Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

2003 V6 motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
DeadBob

See I completely see where you're coming from, I have a V6 too, and I'm trying to get the most out of it, the 3.8L wasn't exactly the greatest engine ever built, and exactly for that reason there isn't a lot for it, you'd almost just be better off getting an alluminum block for your V6 and twin turbo'n it, get a stronger drive shaft and slap duel exhuast on it, and for oh say probably like a tad of 5K figuring like $700 for a drive shaft, 700ish for exhuast at most, and then the rest for turbos and the block
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

As someone who has explored almost every possible option on how to build a pushrod V6 in the Mustang... add a supercharger to your stock motor and enjoy it. It will be the best bang for the buck, keep it street legal, not kill your MPG and still put a smile on your face.

Another option is the 4.2L out of the F150 and V6 Econoline vans. The 4.2L starts at the same power of the old school pushrod 5.0L - but in a V6. The block is the same, and they swap right in. You reuse your 3.8L oil pan so it fits the Mustang K member, and you reuse the Mustang upper intake so it will sit under your stock hood.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
As someone who has explored almost every possible option on how to build a pushrod V6 in the Mustang... add a supercharger to your stock motor and enjoy it. It will be the best bang for the buck, keep it street legal, not kill your MPG and still put a smile on your face.

Another option is the 4.2L out of the F150 and V6 Econoline vans. The 4.2L starts at the same power of the old school pushrod 5.0L - but in a V6. The block is the same, and they swap right in. You reuse your 3.8L oil pan so it fits the Mustang K member, and you reuse the Mustang upper intake so it will sit under your stock hood.
Thank you for a legit suggestion with the 4.2L. I have a few questions about your suggestion though. The torque and hp ratings for the 4.2 that I looked into only showed about a 15hp and 30 ft/lb gain in torque. Are we looking at different engines, and if not do you know of something to do to that engine to make it better? I'm assuming it wont be compatible with the rest of the drivetrain and that will have to be replaced as well?

And bad news to the other guy who had the V6 and was wanting to upgrade, I talked to the aftermarket shop at Ford and they said there is nothing really to do with this engine. They said CAI and custom exhaust is about it, unless you can MAYBE find a race shop that will do something custom to it but then you will probably pay a ridiculous rate for it.

So does anyone have any news on that 4.2L, and I guess I'll start looking into V8's. Any suggestions along those lines? I was looking at the new coyote engine, has anyone had any experience with that?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Daytripper540
3rd Gear Member

The aftermarket shop guys didn't know what they were talking about..
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

if it was me, I would just go to a junkyard and get a 4.6 V8. Since you have the engine out, you can just have someone or a shop tear it down, look it over and replace what needs replacing and slap it in the car.
I think just doing a V8 swap would be cheaper, quicker to do, and yes, you can get 20mpg or better easily... Its a swap thats been done many times and theres tons of help & info out here.

Or.......... just take out the 3.8 you have now, break it down, look over the parts, replace what needs replacing, put back in car & enjoy..... the 3.8 V6 is a very reliable, strong engine and with care you can easily get 200,000 or more miles.

Last edited by CaptainRon; 05-18-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The V8 swap is a PAIN. There is SOOOOO much more needed to make it run correctly. For the time and money you'll dump into it, you can make the V6 a more powerful and cheaper option.

For the 4.2L, it's the same heads as the 3.8L, same lower intake as well. The 4.2L uses a taller U shaped upper intake manifold with the throttle body located at the front. The way it sits makes it impossible for it to fit under a hood (even a large cowl). The good part is the 3.8L upper intakes all fit it (so you can use a stock one or the Windstar upper intake that flows better air).

The block is the same to. Really the main difference is the long stroke of the 4.2L crank/rotating assembly, and the oil pan. The oil pan from the F150's 4.2L won't fit right over the k member of the Mustang, so you need to use the 01-04 3.8L oil pan (earlier year 3.8L pans are a different shape, and the 4.2L crank will make contact with them).

The 4.2L (with a good set of heads and the right cam) will put down mid 200 rwhp. The biggest advantage is they respond VERY well to boost. You can hit 350-380 before needing a forged bottom end. If you have the forged bottom end, the sky is the limit. There are 600-700-800 rwhp V6 Mustangs running around. Most V8 guys just don't like to admit it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
The 4.2L (with a good set of heads and the right cam) will put down mid 200 rwhp. The biggest advantage is they respond VERY well to boost. You can hit 350-380 before needing a forged bottom end. If you have the forged bottom end, the sky is the limit. There are 600-700-800 rwhp V6 Mustangs running around. Most V8 guys just don't like to admit it.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. That is exactly what I am looking for. Now my question is: are you saying the stock motor can handle enough boost to land you at 350 hp? With everything I have worked on we never ran boost on stock under the premise that it would blow out the bottom end of the motor. It was always just "do it 100% the first time so you don't have to come back and fix it later." And lastly, you said earlier that it will fit nicely on the oil pan (I have an 03) and the upper intake will fit right on, but does it match up to my transmission? Or will I need to get the rest of the drivetrain to go with that engine? And accessories, radiator, p/s pump, alternator, etc, do you know if those are compatible? Because from what I have looked at the 3.8 and the 4.2 are almost the exact same engine, just the 4.2 has a slightly larger bore and the different intake. So I'm not sure how closely the rest of it will match up.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Daytripper540
The aftermarket shop guys didn't know what they were talking about..
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/
This is what I was going to recommend. They used to make 4.2L stroker kit although I don't see it listed anymore (maybe it's the 4.2L F-150 mod?)

Anyways, way easier than a motor swap where you have a LOT of electrical stuff to work out in addition to the supporting components.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IronMan0002005
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. That is exactly what I am looking for. Now my question is: are you saying the stock motor can handle enough boost to land you at 350 hp? With everything I have worked on we never ran boost on stock under the premise that it would blow out the bottom end of the motor. It was always just "do it 100% the first time so you don't have to come back and fix it later." And lastly, you said earlier that it will fit nicely on the oil pan (I have an 03) and the upper intake will fit right on, but does it match up to my transmission? Or will I need to get the rest of the drivetrain to go with that engine? And accessories, radiator, p/s pump, alternator, etc, do you know if those are compatible? Because from what I have looked at the 3.8 and the 4.2 are almost the exact same engine, just the 4.2 has a slightly larger bore and the different intake. So I'm not sure how closely the rest of it will match up.
Thanks.

The stock V6 (assuming it's in good shape) will take 350hp without issue. Some have been pushed into the 400 range, but most will agree that is running on borrowed time.
You're trans will bolt right up to a 4.2L, since it is the same block as the 3.8L. All the accessories are the same as well.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

I appreciate all of yours guys insight and there are a few things I'm now looking into. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild the 3.8 and turbo it, or buy the 4.2 and push it to around 350hp. OR maybe get the 4.2 and rebuild it! But I don't have to make a decision yet and now I know where to get my information for it.

But I have a more immediate problem, my clutch is giving me some trouble and I think it's going to go soon so I'm looking into replacements. I don't really see the point in replacing it with a stock clutch if in the next year or so I'll be upgrading the rest of the drive train and I'll have to change that with it again. Does anyone have a performance clutch that they recommend? Same thing as before, what have you used and how is it working for you? The one that I'm leaning towards at the moment is a RAM HDX clutch from American Muscle. Supposed to be rated to 450 hp, and has 8 springs for shock absorbtion. Says it's rated for street and track. Anybody willing to share any information on these?

Quick Reply: 2003 V6 motor swap