Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

How underated are..

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How underated are..

with a good driver (me) behind the wheel of the mach very good
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

The mach with a decent driver should be a pretty good race against a C5 Vette. The vette will have an edge though. The C6's are different.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

is there a way to keep up with the c6?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MACH5IVE

ORIGINAL: Stone629

Well, all Ls1s are 350hp at the crank regardless of model. Like us, they are slightly underated. Considering Machs are probably really pushing 320hp at the crank, that's about a 30hp difference. Anyway, Machs have much better gearing and a much better powerband. An Ls1 is pushing it's powerbandreving past 6k rpms, so Machs can hold a gear a little longer at 6800rpm. I agree that the Ls1 prolly/MAYBE has the Mach by a hair, but really it's a driver's race. I say that cause I've been lucky enough to either out-run or out-drive almost every Ls1 I've raced with close/Similar mods to mine. I have also owned two Ls1s. A 04 GTO and a 98 Z28. Both with Auto trannys. I modded both Ls1s with full-bolt-ons (LTs,tunes,gears,etc) and I can honestly say that mod for mod, the Mach is Faster. I had to put LTs,full exhaust, CAI,and a dyno tune on the Ls1 GTO just to get a 13.0. With Nitto DRs, I got it down to a 12.85 at 107 which sucked IMO with that amount of modding. The Z28 had a 3k raptor stall, full suspension, full exhaust, LTs, CAI, Dyno tune (340rwhp/400rwtq), and street tires. I landed a 12.70 at 107 with it on a 1.78 60'. A lot of mods for a high 12 [sm=smiley21.gif]. The GTO ran 13.8-14.0 bone stock. No idea on the Camaro since it was modded when I bought it. My Mach ran a 13.4 at 105 bone stock. I am now running a 13.0 at almost 109mph with an O/R/X and 4.10s on street tires, completely pedaling/babying it off the line and in 2nd gear. I think the Machs react better to mods and are all over an Ls1s bumper stock for stock. Really, as far as my experience with the two, the Mach is faster hands down, but with all the claims from the Ls1 guys around here, I tend to doubt my own opinion. I've had both and I vouch for the Mach.
For the first "bolding" (haha) When it comes to mach's vs ls1's i dont think their's such thing as out-driving or whatever! Thats pretty much beating them, withls1's being so comparably equal to mach 1's.. Stock atleast...

For the second "bolding" No offense, but I'd have to say that given those cars and those mods, you're times could been quite a bit better..

For the third "bolding" I have to down right disagree.. The ls1's 5.7 just breaths and responds to mods so much better than our 4.6...

I own a mach 1 and love it to death and have never owned an ls1, so i can my opinions are not biased for any of you guys thinking that!
No offense taken...Let me say this. As far as my times go, they seem bad to you because you are comparing them to claimed ETs on this site. A 2004automatic 4 speed GTO is a 13.8 car bone stock, on a good night! I managed to get a 12.85 out of it with some tires, exhaust mods, and by bumping up the shift pressure 10 calcs. That's a full second off the stock time. The 04 A4 GTO is totally different than a 2006 M6 GTO. Not even in the same class. The Z28 was finicky. I had a road course suspension (Sphoon componets) lowered 2inches, 18" wheels,and with 400rwtq, I'm sorry if I couldn't do better than a 1.7x 60' on street tires Yea, I could've thrown DRs on there like everyone else and used the stall to it's full potential and have ran a low 12, but I was trying to conserve the rear differential that I already had to rebuild twice. If you haven't owned any Ls1s, much less sunk the kind of money I have in one, then you really are out of line telling me what they should or should'nt do. I'm not going by what I've read here on the forums about these cars, rather by experience. I have a VERY small portion invested in my Mach compared to the two Ls1s, and the Mach is already knocking on their high 12 second doors. I'm not trying to sound harsh man, just want to get my point across
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USMCrebel

+1 on the C5s.
If you want to hang with a C6 on the track, you're going to need gears and some slicks and just take him off the line. A Mach would need more than just tires and gears to trap what they do though. On the open road, the Mach would probably need a S/C or a little spray to take one. The stock C6s I've seen at the track have been low-mid 12 second cars trapping ++110mph.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

cant find my dynosheet, but my car with high flow cats, weld in flows, and k&n drop in filter made 293/299 on a 80 degree day. Not sure how much those mods actually helped but I was pretty pleased with the numbers for all that had been done.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

+1 on the C5s.
If you want to hang with a C6 on the track, you're going to need gears and some slicks and just take him off the line. A Mach would need more than just tires and gears to trap what they do though. On the open road, the Mach would probably need a S/C or a little spray to take one. The stock C6s I've seen at the track have been low-mid 12 second cars trapping ++110mph.
ok, so the first mod's for the machs should be
cai
mid pipe/catback
tune
gears.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

+1 on the C5s.
ok, so the first mod's for the machs should be
cai
mid pipe/catback
tune
gears.

Pretty much. Just make sure you decide what you want to do as far as headers go before you get a midpipe since LTs and shorties use different mid-pipes.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

how easy are the LT to put in?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

They can be a headache, but ifyou take the K-Member down, you'll have full access to the header bolts and it's not too bad. Without removing the K-Member...pretty rough. I will be doing my own since everyone wants an arm and a leg to install them.

Quick Reply: How underated are..