Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Mass Chit-Chat

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

So I did the belt change today. Taking the vortech off was easy and went way smoother than I thought it would. Belt tensioner doesn't bottom out anymore which was the clicking sound I had previously. And it only took an hour and a half to take it off and out it back on too
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
CaptainStr8edge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Aftermarket billet grille? (Hard to understand how the factory plastic one could "fall off", those things are a pain in the butt to remove when you want them off...)
you would think so lol. nope, it was the stocker. I must not have had it in correct the first time. The top tabs are a huge PITA to get on and I felt like I was going to break the bumper when I was pushing on it.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:20 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

So I finally met Paul today, great guy and got some awesome parts!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RJDavis413
So I finally met Paul today, great guy and got some awesome parts!
Great meeting you and your brother as well. Wish my car was up and running, we could have gone to "play" for a bit while you were here.

Since you're home and online, I can presume you made it ok, and the vehicle survived?

p.s. Rob, one thing I thought of to mention: when you're cleaning/painting before install, be careful around the axle vent (the little 1" cylinder on the top of the axle tube). You don't want to gum it up with the paint, the cap part needs to be able to move in order to vent air pressure as the axle heats and cools.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 06-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:21 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

Great meeting you and your brother as well. Wish my car was up and running, we could have gone to "play" for a bit while you were here.

Since you're home and online, I can presume you made it ok, and the vehicle survived?

p.s. Rob, one thing I thought of to mention: when you're cleaning/painting before install, be careful around the axle vent (the little 1" cylinder on the top of the axle tube). You don't want to gum it up with the paint, the cap part needs to be able to move in order to vent air pressure as the axle heats and cools.
Yes Paul we made it home safe and thanks for the extra info, I'd love to have at least the rear end in before next Saturday but I don't see that happening . And too bad we couldn't have drove around for a bit, but its fine because I would've preferred to have my pony
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Yes Paul we made it home safe and thanks for the extra info, I'd love to have at least the rear end in before next Saturday but I don't see that happening . And too bad we couldn't have drove around for a bit, but its fine because I would've preferred to have my pony
It's a semi-large job, definitely better to take your time.

Does your car have ABS?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

It's a semi-large job, definitely better to take your time.

Does your car have ABS?
I think it does but I'm not 100% sure, anywhere I can check it?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I think it does but I'm not 100% sure, anywhere I can check it?
The ABS module would be right behind the driver's side headlight. Looks like a hefty block of aluminum with a bunch of steel brake lines connected.

Reason I ask is if you do have ABS, you'll need to transfer the wheel sensors on each side from the old axle. Be VERY careful removing these, they have a metal core with a plastic outer casing which includes the hole for the bolt that secures them. The hole in the axle flange is VERY tight, and once a little rust forms in it they can be tough to remove.

Take the bolt out and spray the area around the sensor with a good penetrating oil. You may have to let this soak and work for a good while. Only try to remove the sensor by gently rotating it a few degrees. add more oil if needed. Do NOT do the "obvious" thing by using the tab the bolt goes through as a prying surface with a screwdriver, etc. It's only plastic, and it will easily snap right off.

People break these all the time. Just be careful and patient.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM
HellsBells
1st Gear Member

Still have stock rims with almost new snow tires for sale.

Also, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, brand new in box--never installed for 05-10 cars. $675 picked up.

Steeda double driveshaft safety loop: $200 picked up

help me move stuff out of my place (in Boston)

Also have some random stock parts: 08-09 coolant crossover, fuel pump, fuel rails, fuel lines, cams, panhard bar, panhard brace, lower control arms, blablabla...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

what driveshaft are we installing this weekend then? :/

Quick Reply: Mass Chit-Chat