Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Best streetable 9 second car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 AM
br.m.94

Default Best streetable 9 second car?

Ok i want to know what will be better? I have a 72 coupe and i want to build a 9 second car out of this one

ok i know that either build is going to be pricey but im not to worried about the price. But i am more worried about is the reliability out of either build. as far as internals im going to be using billet and maybe an aluminum block.not to sure yet i want a lumpy cam. I have a built 302 right now with a 280 duration cam 110 lobe separations and i think .488 lift. but i love the way that cam sounds so thats how i want my cam to be for either motor. of course going to have big aluminum heads and header etc. and both will be EFI. a 9 in rearend with 4.10 or 4.56s of course posi with a built AOD to handle that much HP

ok now the question with a 9 sec car i know ill have limited reliability but i dont care what i want to know is which of the two will i have more out of it. and also better gas mileage. i love this car so i dont want to be restricted because i cant afford gas i want to drive it around 3 days a week.
ok i understand that with a turbo motor ill need low compression
and for my BBF ill have high compression with the ratio being 11.5:1 or around there oh and i know that for the BBF ill need c16 gas but i can run on 91 around the street so just wanted to clear this up haha

i was thinking of a 427? maybe 351 windsor based stroker with 10:1 compression being the max highest with twin turbos or a 512 460 based stroker NA
I know at nearly 4000 pounds ill need lots of power to be pushing in the mid 9's
so question 1. which will have better reliability?
2. which will i get better gas mileage
3. which has a better exhaust note
4. i am just curious. If i end up with a twin turbo set up is their a way i can drive around the street without giving off my twin turbo? because i know that blow out valve...blows..
thank you!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 AM
br.m.94

well that title was a complete fail...
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you wanna build a 9 second car making sure it has a lumpy idle and gas mileage shouldn't be concerns.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

IMHO, if you're going to be driving this car around 3 days a week (partial DD), I wouldn't start the build. Not trying to be debbie downer here, but mpg's shouldn't be a concern if you're goal is to build a 9 sec car. 9 seconds will require the standard NHRA roll cage for that speed/time (blah blah-I know) and as such it won't be very daily-driver friendly. I would be running a small fuel cell if I wanted to go that fast. It's something that's driven to the track (not likely in my opinion) or towed/trailered to the track only.

At 4k lbs, you should be trying to lighten it up as well to make that kind of time, which again, reduces the DD ability of it. FWIW, if I was building a 9sec car, I wouldn't have it on the road 3 days a week or care if it got 4mpg.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Best reliability? Stroked and blown Windsor. (NOTE- blown, not turboed)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Envious to get in the 9s and worry about gas mileage?
No one is taking you seriously, sorry.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 AM
br.m.94

obviously i wasnt expecting to get 20 MPG im not stupid. the question is which gets better. i am aware of the consequences of having a HI-PO motor. i have one now and on a good day itll get 10 MPG..so ill appreciate it if you just give your input instead of trying to tell me something i already know.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 AM
br.m.94

also i am aware of any guidelines set etc i was already thinkin of putting a roll cage withh seats and harnesses..what i wanted to know is about the motor.and i wasnt going to start the motor build right now the current motor only has 1200 miles on it doesnt make sense to build again.I just want to know what options i have now so i can start saving up.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by br.m.94
........so ill appreciate it if you just give your input instead of trying to tell me something i already know.
That was my input and if you already knew, you wouldn't be asking.

Now, you're talking twin turbos on a big stroker eventually...
You're in for big bucks with that combo, like $20K in engine alone?
Maybe a Jon Kaase boss 429 N/A (up to 1000hp) is the way to go if you're gonna spend big $.
Better than a Forum... Go to the track and see who goes in the 9s then duplicate someone's combo.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Best reliability? Stroked and blown Windsor. (NOTE- blown, not turboed)
^^^Here, here!

Quick Reply: Best streetable 9 second car?