Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > Mach 1 Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
austin3565

Vehicle: 2003 ford mach 1
Default warm shift ****

hey guys earlier I was driving my car and went in the house for about 15 min and came back out to leave again and noticed when grabbing my shift **** it was warm not hot but a lil warm. is this normal?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
austin3565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Was it sitting out in the sun?
derboesekoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 04 ford Mach 1

Yes, I keep a microfiber in the center counsol and drape it over the **** on hot days. At times the **** will get so hot you can barely touch it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
austin3565

Vehicle: 2003 ford mach 1

I live in washington state theres no such thing as the sun, but No it wasn't in the sun it was under a metal awning. Iv noticed it before while driving but thought it was from the body heat of my palm. Like I said before its just warm not hot
austin3565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Vehicle: 2004 Mach 1

The transmission gets hot and the aluminum shift ball conducts heat, especially if you have an aftermarket shifter without rubber insulators between the shift lever and transmission.

You have sun even in Washington and it heats your car's cockpit. Driving around, the sun gradually warms everything in the cockpit including you. Park the car, go inside for 15 minutes and you will cool off more rapidly that you car sitting under an awning. (Plus the hot engine and hot transmission are still heat soaking the entire car as well as the shift ****).

Get back in the car, and it is warmer than you.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Sonic Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
Yes, I keep a microfiber in the center counsol and drape it over the **** on hot days. At times the **** will get so hot you can barely touch it.
You're exaggerating. I've made it through 125F+ both Palm Springs and Death Valley in August without covering my shift ****.

I parked with both windows open 1/2" and used my Clifford/Viper alarm to roll down both windows as I approached the car.

If the shift **** got really hot, Ford would have been sued by now ( hint, hint) and would have affixed a McDonald's coffee style heat warning label to our dashboards.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
You're exaggerating. I've made it through 125F+ both Palm Springs and Death Valley in August without covering my shift ****.

I parked with both windows open 1/2" and used my Clifford/Viper alarm to roll down both windows as I approached the car.

If the shift **** got really hot, Ford would have been sued by now ( hint, hint) and would have affixed a McDonald's coffee style heat warning label to our dashboards.
WARNING!! LUKEWARM TEMPERATURE!!

This Ford vehicle is equipped with a bare aluminum shift **** that conducts and retains more heat than a leather or vinyl counterpart.

It, along with several other unique components are part of a Heritage Package designed to evoke the Mach 1s of the late 1960s and early 1970s - back when performance cars were loud, angry and hot and men didn't exfoliate.

Some of today's men may not be able to adapt to certain traits of this vehicle designed to appeal to men in the last century. If a warm shift ****, louder exhaust or harsher ride causes you concern, or watching the Shaker shake while driving instills feelings of hopelessness or suicide, please have your girlfriend or wife drive you to the nearest Lincoln dealer where you can trade in your Mach 1 for something less stressful.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 04 ford Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
You're exaggerating.
I've always been cool with you so why are you screwing with me? I'm telling you, I climb into the car on a hot day and can barely touch the ^#*%ing shift ****. I like the **** and was trying to give the op a simple solution how to deal with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
I've always been cool with you so why are you screwing with me? I'm telling you, I climb into the car on a hot day and can barely touch the ^#*%ing shift ****. I like the **** and was trying to give the op a simple solution how to deal with it.
You're no fun at all. I must have missed the hot **** TSB.

Besides, your advice on how to "deal with it" has nothing to do with the OP's question:

Why is my gear shift **** warm(er) after driving in "no sun" Washington and parking in the shade for 15 minutes.?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 04" Ford Mustang GT

Yes the shifter conducts heat from tranny very easily and gets warm after driving. Mine gets warm after some extended driving in warmer weather. Its worse if you have an aftermarket shifter and or **** that isnt cloth/leather covered.
DSG 04" GT, 5 spd - P1SC Procharger 9 lbs - Anderson Power Pipe - 385 rwhp 329 rwtq - Dyno tuned by Performance Dyno - SLP LMII - Bassini X pipe - 3:73 FRRP - Eibach Pro-Kit - Nittos/ Staggerd on 18" GT500 Black chrome wheels - Seq turn - Steeda Short Shifter - Mach 1 grill delete & chin spoiler - Autometer boost & fuel press gauges - Shorty antenna - Smoked head & tail lights - 5K HIDs
FrostByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement