Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 gt gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:31 PM
yrok11

Default 05 gt gauge cluster

Hey all looking for some help. My girlfriend has an 05 gt, the only owner of the car ever. The gas gauge and temp gauge are not working but all other gauges work fine. Does the whole cluster need replaced or what's up? Has just over 50k miles and looking to sell for s truck but want everything in working order first. Any help is appreciated
Old 12-18-2016, 07:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

easiest thing is to replace the cluster as its all done via a computer and everything is all 1 piece.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:54 PM
yrok11

Originally Posted by howarmat
easiest thing is to replace the cluster as its all done via a computer and everything is all 1 piece.
That's what I was thinking and looked it up on YouTube to find it its all one piece and plug with just 4 screws. But didn't know if I missed a fuse or something else that would be a cheaper fix than the cluster itself?
Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its easy to swap i have done it. i think you need dealer to correct the mileage if you get a used cluster off ebay or something
Old 12-18-2016, 08:09 PM
yrok11

Say we bought a brand new one and installed it. The mileage would be correct to the car or 0? And if it was used it would match the car it came from? Wouldn't be a big deal to me if the mileage wasn't so low.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:19 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Mine has the same problem, same two gauges are dead. There are people on ebay where if you send them the cluster they'll repair the stepper motors (which are what run the gauges) for $60 or so. So that's an option.

I was told the mileage is tied to the cluster, so if you swap clusters it will show whatever mileage the donor car had.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 PM
yrok11

Originally Posted by ghunt
Mine has the same problem, same two gauges are dead. There are people on ebay where if you send them the cluster they'll repair the stepper motors (which are what run the gauges) for $60 or so. So that's an option.

I was told the mileage is tied to the cluster, so if you swap clusters it will show whatever mileage the donor car had.
Thank you. I did see those but just don't know how much I trust them
Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Generally speaking it is the stepper motors that go out on these gauge clusters. You can use one of those guys on ebay, or if you are OK in your soldering skills you could go for the change yourself. Or you could take your chances buying a used gauge cluster with near the same miles as the car has.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Correct.
The easiest thing would be to buy the gauge stepper motors from ebay and either replace them yourself, or find someone else who's handy with a soldering iron to do it.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:43 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

yep, get the stepper motors, all 4 or 6. if you cant/wont want to solder them in. remove the cluster and take it to a computer/cell phone repair shop, they should be able to solder them in and not charge much, about $20 or so. good luck