Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Chevy cobalt ss supercharged??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
mustangfreak88

Default RE: Chevy cobalt ss supercharged??

hey i believe that the new cobalt SS is a sweet car.people dont understand that the chevy SS badge has been around for 44 years, so it has alot of history behind it and its any big chevy fans 2 favorite letters. but what bothers me is why people sit there and talk trash on another companys car, when they havnt even drove it b4. with some tuning, i bet the cobalt SS will be just as fast as any mustang, camaro, firebird, and imports!!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM
98stngfrk
2nd Gear Member

I have a 99 Z24 cavalier that i drive back and fourth to college and it actually isn't that bad of a car. Now i really am not a big fan of GM products but hey it gets 30mpg and i have beaten quite a few V6 mustangs with it, oh and its an automatic. So as much as i hate to say it, the COBALT should be pretty impressive for a four banger, especially when someone ups the boost and adds a little gas.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:38 PM
gswetsky

COBALT

Base Price : $19,495
Engine : 4 cylinder, supercharged DOHC, front engine FWD
Displacement : 1,998 cc
Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 5-spd manual
Fuel economy : city - unknown
highway - unknown

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
R - Semi-independent torsion beam
Brakes : F - Solid discs
R - Solid discs

Horsepower : 205 hp @ 5600 rpm
Torque : 200 lb-ft @ 4400rpm
Redline : unknown

Top speed : 143 mph
0-60 mph : 6.4 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.9 sec @ 95.5 mph
60-0 braking distance : 121 ft(estimated)
200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g

Curb Weight : 2850 lbs(estimated)
Overall length : 180.5 in.
Wheelbase : 103.3 in.
Overall Width : 67.9 in.
Height : 55.8 in.
Looks like the Cobalt is a Saturn ION Redline in another guise. Personally, I'd take the Redline in a heartbeat over this offering. It's better looking and has Recaro seats. Of course the gauges in the Redline are a bit off-center.....

My S2000 can trim them both. Drove an '05 GT Stang yesterday. Impressive! For a guy who hasn't experienced torque in over a year, I came away wondering what the first three gears were for.

Gerry
Old 02-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

Id take the 06 monte carlo. 5.3L v8 303hp[8D]
Old 02-14-2005, 05:43 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

gotta love this site.[sm=icon_flaming.gif]

American muscle all the way!

[IMG]local://upfiles/10698/96AB6A65B4F04FC4B76186F5D4682E01.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
gswetsky

Id take the 06 monte carlo. 5.3L v8 303hp
When I had my '96 Monte w. V6 DOHC, I had spark plug wires screwing up about once a month. I'd take it into the dealer who would charge me a co-pay and replace the wire(s) with another of the same type. This went on till I got rid of the car. Some time after that, Chevrolet finally acknowledged the problem and asked me to bring the car in so they could install a different kind of wiring to the plugs. If I had sold the car, they would reimburse me for all my expenses I had incurred. Well, I had $300 in co-pays and Chevy sent me a check for $100.

Can you understand why one who had this experience might think that Chevrolet sucks?

[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Gerry
Old 02-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

2005 Neon SRT.. Thats a good winter beater. 250hp stock,
Old 02-15-2005, 02:15 PM
CIZ58
1st Gear Member

buy a truck
Old 02-16-2005, 02:42 AM
Al_

The cobalt has a decent ammount of bang for the buck, but the neon has more. Also consider the shape of the Neons and Cavys after a few years...no wonder they call them "throw away cars." You can also expect the value to drop like a rock afte 10k miles. Despite strong opposition, there are some imports in your ball park for price. Try a wrx or a honda accord v6. Also, save some money and buy one with 10k on it (I already made the mistake of buying a car new).
Old 02-18-2005, 01:31 AM
titaniumGT
1st Gear Member

Alright, for once, everyone should view this 4 banger with an open mind. I ordered my 05 GT a couple weeks ago and am looking forward to recieving it. But honestly, i was waiting since october to recieve my 05 cobalt ss sc (there is going to be another ss but its a sedan and not out until mid year or even 06, and it will have 170 hp with a N/A 2.4L) up until i ordered my gt and cancelled the cobalt order. The reason why was because they waited too long for it to come out, they were advertising since september only showing the ss sc version and not the sedans or regular coupes, which are now available. The ss sc is not out yet, they will be accepting and putting in orders on feb 28th and people will recieve their car mid-late march. If anyone wants to argue about this car you can argue to me because i belong to 3 different cobalt forums and know more about these cars than anyone you can talk to. Here's some things i've found out.
0-60=6.1 seconds
1/4=14.5 mph
dynos proving 210 whp and 200 wtq
twincharger in development by psi-fi motorsports
aem developing products
eibach and h&r already have springs out
speed limiter at 143 mph
recaro seats available with purchase of performance package (also has LSD in package)
100 lbs. lighter than ion redline

any other questions or comments about the car, just ask me. i have just gotten into the mustang and muscle car genre and not because i was a 16 year old that loved f&f, it was because i wasn't in the budget for a stang until now. i've grown up around cars all my life and my dad has worked for gm and ford so i can respect all unions. and if theres anyone that lives around the kc area, go down to kcir and look for one of my mom's friends if you don't think i have a love for muscle cars. he races in the 10s in his car that is a late 70s.

Quick Reply: Chevy cobalt ss supercharged??