Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach 1 Troubles... Some Insight please

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

Default Mach 1 Troubles... Some Insight please

Hey all, new to the forums. i made a post in that section but im sure most people didnt see that so i figured id point it out.

I had a 2008 GT, My mom has a 04 Mach 1 that we have been having a hell of a time with. Its a DSG Manual with around 54XXX miles, bone stock. We have been having trouble with the clutch for probably 25000 miles. It has been replaced several times, most of those times it seems to be due to the incompetency of the mechanics. That dealership really put us through some BS ill be sure to post a topic somwhere relevant to warn against the dealership, but thats another story. The fact of the matter is its been replaced several times (or so they claim), and we still have issues, im pretty positive the transmission has been replaced as well, again so they say. Right now shes at wits end with the car and the BS the dealership has put us through and about ready to sell the car. Has anybody else had clutch problems? if so can you describe them for me please?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Id def take it to a different shop, and try it one more time. Are you just replacing with new stock clutches?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about you troubles. It would help us help you if you could describe the symptoms. What exactly is the trans and clutch doing? If the trans has been replaced, and it would be very helpful to know if it was, it could be that things weren't put back together as they were. Dealer mechanics are trained for such a wide array of automobiles, Mach 1s really aren't thier specialty cars they get too familiar with day in and day out. Since the history of the car is not known, I really couldn't place the sole blame on the vehicle itself, first time I've heard of a clutch problem on a Mach. Your problem would be solved both quicker and with more care by a shop that has more experience with muscle/performance cars. By the way, welcome to the forum!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM
1HottMach
1st Gear Member

+1^ Telll us the symptoms! We don't get a whole lot of MAJOR tranny complaints in the Mach section.. Your standard throwout bearing noise, and bad synchronizers mostly, that I have noticed... Knowing more definate answers will help us help you.. If the tranny was changed, do you know where it came from? Mach, GT, etc and definately definately get another shop OR 2s opinions.. And Yes Welcome!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1HottMach
+1^ Telll us the symptoms! We don't get a whole lot of MAJOR tranny complaints in the Mach section.. Your standard throwout bearing noise, and bad synchronizers mostly, that I have noticed... Knowing more definate answers will help us help you.. If the tranny was changed, do you know where it came from? Mach, GT, etc and definately definately get another shop OR 2s opinions.. And Yes Welcome!
im not the only one, good. because im about to replace that thing and the clutch n flywheel.

sorry. welcome to the forums, it would help to know what your troubles are with the clutch. It would give us a better idea of whats goin on down there. could be a number of problems even the driver. (im not sayin that just because she is a women)

Also, welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy it. tons of stuff can be learned on here =D
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

was the car bought used?
are there noises?
what are the noises?
if everything is new maybe it's not the vehicle?
If you feel like it's not engaging fully, grab the clutch pedal and pull up on it, if it's down some you should hear/feel some clicking ....check the fluid.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

Sorry guys was kinda in a rush lol, forgot to say what its doing.
The car was bought brand new. And has had the stock clutch replaced several times...

The clutch altogether has been replaced a few times, so has the throw out bearing, and pressure plate. i dont think the entire transmission has been replaced tho.

The car catches consistently in 3rd and reverse. When youre getting on it or racing itll catch going into 2nd. It whistles and makes a weird noise when the clutch is being let out and when at idle... Hopefully this gives you a little more insight.

And yea, the warranty is out so the next step is to take it to a performance shop.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

i agree with the performance shop idea they will know the mach 1 alot better than a dealer tech will next time try replacing with a performance clutch if you have to replace it again
Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Man, that's odd stuff right there. I doubt any of us would say that a factory Mach clutch can't go bad, but I think we'd all say that the odds of all the clutches after that going funky sounds funky... like the mechanic isn't properly diagnosing the problem(s). Just take it to the speed shop and tell the man what you've told us and that you want him to make it bulletproof.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

hrmm, i haven't heard the noise one before, but i do need to know was the car bought used, if so check for a adjustable clutch quadrant ( i think that's what it's called...i got to many beers in me right now to member to well) on the firewall. make sure they installed the clutch right...sometimes dem ****ers don't know what the hell they're doing!

Quick Reply: Mach 1 Troubles... Some Insight please