Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 PM
SkizZy

Default 5th Gear

Hey guys i recently bought a 2005 GT and was wondering about 5th gear is this gear used for racing? also at which speeds do you guys recommend switching each gears.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:11 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

What kind of racing? What else has been done to the car? we need more information to accurately answer your question.

But... generally speaking 5th gear (of 5) will be used if you need it. Drag racing is not likely going to use it unless you have a really high ratio, like 4.56 or greater IMO.
For autocross you won't get fast enough to use it, but for long and fast road courses you could use it... but only if you are redlining 4th gear and have a lot of straight road in front of you.
Does that help?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Old 12-01-2014, 06:17 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

5th gear is for cruising down the highway, that's about it.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkizZy
Hey guys i recently bought a 2005 GT and was wondering about 5th gear is this gear used for racing? also at which speeds do you guys recommend switching each gears.
If you still have the stock 3.55 rear axle gears and stock sized tires, the only time you're going to be using 5th gear for racing is if you need to go above 138mph (maximum speed at 6250rpm in 4th gear).
Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

^ It doesn't pull worth a damn in 5th, let me tell you... Not that it matters, fuel cut is at 145mph anyway. To be completely honest, 3rd gear is the most fun. Takes you to that 100mph mark pretty quick. 4th pulls decent, but not with the hurrah feeling of 3rd!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

5th gear pulls pretty good....

Just get a blower, you'll like 5th a whole lot better.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:41 AM
SkizZy

Thanks for the replys guys I was always told 5th was for highway cruising but from what I understand from you guys is that if I make upgrades to my engine then 5th would be more useful when racing right?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
SkizZy

Originally Posted by ticopowell
What kind of racing? What else has been done to the car? we need more information to accurately answer your question.

But... generally speaking 5th gear (of 5) will be used if you need it. Drag racing is not likely going to use it unless you have a really high ratio, like 4.56 or greater IMO.
For autocross you won't get fast enough to use it, but for long and fast road courses you could use it... but only if you are redlining 4th gear and have a lot of straight road in front of you.
Does that help?
As far as I know it has a BBK cai and the shifter has been changed it looks like a short shifter and the mufflers have been taken off not sure about the gear ratios....and yes I meant on a long road stretch also at which speeds should I switch eatch gear I know you guys say go but the rpm but unfortunately my tach does not work....so I usually switch to second around 20mph 3rd around 30mph and 4th around 40mph Haha sorry for noob questions but this is my first time having a manual car. 😎
Old 12-02-2014, 09:17 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Well before you get into racing make sure to fix your tach. I think your rev limit is close to 6250, but the engine won't let it blow itself up, so if you are daring you can go for a fun ride and see when it hits its limiter... or find a calculator and figure out what rpm's relate to each speed. you will need to know your differential gear ratio, your tire's rotations per mile, each gear ratio in the transmission, and your actual desired shifting rpm point and redline.

I know with my car 1st gear tops out at 43.81, yours could be close, but I would recommend doing the math to both A) get the most performance out of the car when you want it, and B) not break anything

Hope that helps

Quick Reply: 5th Gear