Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

with a built motor and spray for 15k
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91483

in VA for 14k
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=91607

just have to know where to look i have seen some for 12k they just needed to sell due to economy
Old 04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

well the first 1 blew the motor, i wouldnt buy sumtin like that with a replaced motor, talk about decreasing value... and the second 1 is in VA, which proves my point that it must be more expensive for 1 in Jersey... i wasnt saying they dont exist, i believe you are finding them, just i dont think in my area they will be found, lol... there was 1 with like 20k miles for 19,900 in my area... GT's with 54k miles asking 15,500... idk maybe the economy isnt affecting prices as much around by me? if you can find a mach for like 15,000 with like 20-30k original miles id go for it, but i just dont think thatll be found, especially in Jersey.... and any modification to a car decreases the resale value when talking about rarity/collectability
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

you will get a thousand different opinions on your question. Mine goes with the Mach because it has more of a true muscle working man's car appeal to it I guess. If you do get the Mach just make sure you have new internals every aspect of the drivetrain has been upgraded. The key is to get what YOU like!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

I see rookie, i wasn't tryin to be ostile or anything if it seems that way sorry im prety messed up right now and this morn due to meds and a jacked up knee. But yes a cobra can be had and make more power easier, but never discount a mach lighter and all. te block is not a weak point or anything in either car. as a matter of fact the 99 GT uses te same 6 bolt main as the cobra IIRC. the weak link in the mach like rygi said and i said before is the roating assembly. things are generally more expensive in the north than the south/midwest. but you can get a car shipped for like 1200 coast to coast so if you account for that then your car is onl a week away.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

wow, had no idea it cost so little to ship a car...
but as you can see from my posts, the area im from is heavily affecting my opinion because it is more costly to buy a GT in this area and heavily beef it up then to buy a mach or termi... like i said before (based on where i live)
Gt = 15,000 with mods
Mach=18-20,000 with similar mileage stock
Termi = 20,000+ with similar mileage stock

so say you had 25,000 to spend (in my area) it would be WAY more cost efficient to get a GT and put 10,000 into it, then to get a mach and only put 5,000 or a termi and have about enough to fill the gas tank a few times, lol.

so thats where my opinion was coming from, i guess where you guys live it makes more sense to start with a higher pallet if you are really able to get them for a price like that... if i was able to get a mach for what i paid for my GT i probably would have went that route, so i def. see where you guys are coming from now, i hope you can see where im comin from as well...

bottom line to respond to the post, i like the Termi better than the mach... if i had the choice between the two lol
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

the problem is that the GT hit's a wall fairly soon in it's modding life, and then it gets ungodly expensive...ask AZ about it. but yeah 1200-1500 was what i was quoted...you just gotta keep yer eyes open for the deals brother. that's all it takes i waited and looked for 6 years before i bought my 67.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:44 AM
jh2586
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by meechuacon
If you can afford a cobra, I'd buy one. It's what I wanted, but couldn't afford, so I went with the next best thing, a mach 5-spd. I love it over my old 2000 GT, so much better. The only thing I don't like about the cobra is the independent rear suspension. Otherwise it's a beast!!!
Ok here's the thing. The average price on a Cobra is around $18,000 - $22,000. The Mach is around $12,000 - $16,000. GT for $10,000 - $14,000.

I appreciate all of your guys' opinions, and I didn't mean to start a mini "war" lol. But after doing some more research last night, I found out the Cobra has way more than a Mach 1.

1) Better engine
2) S/C already in it.
3) Better suspension.
4) Better transmission.
5) Better interior.
6) Better resale value?

* The appearance goes to the Mach 1 for some reason*
Maybe because of the Shaker Hood and the "sleeper factor".

Now even though I have enough money to buy a Cobra and STILL have plenty left over for mods, cash is still a factor here. I don't want to blow all my money stupidly (if you know what I'm saying).

So what I'm saying is, for what the Cobra has against the Mach 1, i'd have to decide if the extra $6,000 is worth all those things. I guess if I bought the Mach 1 and added all those things mentioned above, it would probably be MORE than 6 grand. So all in all I think the Cobra is probably the better deal. But the fact that I'd have a s/c Mach 1, who most people don't know the difference between a Mach 1 and a GT, it would blow the doors out of most cars out there. Again "sleeper car factor".

And the guy enforcing the "GT" from Jersey.. I already own a GT. Why would I want another one? The whole point of this is to decide between a Mach 1 and a Cobra.. BOTH of which are upgrades to my previous car.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

yea i know, im not "enforcing the GT", the point i was trying prove ended up straying far off into a mini war which i wasnt trying to make happen either. the point i was trying to make (based on prices in my area) it wouldnt matter what you bought, because you can bring everything up to a similar level for around the same final cost, ex:you can make a GT faster than a stock cobra for less than the cost of a cobra.. so the point i was trying to make was to pick whatever you like the looks of better, because between the mach and the cobra, they are both very comparible, the only thing that seperates them really is the supercharger, and alot of people upgrade the cobras supercharger anyway.

