Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The long swap - Auto to manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 AM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default The long swap - Auto to manual trans

So, I've got an auto GT. 5R55S. Original died a while back and I bought a remanned unit with a 3 year warranty. I plan on getting my money out of this so I've got tiiiiiiiime on my side. This car is going to be high mileage and I don't plan on trading it in when I'm ready for a new one. So, I'm thinking if I can get a proper parts list, I'll take my time and snap up what I need over time. I've literally got a year or two at least to assemble the parts.

What I need help with is the parts list.

First, the transmission. - 5spd 6 spd? I'm thinking 6 spd, probably the magnum xl or the 6060. Obviously I've got plenty of new options but if I could find a parts car or one that was pulled early in life...I'd jump on it. I can buy the peripherals for the manual at the same time probably, or certainly new from tremec or whatever. Clutch, crossmember, bell housing etc...

I know I'll need a new pedal box and wiring harness to make cruise control work. What about other wiring?

Driveshaft, shorter? Longer? I've got a one piece from Shaftmasters now. If its shorter I would imagine I can have a shop cut and balance it.

Control modules. I've read it both ways - that I can program the old one to manual or I have to buy new. Does anybody know?

Master cylinder - read one thread where the guy cut some nipple off and clamped a hose to it. Said it was the same cylinder. Either way, I can buy one for a manual.

Anybody that's done it or researched it: I appreciate any knowledge. I'll be checking with Brenspeed and my local mechanic for more knowledge but I figure I'd put out the call.

This is just an idea I'm toying with. I'd like to know more so I can assess the job before me. Obviously tools, lift, time, labor go without saying. I'm not afraid to wrench and I've got friends.

Last edited by JFitz; 10-26-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: There's clarity in them hills!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Driveshaft will fit. Several threads on this swap at s197forum. Why did your first auto trans fail? Was the fluid low? Do you flog the car hard on the street? This trans does not like two gear kick downs.

My car only has 32k miles but has over 400 passes at the drags and the auto trans feels as good as new. I run a deep pan and trans catch can. I monitor the trans temp with an aeroforce gauge and my temp rarely ever hits 180'. In traffic in hot Maui air it runs at 172'.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I believe it was a thermal switch of some sort. Prevented line pressure from building properly and would make it slip when cold and 5th gear would not engage until it warmed up. The brass shavings throughout the unit and the cost of replacing the converter and just that switch were close enough to full unit replacement with warranty that I just replaced it.

I do drive it hard but I'm aware of the unit disliking hard upshifts. The unit I have in now is remanned and was never perfect from the get go. But since I have warranty I'm not worried about that. I figure I got the time to keep the car rolling until I'm using something else as my daily.

I've always believed the manual to be the better choice for a "fun" car. This car will be strictly that within 3 years or so.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:31 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The driveshaft for the T56 Magnum XL is shorter.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Well then I should be able to have a shop cut the one I have shorter. The gentleman I talked to earlier at Brenspeed said I would have to replace the control unit for a manual one.

The search continues.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Search ( google) Anthony05GT

He has a detailed write up on parts, how to, etc.

He swapped his 05 from auto to manual years ago.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Better yet, search Anthony05GT auto to manual swap. Also, mentioned in his writeup is a guy called Temogen that did a swap on an 06 v6, good stuff there too to cross reference.

The above writeups pertain to. 05-06's, 07s up there might be an issue or two mentioned in the article.
I've wanted to do this swap, too, maybe Ill wait 'til my auto croaks!

Good luck
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Appreciate the tip.

In other news, I'm replacing the transmission again. Thank God for warranty.

A bearing in the converter is whining and slipping. She goes to the shop tomorrow for warranty assesment and replacement.

This is why I wonder about doing the swap - when this warranty runs out, the car will inevitaly be useless and will feel pretty funny about putting ANOTHER 3K into a transmission.