Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Motor Swap Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT, 06 Vert
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem-06 View Post
If anything register in ky. They barely care if all 4 wheels are attached
*Dixie Horn*
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Black 06 GT 5 speed, CAI, tuned, various electronics, scoops, nothing special

Red 06 v6 Vert

Tungsten 2007 v6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironh19 View Post
totally, if any animal hits my car, I will genocide that species. thats why there are no kids in my neighborhood now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Gun View Post
*Dixie Horn*
Sir I am offended at your generalization. We do not play Dixie here.
(strums my banjo)
Bahah
Lem-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #43
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT, 06 Vert
Send a message via MSN to Young_Gun Send a message via Yahoo to Young_Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem-06 View Post
Sir I am offended at your generalization. We do not play Dixie here.
(strums my banjo)
Bahah
Is it bad that the only thing I can play on a trumpet is Dixie? Lol

Black 06 GT 5 speed, CAI, tuned, various electronics, scoops, nothing special

Red 06 v6 Vert

Tungsten 2007 v6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironh19 View Post
totally, if any animal hits my car, I will genocide that species. thats why there are no kids in my neighborhood now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical! View Post
It would be excellent on a presidential ballot: "None of the above. They're all idiots."
Young_Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #44
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang Bullitt + 2009 GT-500KR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Gun View Post
Do you really think he cares about SMOG???..
Probably not. Anyone who would take out a venerable but fully developed engine with modern engine controls, and swap in an even more antiquated engine with a relatively weak bottom end, and primitive engine controls, in hopes of more power (?), probably doesn't care about a whole lot... Lets see; more fuel used for little power gain, more weight (though probably not that much), and worse reliability. I guess the plus side would be V8 sound and... that's about it. If you're swapping an old-fashioned engine into a modern car, shouldn't it at least be an engine with some worthwhile reward; some special merit - like real torque? A 427 cammer might be interesting, but an old pushrod 302? Sorry, but that 302 should have gone away in the '70s. How it made it into the 1990s, was just Ford's good luck, and their great ability to keep selling yesterday's product well into next week. As much as people love them and think they're so cool, I think that old engine should have been buried long ago; it just doesn't belong in a modern Mustang. Sorry if this just sounds bitter, but I've never been a Fox fan (they're light, but flexy, cheap and fugly), and that smallblock, as good as it was in the early '60s, is now just ancient news. Bad choice for a modern car swap. Better off with a Chevy 383, if you ask me, and that's another ancient design...but it'll make serious power, hold together better, and for less $ spent. Am I wrong?

oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #45
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007/ 4.0 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
Probably not. Anyone who would take out a venerable but fully developed engine with modern engine controls, and swap in an even more antiquated engine with a relatively weak bottom end, and primitive engine controls, in hopes of more power (?), probably doesn't care about a whole lot... Lets see; more fuel used for little power gain, more weight (though probably not that much), and worse reliability. I guess the plus side would be V8 sound and... that's about it. If you're swapping an old-fashioned engine into a modern car, shouldn't it at least be an engine with some worthwhile reward; some special merit - like real torque? A 427 cammer might be interesting, but an old pushrod 302? Sorry, but that 302 should have gone away in the '70s. How it made it into the 1990s, was just Ford's good luck, and their great ability to keep selling yesterday's product well into next week. As much as people love them and think they're so cool, I think that old engine should have been buried long ago; it just doesn't belong in a modern Mustang. Sorry if this just sounds bitter, but I've never been a Fox fan (they're light, but flexy, cheap and fugly), and that smallblock, as good as it was in the early '60s, is now just ancient news. Bad choice for a modern car swap. Better off with a Chevy 383, if you ask me, and that's another ancient design...but it'll make serious power, hold together better, and for less $ spent. Am I wrong?
lol well you know what they say about opinions and a$$holes. I wouldn't personally put a 302 in my 2007 pp, but would love to see if it could be done. nothing wrong with the 302, i had 150 thousand miles on my old 302 and it was running 12.90 with slicks, long tubes, and a b-cam. I'm sure with the procharger he'll be in the low 12's possibly 11's. 383. . .cmon man!!! sacrilegious ! how about a stroked Winsor or a 460? anyway I say go for it buddy, you'll never know unless you try.

Vortech 13psi
front mount I/C
tunes by VMP
Hurst short throw shifter
GT take off
honey comb back panel
lowered 1 5/8
Steeda wing
13.23@107.24 open rear w/3.31 gears and P-Zeros
turbo 2.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #46
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07rousche4.0 View Post
trust me kput i would but this is like a quarter of the price for this swap and i already have it so tere is really no point and with this i could pull on a coyote pretty easy, plus im just a fan of pushrods... the mods just dont have that .... sound that everyone loves
Your first mistake is that you're using GT40 heads on that pushrod mill...
Those heads don't flow for schit so it doesn't matter what intake, cam etc... you'll use because the restriction will cancel the benefits.
Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of AFR (185cc) or trick flow heads (Victor Jr are good as well) especially if you're gonna supercharged.
With a carburator, you won't pass inspection in NY, so it's another issue you're facing.
A T5 tranny is also about junk on a mill that has over 300hp, won't last.
A Tremec TKO is what you need but since the S197 uses a "remote" shifter due to its tunnel design, you'll have to address that as well and on and on.

I am not knocking your project on the contrary, but you'll need a well thought plan in order to avoid major headaches...
Good luck with this.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Quote:
a foxbody with a 5.0 and a t5 for 800 bucks all running, ........, 3.55 gears with t-lok and the 8.8 rear end with spacers,
Are you planning to swap the 8.8 from the Fox to the S197? That is going to take some major modification. The S197 uses a 3 link and the Fox uses a 4 link. The cost of fabrication will probably be more than just going with the 2012 rear end like someone suggested.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #48
07rousche4.0

Vehicle: 2007 ford mustang
Danny Griffin
Send a message via Yahoo to 07rousche4.0 Send a message via Skype™ to 07rousche4.0

ok guys time came, started it and decided against it cause i can throw the fully built block and heads from ssm in it for just as much and i flopped on my money haha but still i only paid 800 for the fox and sold it for 2500... good flip but thanks for the support
07rousche4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #49
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

Quote:
ok guys time came, started it and decided against it cause i can throw the fully built block and heads from ssm in it for just as much and i flopped on my money haha but still i only paid 800 for the fox and sold it for 2500... good flip but thanks for the support
Best Decision You Made!!! Take the extra money and use it toward what it likes to have in it. Whatever you do, you'll enjoy the difference!
Keep us posted on progress along with pics.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
S197P51

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang Pony
Joey Genitempo reflexr

I am also thinking of doing this. I am gonna build an all aluminum, afr headed 3- 350 horse road race motor. I have the tuning handled, the drivetrain and suspension are all beefed up for the track already, and I can buy adapters for my BMR K-member to take the 5.0. Should be wicked!
S197P51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 302, 4.0, 40, 4o, 5.0, 50, 50swap, ford, mustang, pushrod, s197, s197 swap, swap, v6 swap