Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Longtube headers question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Ok cool. Just need to let my dad warm up to the idea lol. Its my money so I don't get what the big deal is and yes I have a safety cushion... lol. So I was thinking MAC longtubes with Lethal Performance brand x pipe and doing the cat-back later. I have weld in flows for now. I have a guy saying he can install them for $450, that's pretty decent right?

http://www.lethalperformance.com/exh...x-pipe-p-15708
Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 PM
japan4racing
1st Gear Member

i dont know what the going cost is for long tube installs but i have been qouted $255 for my kooks i am hopefully buying. that is a local shop and i know the owner as well as most of the ppl thatwork there but $255 seems like a hell of a deal..i was thinking more like $400 or so
Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by japan4racing
i dont know what the going cost is for long tube installs but i have been qouted $255 for my kooks i am hopefully buying. that is a local shop and i know the owner as well as most of the ppl thatwork there but $255 seems like a hell of a deal..i was thinking more like $400 or so
You are correct. That is a hell of a deal lol.

fstang, 400 is a good deal also. I've seen as much as 600 quoted. I would suggest you go ahead and get a catback system to go with it all. I have heard about people getting weird results running an upgraded exhaust system with the stock 2.25" piping at the rear of the car. It creates a bottle neck for the exhaust gases. Plus you need some big shiny tips for the icing on the cake!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Well you are doing this you should add an egr delete and ford racing stage 8 locking header bolts.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I cant offord the cat-back too. Isnt it 2.5 stock? I wouldnt be trying to get headers with 3 in collectors right??? I thought that was a little too big for a lightly moded motor? I dont know s*** about this kinda stuff so bare with me lol. I cant believe how bad my dad freaks out when I want to buy stuff for my car? I will have like 4500 in the bank soon wtf? Lol. What do you think of either one of these or headman for that matter? Why is chrome so cheap; does it just suck?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P.../?autoview=SKU

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 09-14-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Well, you kinda have to look at the exhaust system on these cars as just that, a complete system, comprised of three parts. The manifolds, or headers, the mid-pipe, and the catback.

Changing out one component without considering how that will affect the other two isn't a good plan. If all you are looking to accomplish is altering the sound, then changing the mid-pipe, and/or the catback will do that, but won't give you much of a performance gain.

If you want to up the performance level, you have to look at changing out the complete system with something that flows better than the stock components.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Correct me if im wrong but I was under the impressoin that my stock cat-back( + weld in flows) was 2.5 in and that an aftermarket cat-back really didnt flow too much better. I eventually want to buy Corsa mufflers and a manderal bent system to construct a cat-back but I only have maybe around 1100 to work with. So I guess my question is; am I trying to buy headers that have 3 in collectors or 2.5? 2.5 in would give me the correct amount of back pressure right? Thanks for your help by the way.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the stock exhaust is all 2.5 inch piping. If your plans are to keep the car n/a for some time, I would go with the 1 5/8 inch long tubes with 2.5 inch collectors, matched to a 2.5 inch catted x or h pipe, and keep your current catback for a while.

If your plans call for forced induction, nitrous, blower, or turbo down the road, then you're going to need the benefit of the larger diameter piping.

And you're welcome, that's what we're all here for.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Yes chrome headers suck. The chrome will peel off quickly and the bare metal will be likely to rust. Get ceramic coated or stainless.

I didn't know 4v cars had 2.5" piping stock. I assumed it was 2.25 like the GTs. Good to know!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

My 96 GT had 2.5... I plan on keeping the car n/a so I will do the 2.5. Cant wait, I figure I will be able to do it sometime in October. Will MAC longtubes bolt up to other brand mid-pipes, say mac and pypes, or is it brand specific like SLP? I have another question, it seems to me like my car loses a little power after it gets completely warmed up and has been driving for maybe 20-30 min continuously. In the mornings when it is maybe halfway warmed up it screems however, is this normal? It was maybe 75 degrees today... Ever since I bought this car I worry about it all the time lol.

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 09-15-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Longtube headers question