so i am in no way whatsoever telling you to like buy a GT, because if i were able to get a mach for the price of my GT, i wouldve have without a doubt. and if i had the money for a cobra, i would have went with that without a doubt, so my first vote is cobra, if there is a drastic difference between the price of a mach and cobra, then go with the mach and s/c it... i made my first statements without knowing the prices in your area, a mach in my area in good shape will run you closer to 18-20,000... cobra over 20,000 easily, and a GT is around 15,000 with mods in excellent shape, since prices are different by you, i would say in your situation go with the mach and s.c it, that would be the "smartest" buy for you... the smartest buy for a person in my area would probably be a GT.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tha187Rookie
yea i know, im not "enforcing the GT", the point i was trying prove ended up straying far off into a mini war which i wasnt trying to make happen either. the point i was trying to make (based on prices in my area) it wouldnt matter what you bought, because you can bring everything up to a similar level for around the same final cost, ex:you can make a GT faster than a stock cobra for less than the cost of a cobra.. so the point i was trying to make was to pick whatever you like the looks of better, because between the mach and the cobra, they are both very comparible, the only thing that seperates them really is the supercharger, and alot of people upgrade the cobras supercharger anyway.

so i am in no way whatsoever telling you to like buy a GT, because if i were able to get a mach for the price of my GT, i wouldve have without a doubt. and if i had the money for a cobra, i would have went with that without a doubt, so my first vote is cobra, if there is a drastic difference between the price of a mach and cobra, then go with the mach and s/c it... i made my first statements without knowing the prices in your area, a mach in my area in good shape will run you closer to 18-20,000... cobra over 20,000 easily, and a GT is around 15,000 with mods in excellent shape, since prices are different by you, i would say in your situation go with the mach and s.c it, that would be the "smartest" buy for you... the smartest buy for a person in my area would probably be a GT.
You've spewed out so much crap in this thread. You might as well stop now man.

Like you said oh no that one had it's motor replaced that's a bad value. Are you effing stupid? If he's going to run a lot of power he is going to forge the internals and it's not going to be stock anyways.

To the OP: if this is going to be your daily then get the cobra. The cobra is much more reliable and less of a pain in the ***. My car is my daily and i've forged the motor and added a supercharger. With the money i've invested I could have had a lightly modded cobra that produces good power without any of the downtime or hassle. You also get factory reliability with the cobra.

With all of that considered, the MAIN reason I would choose the cobra is because of the T56 that comes with the car. That will be my next big upgrade to my mach and it will cost at least $1200.

If you are wanting to make BIG power 700+ then it doesn't really matter if you go with the mach or the cobra. You might as well save money and go with the mach since the factory pistons in the cobra start to get less and less reliable as you approach the 700 mark and are going to need to be replaced anyways. The factory eaton, ported, is only good for 500'ish. With this much power you are also going to be switching to a solid which isn't a bad idea anyways if you are drag racing or track racing. The IRS in the cobra is not as great for handling as most people think it is. The IRS was an after the fact design where ford cheapened out and said hey, lets make an irs that will fit a body designed for a solid. A good example is the video of a gt500 vs 03 cobra on the track. The gt500 did MUCH better than the cobra with the IRS around the turns.

Don't get me wrong. I love my car and it does get a lot of attention because you do not see mach's as modified as mine very often. You really just have to figure out what you want to use the car for and what your power goals are.

Last edited by Furinox; 04-09-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i think its just you... i like the cobras a lot better, my buddy has a mach 1 s/c and it looks like a gt with a shaker hood in my opinion...it does have about 500 hp, but cobras can get faster pretty easy... if you do get a mach 1 at least change that hideous front bumper as your first upgrade, hate that license plate spot! but if the decision is between the mach and the cobra, i strongly think the cobra is the way to go, you could always turbo it or swap out the supercharger for a nice upgrade!
hmm..this looks like an opinion to me, nothing to get all worked up over...

and IMO the mach 1 isnt really too far off from a gt... it looks a lil diff, has a lil more horsepower and diff interior, but for the price difference, you could get a really really nice gt for the price of a beat on mach 1, not to mention most of the gts come with at least an exhaust at this point... i had to choose between a mach and a gt and i went with the gt cuz i figured with what i was saving i could make my gt that much better, lol... no offense to mach guys, just the shaker isnt for me, lol
and look, this is an opinion too, idk why everyone is getting all worked up over this!

it depends what your use for the car is, my goal with my vehicle is to be between 400 and 500whp, i didnt really care about the interior, the shaker, the 4v, or the suspension, because i knew with the $5,000 i saved by getting a GT instead of a Mach, i could just supercharge my GT and be satisfied... maybe the prices arent the same now, or maybe the prices in my area are just inflated more than the middle states, but the fact is, for my use i was very content saving $5,000 and going with a modded GT, did i tell him to buy one? no. he obviously has more money to work with, if i had more money to work with i wouldve went with a mach instead, or if i had a lil more i would definately go with a cobra, i personally did not, thats all i was saying.

with my original post which started all this nonsense i said nothing wrong, i gave facts from my own personal situation, and my opinion... the only negative thing i even said about a mach is that i feel like it looks alot like a GT, it looks like a GT with a shaker hood, and thats why i like the cobra better, i just thing it looks alot nicer from the factory.... STILL my opinion, did i really say anything wrong? i dont think so, and im sorry if i did, like i said before, im in no way trying to offend people, and im definately not trashing a car, and im not being Mr GT, i was just giving an opinion, idk y all the mach guys need to get all worked up over it, im sorry i started all of this...

GT<Mach<Termi IMO, ill just leave it at that, i hope we can all just get over this now, once again, sorry giving my opinion caused so much of a disturbance

Quick Reply: S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.