Sent you a pm Deysha
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by TRMach1
Sent you a pm Deysha
Thanks, TRMach1! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

Unless your ripping apart the engine its not possible to do this. The oil is going to drip down as far as it can go, some of it clinging to parts of the engine or resting in small valleys , the rest residing in your oil pan. When you change the oil, all you are doing is draining the oil pan and oil filter dry(ish). It is not a bad idea to fill your oil filter before screwing it on though, it will help get oil to the engine parts sooner after an oil change, but it is not standard practice.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

JAYSUS!!
Even if they find a problem they will give you a nice price quote for the repair. Once you install a CAI/Tune and anything else like that, it voids the engine warranty. I know a few people who screwed themselves for 3 to 5 tenths in the quater mile but, then again I know of / there are plenty of folks that have no issues with mods. I say if someone is gonna void the warranty then go big....forced induction and other goodies that knock at least a couple of seconds of the 1/4 mile time or it's not worth the potential future costly problems...unless $$ is not a concern!

Quick Reply: 2013 GT Ticking