Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

05-14 convertible owners

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
bret1197

Vehicle: 2007 GT/CS VERT
Default 05-14 convertible owners

Just got an 07 gt vert and was wondering how some of you have stiffened the chassis. My doors and windows rattle when I go over bad surfaces and I want to fix this before I move on to other things.alsp does a strut tower brace really help with cowl shake. Thanks stangers...
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
bret1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
bstang14

Vehicle: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret1197 View Post
Just got an 07 gt vert and was wondering how some of you have stiffened the chassis. My doors and windows rattle when I go over bad surfaces and I want to fix this before I move on to other things.alsp does a strut tower brace really help with cowl shake. Thanks stangers...
My 14 is pretty solid with very minimal cowl shake. I just finished lowering and stiffening suspension so we'll ser how much effect that has. Front strut tower brace is standard on 14 gt vert.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

the vert is like a different car to the coupe..i had to sell mine after driving a coupe.
only thing the vert has as underneath support is those 2 skinny bars at the back lol..bit of a joke tbh
Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
jz78817
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Just got an 07 gt vert and was wondering how some of you have stiffened the chassis. My doors and windows rattle when I go over bad surfaces and I want to fix this before I move on to other things.
there's nothing to fix. Mustang is a unit-body car; the body is the structure. And the roof (along with the pillars) is a big part of that structure. losing the roof means the car must be less rigid. you can try bolting on some **** but it'll never be as rigid as the coupe.

Quote:
alsp does a strut tower brace really help with cowl shake. Thanks stangers...
nope. a strut tower brace improves handling by preventing changes in the front suspension geometry under cornering loads.
jz78817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
bret1197

Had a fox body vert and sub frame connectors made a huge difference and that vert was held together with a few metal plates and pop rivets. So I would think this vert would be much better in the rigidity department
Old 04-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, GT Conv

Quote:
Had a fox body vert and sub frame connectors made a huge difference and that vert was held together with a few metal plates and pop rivets. So I would think this vert would be much better in the rigidity department
^ this. HD sub-frame connectors is about the only thing you could do. Welded would be better than bolt on.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
jz78817
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't! I just said it's not as rigid as the coupe.
jz78817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #8
cruisin5268d
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 GT/CS Convertible & 2010 GT Premium

My convertible is quite solid for normal driving. Sure, there's a difference between it and my couple under harder conditions - but that's the way things go. Don't get a convertible if you want a race car.
cruisin5268d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Edmund K

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT convertible
Ed Iverson

Quote:
I just put a strut tower brace on my 05 Gt convertible today, and that annoying rattling of the mirrors and doors was reduced significantly, almost completely! The brace came from American Muscle; I went with the chrome version, since the engine bay is primarily all black. http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-str...0509-gtv6.html Hope this helps!
Edmund K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #10
bret1197

Thanks for the info...gonna probably get one...hopefully it will help
Old 04-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
rmhockman

Vehicle: 2013 mustang gt convertible
rmhockman rmhockman
Default Cowl shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstang14 View Post
My 14 is pretty solid with very minimal cowl shake. I just finished lowering and stiffening suspension so we'll ser how much effect that has. Front strut tower brace is standard on 14 gt vert.
I recently took delivery of a GT premium 2015 mustang convertible after a nearly 4 month wait replacing my 2013 GT Premium convertible with over 44,000 trouble free miles on the clock. It is somewhat stiffer than the 2013 which was quite good but still is not as rock solid as the coupe. In contrast, some years prior I had a 1999 GT convertible that was considerably less rigid, so much so that my wife didn't want to ride in it if it could be avoided. This newest model is so much different from others in many ways that I really can't get over it, it seems the only thing they didn't change was the galloping pony on the grill. Just my opinion folks!

Last edited by rmhockman; 04-14-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: error
rmhockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
xkape
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: POS

That crap they call support under the verts is shameful. I was afraid to take it out. Once in my hand, I felt like I was holding cheap scrap metal. Kinda like buying a cheap desk at WalMart vs a top notch one from a furniture store.

Get the BMR weld in Subframe connectors and at the very least, a panhard bar. If you want to go nuts like I did, get a Watts link. Mine is Whiteline but I believe BMR also makes one now or, is at least in the testing stages.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
bret1197

Has any of your bracing eliminated the door rattle? I'm not as interested in improving handling as much as I am in improving ride quality and solid feel.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #14
xkape
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: POS

yes, my doors do not rattle unless I nail a pothole or something. If all you are concerned about is the ratting, dyno mat makes a spray foam. you could use that to fill the space between the door cover and the door I would imagine. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper too
Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement