Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

408 stroker swap, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
I am Reptar

Default 408 stroker swap, help needed

I am going to take a 351w and put a 408 stroker kit in it. My goal in life is to produce a 800hp naturally aspirated, street drivable engine. Is this possible? If so what kind of setup do i need to look at (intake, heads, cam, exct...). If its not possible what kind of hp am i looking at? All advice is welcome, please and thank you!!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

To get 800 ponies NA you need bid cubes and the best heads available on the market...
The 408 won't get you there, nor the 427.
The only mill I can think of is the 429 BOSS made by this guy:
http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...1-engines.html

Not cheap, but awesome.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

With a 408 stroker, BAD AZZ heads, and a NASTY cam and a nasty carb setup. I think youll see somewhere in the 550-maybe 600rwhp range depending on the rest of the drivetrain. But it wont be very streetable. 800 horse NA, you looking at a big inch stroker big block. Start with a 460 and stroke to a 514 or larger with a nast head and cam combo and u can get there, but need a better definition of street driveable, probably gonna get hot at extended idles and if you mean reliable daily driver kind of streetability its not gonna happen.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I am Reptar

I can settle for 550hp for now, would Dart Pro 210cc heads be big enough or do i need to go bigger? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DRT-13071123/ thanks for the help im learning as i go
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

It all depends, your best bet is to talk to an engine builder and see what head/cam/intake combo would be best for you.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

After years of working in engine shops, I can tell you that the general rule of thumb for an all out N/A SBF is this: the horsepower reaches around 2 x the displacement and torque reaches about 1.5 x the displacement. So for a max effort N/A 408" SBF, you're looking at around 816hp/612tq. And by "max effort" I mean a high compression, high rpm setup with poor driveability.

Now, when you can settle for 550hp, that's a totally different ballgame. A 408 with a Trick Flow top end will make 550hp without breaking a sweat. Then add Boooost and you'll surpass 800hp with ease.

Of course, when you start making all of this horsepower, you'll definitely need to get with me for some UPR Products suspension to make that car hook!

For entertainment purposes, here's the 427" in my '89 LX:

Last edited by UPRSharad; 08-29-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I am Reptar

Very nice, I can only dream to get my fox looking like that.

What I would like to do is make as much horsepower as I can, while still having a weekend/every other day driver. I say this because for the most part beside my bicycle this will be how i get around.

This is what i have so far,
crankshaft: http://www.probeindustries.com/Probe...ke_p/10009.htm
I believe these are the rods I have: http://www.probeindustries.com/Probe...th_p/11664.htm
Nitrous: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NOS-07006NOS/

The only reason I say N/A is because I feel like it would be cheeper (correct me if Im wrong), and i dont thing I can afford a turbo or super charger

I am thankful for any advice or directions
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
After years of working in engine shops, I can tell you that the general rule of thumb for an all out N/A SBF is this: the horsepower reaches around 2 x the displacement and torque reaches about 1.5 x the displacement. So for a max effort N/A 408" SBF, you're looking at around 816hp/612tq. And by "max effort" I mean a high compression, high rpm setup with poor driveability.

Now, when you can settle for 550hp, that's a totally different ballgame. A 408 with a Trick Flow top end will make 550hp without breaking a sweat. Then add Boooost and you'll surpass 800hp with ease.

Of course, when you start making all of this horsepower, you'll definitely need to get with me for some UPR Products suspension to make that car hook!

For entertainment purposes, here's the 427" in my '89 LX:

Sharad my man, more pics are definatly needed of this car please.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I am Reptar
Very nice, I can only dream to get my fox looking like that.

What I would like to do is make as much horsepower as I can, while still having a weekend/every other day driver. I say this because for the most part beside my bicycle this will be how i get around.

The only reason I say N/A is because I feel like it would be cheeper (correct me if Im wrong), and i dont thing I can afford a turbo or super charger

I am thankful for any advice or directions
Thanks. What I was getting at with my initial post is that max N/A horsepower is EXPENSIVE and does not have good street driveability. Whereas the same horsepower level is EASILY attainable with LESS money and GREATER driveability if you add boost.

Like I said 800hp N/A is a big money, poor driveability, high strung deal. Whereas, 800hp boosted can be made with a stock blocked 351 and a Novi2000. Believe it or not, the boosted combo would be cheaper and have better driveability.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Sharad my man, more pics are definatly needed of this car please.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
I am Reptar

Ok you have me sold on boost. But now my dilemma is money. Anyone have a winning lottery ticket I can borrow? lol

Quick Reply: 408 stroker swap, help needed