Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Buying a used 05-09 S197

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Sure 5 plugs broke during the change but that is something I can personally deal with.
I'm also going to be moving on a S197 in the near future hopefully. I'm sure I can look it up but what is the issue with the plugs again, and if they break what did you do to finally remove them?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:41 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with buying used, I did. Just take your time and you will find a great car. Everybody has already listed the obvious items to look for, so get out the PC and start that search.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Phil in OKC

This was an informative thread for me. I'm currently looking for an S197 GT and have been looking at a very clean '06. I thought it was the one until I read this thread. ouch!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by V8Thrasher
Hey guys whats up? I used to be a ... etc ...
Last december I was driving home from work, and it was raining pretty bad,
... etc ... single car accident that I have and am considered at fault to due to no one else being involved. .
You likely were considered at fault in that crash because you were driving too fast for conditions. Wide tires, higher speeds, lighter cars, more water, worn tires, worn pavement, .... all coditions that will increase the likelihood of hydroplaning.

As to insurance, you do know now that you can keep comp / collision on even after the car is paid off.

Originally Posted by V8Thrasher
Buying someones used Mustang makes me weary....but its cheaper than the dealership. So what should I look for in a used S197? What problems should I look for/be aware of in a vehicle that someone didnt maintain properly? Any redflags? This is going to be my car until 2016-17. Id like to get one in the 50-70k mile range, and pay no more than 16k.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks.
Banged up or bent floor pans and frame members are bad, signs of excessive leakage under the car, bent suspension parts, banged up rim edges, badly scuffed tire sidewalls, blue scotchlock wire connectors or "twist wrap splices" and such haphazard modifications, ill fitting or loose interior parts, strange odors .... these are some things that I look for .... and run away from.

I'm 59, my wife is "younger" .... and we never look for new vehicles, we look for golden opportunities in used, even if only slightly used. Mods that don't make sense or that are poorly executed or that don't suit my taste are best not done. I know what I like and when I see it, I listen to what the seller is telling me, both for what they say .... and what they don't say.

In June (2013) we bought our 2008 DCAR GT 5 spd which had a couple simple AM parts (grille, TL trim, etc) that while maybe weren't something I would have chosen .... it showed me someone cared for the appearance. Paint was taken care of, odometer showed 21,899 miles, tires were about half worn Perelli with a date code of 3107 on all 4, and all were worn equally indicating rotations done and likely few burnouts. The interior was absolutely unmarked, no dings, tears, stains, or loose parts. Car still had OEM airfilter, but new oil filter and oil. No leaks underneath, brakes look about 80% left. Still had cover in power outlet. Stock GT exhaust. The Chrome AR wheels have never had a wheel weight or other mark on the lips (weights are stick on just inside). I did look at CarFax on it, car originated Kansas and looks like owner moved here.

I got it for pretty close to what you are looking at, straight sale.

Don't just "settle" for something, look around and always be willing to walk away.

And think about keeping the insurance on it after paid off if it's loss will cause you a serious setback.

Same time as we bought the '08, some long time friends were casually looking at a Ford dealer about an hour north, same week anyway .... and mentioned to the salesman that he and his wife were just looking out for a nice used Mustang Convertible ..... salesman took them into shop where they had a trade in that had just been traded in that morning, it was 2001 dark blue Mustang GT Convertible with white leather interior and top and 4131 actual miles, aftermarket exhaust and CAI and 18" Chrome American wheels with 245/50-16 rubber, automatic, and not a mark on it. An older couple (older than both he and I, we are in late '50s) had bought the car new and used it just to participate in Cruise Ins that are so popular around here, to be around other cars and friends, and they kept it garaged and spotless except when at a Cruise In. He got it cheaper than 16K ....

Wife and I have been into GoldWing MCs for last near 20 years but we are starting to go to more Cruise Ins ourselves so when my buddy and his wife finally surprised us with their news, we surprised them with ours.

Name:  DSC_03492001MustangGTConv4100miles2800x527_zpsf3e25052.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  350.5 KB

Yeah, I'ld own it .... and likely lower it a hair.

Last edited by tbear853; 10-12-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

^ 4x4!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
tcmustang06

Got 06 GT black on black ,1000 shaker,manual,18 polished bullit wheels,51,000,well kept. 17,000 cash