Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need to have an alignment after a 1.5 inch drop? (reccomendations on drop?) Also TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 AM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Default Need to have an alignment after a 1.5 inch drop? (reccomendations on drop?) Also TPMS

I am going to be buying new wheels soon (SVE drifts in 19x9.5, wrapped in 275/40/19 Sumitomo's on all four corners) and was wondering the necessity of an alignment if I will only be dropping the car 1.5-2 inches? The tires I will be running are .5 inches taller than the stock Pirelli's, which I figured will help with the ride quality (over a 275/35) as well as filling the wheel well.

What drop is the best as far as ride quality, if there is really even much of a difference?

Lastly- I want to use the TPMS sensors from my stock 2012 GT wheels- 2011+ are self-learning, correct? Do I need any parts to swap from the old wheels to the new wheels (rebuild kit/seals or whatever)? Do I need the learning tool?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Yes! You will need an alignment... The lower you go, the more negative your camber angle becomes. Your other alignment values will be off as well such as caster, and toe in/out.

I would recommend adding some good shocks into the mix if you lower the car. The OEMs will not last long. This will help your ride quality.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
Yes! You will need an alignment... The lower you go, the more negative your camber angle becomes. Your other alignment values will be off as well such as caster, and toe in/out.

I would recommend adding some good shocks into the mix if you lower the car. The OEMs will not last long. This will help your ride quality.
and the rear axle will be offset due to the Panhard rod.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:53 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

The panhard simply keeps the axle in line left/right correct? How far is it typically off center after being lowered? (are we talking a MM or two or half an inch?) Is this a necessity to do?

Does anyone know if you can get the camber back in spec without having to buy camber bolts- or should I just buy them assuming they will be needed?

Any recommendations on shocks? I am doing this all on a fairly tight budget so I am not looking to buy coil overs or anything crazy
Old 06-20-2014, 05:45 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

You need eccentric bolts ( hope I spelled that right) or caster camber plates.. I needed the bolts for my 1" front drop. 1.5 I would do both.. I know your trying to save a little money but tires will cost more than the needed parts!! Think about it that way

Also I'm using the Koni strt's and love them. Affordable too.. Call Sam Strano and hell lead you in the right direction

Last edited by drewsky; 06-20-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:53 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

You can get the camber back in place with GT500 strut mounts and install them with the arrows pointing in. You will need a strut for 05-10 though.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You will need shocks/struts, adjustable panhard bar, camber bolts.

Your rear axle will shift 1/2" at least. It's pretty easy to get it centered yourself.

Camber bolts are cheap and the tech doing the install can put them in for you.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

At a bare minimum I'd zero out the toe angle. A panhard bar is a good move as well.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by r00st
The panhard simply keeps the axle in line left/right correct? How far is it typically off center after being lowered? (are we talking a MM or two or half an inch?) Is this a necessity to do?

Does anyone know if you can get the camber back in spec without having to buy camber bolts- or should I just buy them assuming they will be needed?

Any recommendations on shocks? I am doing this all on a fairly tight budget so I am not looking to buy coil overs or anything crazy
it will be way off..maybe 15mm off...bringing the axle inline will improve the handling plus the hard plastic bushes in the adj panhard will improve it aswell..
imho 100% u need an adj panhard
Old 06-21-2014, 12:02 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Wait a minute...you're going to run taller tires AND drop the suspension by 1.5"?
That's going to be some close clearances and you might get some tire rub!

With any lowering, an alignment is needed to get camber into spec and bring in the toe a little.

Quick Reply: Need to have an alignment after a 1.5 inch drop? (reccomendations on drop?) Also TPMS