Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

??? for Chicagoland MFers!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Default ??? for Chicagoland MFers!!

Hey obviously im located near Chicago. Im looking for a good preferrably private mechanic who specializes in our types of vehicles. I feel like im in the black hole of performance mechanics. Used to be one litterally 2 blocks down from me but he hightailed it out. Any suggestions? Please name a place you can vouch for if possible, im willing to drive alittle for some peace of mind!

Also, for chicago-ins...

Lowering springs + chicago city streets (aka swiss cheese) = Good or bad idea? have you had any problems? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Look up Delong Ford in morris its probally a 2 hour drive or so. John Delong is the owners son and a certified ford mechanic who does mustangs after hours. He has done lots of work for me over the years, havent talked to him in over a year but i bet he still does after hours work. More then once I went down on a sunday or an evening night and he did good work for very reasonable cost.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Does it take awhile to get the work done? Any problems with anything he has installed for you?

Morris is alittle bit of a clip, but like i said, if its worth the drive, you might just find me speeding down 55!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:10 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

http://www.candmperformance.com/

Owners name is Marv, has 1 person working for him (Brian), and he is very good at what he does. Send him an email, let him know I sent you, and he will take good car of you with whatever you need. (He knows his cumstomers by their cars, so tell him what mine looks like, then he'll be like "oh, Bob sent you") He not only works on Mustangs, he owns and road courses one of his own (03 Yellow Terminator) up here at Road America (best road course in the nation BTW). Super nice guy, and besides Brenspeed in Indiana (which would be another option), the only performace places I will let touch my car "locally".
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Oh, and I have lowering springs on my car up here in WI, no problems yet. Don't get crazy low, keep good shocks on it (I have Tociko adjustables) and you'll be fine!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhichOnesTheGas
Does it take awhile to get the work done? Any problems with anything he has installed for you?

Morris is alittle bit of a clip, but like i said, if its worth the drive, you might just find me speeding down 55!
no he is great never had a single issue with his work, he is pretty quick

i went down on a saturday morning at about 10am and was home by 4pm with my 3.73 gears installed which have never made any noise

when i had my foxbody mustang i got there at closing time 6pm did headers, hpipe, and catback exhaust and i was home by midnite including the 2 hours or whatever each way

once i start really digging into my s197 he will be doing any of the work i dont want to tackle myself

he has done a decent amount of s197 work from gears, to blower installs

not saying there isnt anyone else closer who is good but he is who i am going to, he also does handheld tunes i believe
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Look up Delong Ford in morris its probally a 2 hour drive or so. John Delong is the owners son and a certified ford mechanic who does mustangs after hours. He has done lots of work for me over the years, havent talked to him in over a year but i bet he still does after hours work. More then once I went down on a sunday or an evening night and he did good work for very reasonable cost.
Delong Ford is in Dwight (South of Morris).

Greenway Ford is in Morris.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

delong ford in dwight my mistake, the exit i take off the highway is dwight/morris
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Join Chicagolandmustang.com ...........tons of guys/knowledge
Old 04-23-2009, 04:18 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Hey thanks for all the replies guys!!! Really appreciated!

I just signed up for the Chicagoland one Mike, looks gooooood! Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: ??? for Chicagoland MFers!!