Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Manual Mach 1 vs Auto Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default Manual Mach 1 vs Auto Mach 1

Just a comparison, already know which one is faster, don't care by lengths or whatever...

But, what is the difference? I know the manuals have forged cranks, and their redline is past 6 grand whereas (I've heard) the auto's don't have a forged crank and their redline is before 6 grand...is that true? If not, what rpms do they each make their peak powers? And do they both have the 3.55 rear end gear?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual Mach 1 vs Auto Mach 1

My Mach with a 5spd makes peak power at just under 6100 rpm.As for gears the 5spds do come with 3.55 gears,the autos might have 3.27's like most of ford auto's.Dont quote me,lol.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

They both come with 3.55s. The 5sp comes with a forged crank and redline is higher on them. As far as i know
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Manuals have forged cranks, autos cast. Other than that, they are identical engines (cams, compression, etc.) and have similar powerbands.
The 5 speed has a redline of 6,800 RPMs, the auto 5,800 RPMs.
The reason for the difference in engine redlines is the crank. The reason they have different cranks and therefore redlines is because the auto tranny's guts aren't designed to spin that high and live long, so FoMoCo gave the freer winding 5 speed a forged crank so the engine could wind higher along with the tranny.
There is a difference in weight and parasitic drivetrain loss. The auto is heavier and generally pulls about 18% from the crank. The 3650 is lighter and generally pulls about 15%. Those numbers are subjective and open to interpretation, depending on who you're talking to, but that's not out in left field, either.
They both have 3.55's from the factory.
Does that cover it? Not sure what all you wanted to know, but hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM
radaman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: groundpounder

Manuals have forged cranks, autos cast. Other than that, they are identical engines (cams, compression, etc.) and have similar powerbands.
The reason for the difference in engine redlines is the crank. The reason they have different cranks and therefore redlines is because the auto tranny's guts aren't designed to spin that high and live long, so FoMoCo gave the freer winding 5 speed a forged crank so the engine could wind higher along with the tranny.
There is a difference in weight and parasitic drivetrain loss. The auto is heavier and generally pulls about 18% from the crank. The 3650 is lighter and generally pulls about 15%. Those numbers are subjective and open to interpretation, depending on who you're talking to, but that's not out in left field, either.
This post pretty much sums it up. If you want to know 1/4 miles differences, I give them to you with equal/great drivers for both cars, the manual can run a 13.1/106 stock and the auto can run a 13.6/102 stock. With avg drivers, manual=13.4-13.7/103-105mph, auto=13.6-13.8/101-102mph...this is all based off of articles, drivers themselves and from my personal experience. The main thing that hurts auto's are the stock converter/shift points/shift rpm's.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
COMPMACH
3rd Gear Member

Cool to know,thanks for the info.
ORIGINAL: radaman

This post pretty much sums it up. If you want to know 1/4 miles differences, I give them to you with equal/great drivers for both cars, the manual can run a 13.1/106 stock and the auto can run a 13.6/102 stock. With avg drivers, manual=13.4-13.7/103-105mph, auto=13.6-13.8/101-102mph...this is all based off of articles, drivers themselves and from my personal experience. The main thing that hurts auto's are the stock converter/shift points/shift rpm's.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Yep, that pretty much summed it up, thanks.

Also, thanks radaman for the times on each, I kinda figured the auto's would lag behind by a few tenths, I was just wondering then since the auto's make peak power at a lower rpm, if they would rev quicker than the five speeds, but the gearing for each tranny's gear probably evens that out.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:24 AM
radaman
3rd Gear Member

The manuals have the advantage in choosing its rpm launch and being able to launch at 5K with sticky tires yields some awesome 60' times. Auto's have a weak 1700 rpm converter, thus hindering its launch severely...Manual's will most likely be faster than auto's in stock situations. Now adays, they have awesome 5,6 and 7 speed autos that will equal/beat their manual counter parts
Old 06-01-2007, 04:37 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The manuals have the advantage in choosing its rpm launch and being able to launch at 5K with sticky tires yields some awesome 60' times. Auto's have a weak 1700 rpm converter, thus hindering its launch severely...Manual's will most likely be faster than auto's in stock situations. Now adays, they have awesome 5,6 and 7 speed autos that will equal/beat their manual counter parts
oh hell yeah, look at MB and BMW with their seven speeds, and Lexus has the eight speed in their LS sedan...gee the sebring has a six speed, most fords, chevys will soon i'd imagine, etc.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:44 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

The one thing about the auto versus manual debate that is often overlooked is this:

In drag racing applications, autos never miss a shift. Very consistent and easy to bang gears like a wild man. Just something to remember.

Quick Reply: Manual Mach 1 vs Auto Mach 1