Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Basic Mods for your 05-09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:17 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Basic Mods for your 05/06 GT

ORIGINAL: legendlime

HMMM...
After reading all the Mods posts, I'm seriously considering keeping my '06 GT dead stock, I'm talking not even opening the airbox!!
Don't get me wrong, I love hot-rodding vehicles...I have been an auto mechanic since 1984, I ride a Kawasaki 400 triple with Denco chambers and K&N's, my Saturn tow car has as 30 more HP than stock, I even tune my lawn mower!!
Here are my reasons to keep it stock:
1. There is always someone faster than you. I would hate to get into a HP war with myself, every other modded mustang, and my wallet!
2. The car is really great without any changes!
3. I won't be a target for some disgruntled Ford service manager, bent on erasing GT warrantys, because he's sick of his technicians complaining about having to remove someone's CAI to get to a headlight bulb.
4. The best reason of all: When I suck the lights out of some import, I can truly say that my car is bone stock!!
(I reserve the right to deny any claims made above at any further date, after all, horsepower is addictive!)
CB
Very good points. Not to get away from the real topic but i've always thought that racing someone stock is the true way to do it. Anyone can mod whatever car and beat you. Just like you said, there is always someone faster than you. You might have mods but someone will have more mods. Then you think well, if i had this i could beat 'em. Well, if that car had another mod it could beat you and so on and so on. The money people will spend to shave a millisecond off their time is crazy. I guess if you've got the money then go for it!

Having said that....i've done some mods myself but for my own pleasure. Just the easy, basic ones that have already been listed. I'm never getting into serious engine mods.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
alphy

The only thing I have done so far is tint the windows. However, I have a Hurst shifter on order. I like the short throw and the white ball look on muscle cars.

The only other thing I can see doing would be CAI/Tune, new rubber/wheels when my current tires get bald and possibly a 4.10 rear. But thats really about it. There is such a thing as over modding, and I dont want to do that. I just want a sharp, clean pony.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
RocDoc
1st Gear Member

I have mostly Steeda mods:
Steeda CAI/Excalibrator2 tune
Steeda Under size pulleys
Steeda Charge Motion Plate Delete
Steeda Sport Shifter
Ford Racing Headers
Bassani X-pipe w/hi flo cats
Bassani axle back exhaust

Baseline dyno was 265 rhp.....final dyno is 302.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:20 PM
sty

Just to folow up on this...does the SCT XCalibrator 2 Tuner come with a specific tune for say the C&L CAI vs. another manufacturer. I do not want to get involved with making adjustments on my own. So, I just want to confirm that these "tunes" are pre-packaged by someone who knows alot more about the overall ECU program then me.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 PM
sty

Just as an FYI to everyone, I have installed the Hurst Competition Plus shifter on my '06 GT and I have to say I am not impressed. The shifter throw is definitely reduced, but the gear engagement is very rough. It feels as if you need to force the trans into gear instead of the easy engagement the stock shifter provided. I don't think it was worth the upgrade.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi sty,

Usually no, but if you buy the XCal-2 from a dealer who does dyno tuning and sells the CAI of your choice and the XCal2 you can usually get the canned house tune for that CAI or engine component. The off the shelf XCal2 is an empty glass, you need to fill it with a custom program either purchased over the internet or supplied by your local SCT dyno tune shop.

Diablo's marketing is the opposite, they have partnered with several, O.K., virtually ALL of different makers of engine related components that will need a custom tune. Steeda, Vortech, Paxton, C&L etc. and ALL of these products have dedicated Diablo Predator part numbers for that specific brand of power enhancing component and they ALL have a set of custom tunes for the product line on the label. For example I bought a Steeda CAI and Steeda Diablo Predator hand held tuner, it had a Steeda part number and has Streeda specific firmware and Steeda tunes for all of the Steeda products that need a custom tune. I got tunes for the Steeda 90mm MAF CAI kit with 87, 89 and 93 octane along with tunes for the Steeda CMCP and other tunes that allow you to adjust the factory program ignition and fuel calibrations. This version firmware is only good for Steeda equiped cars and is updated regularly. I recently updated my old, original Steeda CAI that shipped with an 85mm MAF housing to the latest 90mm MAF housing. To use the new larger 90mm MAF housing I had to update my Diablo tuner's firmware to the latest version. I downloaded and updated the tuner and flashed the car's ECU and it really made the car much more responsive and it was much sharper than stock with the original Steeda 85mm MAF tunes.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

ORIGINAL: sty

Just to folow up on this...does the SCT XCalibrator 2 Tuner come with a specific tune for say the C&L CAI vs. another manufacturer. I do not want to get involved with making adjustments on my own. So, I just want to confirm that these "tunes" are pre-packaged by someone who knows alot more about the overall ECU program then me.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:42 AM
gunther51

Hi sty,

I'm new to the forum and I got my 06 manual GT in February. I've only put Magnaflow axle backs on my car and that's it. I'm having a Hurst shifter instaled in the next couple of days and wondered if I'm doing the right thing after reading your comments. I've dry shifted several hurst shifters and it feels great, but have not driven any. Did you install it yourself or a shop. No insult intended, just curiuos. There's a dealership near where I work and they have a performance shop accross the street that literally does about anything to there Fords and they said it would be warranted for 36K/3yr..?? Looking forward to your reply
Old 06-09-2006, 07:59 PM
EasyGT

will a C&L AIR INTAKE WITH SCT X-CAL 2 void any warranties?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey Easy,

Only if something breaks and they can find a way to blame it on your mods.

Cheers/Chip

ORIGINAL: EasyGT

will a C&L AIR INTAKE WITH SCT X-CAL 2 void any warranties?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:00 PM
sty

Hi Gunther51,
None taken. I did have it installed by a shop, but let me clarify. I don't think it is damaging anything. It is just a completely different feel. I think because the Hurst shifter has a shorter shifter handle you lose some leverage and it requires more force to enage the gears. I would be interested to know if you experience the same. Maybe mine was installed incorrectly or not correctly set up, but I don't think their is much configuration to it. It appeared to be strictly a bolt-in replacement.

If you do move forward with installing it, which since you are on these forums I am sure you will, please let me know what you think.

ORIGINAL: gunther51

Hi sty,

I'm new to the forum and I got my 06 manual GT in February. I've only put Magnaflow axle backs on my car and that's it. I'm having a Hurst shifter instaled in the next couple of days and wondered if I'm doing the right thing after reading your comments. I've dry shifted several hurst shifters and it feels great, but have not driven any. Did you install it yourself or a shop. No insult intended, just curiuos. There's a dealership near where I work and they have a performance shop accross the street that literally does about anything to there Fords and they said it would be warranted for 36K/3yr..?? Looking forward to your reply

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for your 05-09 GT