Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

New engine line up for 2009 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
scsmithmh60
1st Gear Member

Default New engine line up for 2009 Mustang

Anyone heard word of a new engine line up for 2009? With the new camaro hitting the road in 09, I think ford needs to make some changes other than the V6 change they already have planned. Like the base GT getting a 400 hpSC 4.6 and the base Shelby getting a NA 5.4. What do you guys think?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New engine line up for 2009 Mustang

A 4.6 is going to be hard to compete against at 400hp 6.0.
But, the Camaro is going to have a hard time competing against the price point of the Stang.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Is that 400hp supercharged 4.6? No way are they going to add a supercharger to every mustang gt. The price would skyrocket. It's not like ford is making their own superchargers for pennies.

It'd be nice if ford could just stroke the current motor and add some forged rods while they are changing things.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT
the Camaro is going to have a hard time competing against the price point of the Stang.
+1

I havent read yet,but I cant seethe V-8 camaro being much cheaper than the Challenger SRT. Personally, at such a price difference, its not all fair to compare the stangs with those other two.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Is that 400hp supercharged 4.6? No way are they going to add a supercharger to every mustang gt. The price would skyrocket. It's not like ford is making their own superchargers for pennies.

It's be nice if ford could just stroke the current motor and add some forged rods while they are changing things.
I agree, it doesn't make cents [8D]

I think you may see a boost to the current 3v 4.6 with a revised head and/or revised intake as well as a remapped OEM tune and perhaps freer flowing exhaust. Should be good for an additional 50hp+ at the crank (350hp+).

Kind of like when they took the new edge mustangs and bumped the GT from 225 to 260 (35 hp) with the revised intake system or the 3.8L from 150 to 190hp with new heads and intake. It's amazing what attention to the intake and head setup does.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Reinforcements
1st Gear Member

i've heard from several sources that mustangs were getting 5.8 and 6.1L engines for 2009. not sure how accurate this info is though
Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
saleens281 speedster

Of course its the same ol'e deal over and over again. Lets face it. As usual the stock camaro Will out perform the stock or- GT simply because its Built to do that.
The camaro from its inception is a mustang ripoff, the fact that gm waits until the mustang is on the road before setting goals and getting deturned engines from the vette is a 'johnny come lately' approach to so-called competing. xactly why the camaro, although a good car, is somewhat a cheater. NOW the problem is Ford. FORD wants to caiter to too broad of a demographic.
And everytime they do that, (designing for women and 50year olds) they fail. the FordGT shouldve stayed in production, beings fords TRUE sports car and flagship, which like the camaro and the vette, make the mustang a much better car- as long as ford made quality parts specific for each vehicle (WHICH they dont). Todays mustang is still WAY to heavy for its size. And droping bigger sized engines isnt the answer. Thats always been the american aproach, and its a foolish one. Weight reduction is the key. (ask any racer) the mustangs unsprung weight is horribly to much. and screw all the talk about a short wheelbase being the problem. Porsches have been doing it for years, and theyre porportions arent that different from the stangs (abliet the engines in the back).
the mustang needs a shorter not taller. (c.o.grvity) lighter, andeven a tad wider. Even just loosing weight would make the current car SCREAM!! the camaro is making up that xtra weight with hp per liter. but it. like all camaros will be a heavy beast too. thats why i love saleens, theyre setup for tracks, not drag strips. Both are great fun, but precision driving rules. draging get boaring and VERY expensive after a while
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Redneck97
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saleens281 speedster

Of course its the same ol'e deal over and over again. Lets face it. As usual the stock camaro Will out perform the stock or- GT simply because its Built to do that.
The camaro from its inception is a mustang ripoff, the fact that gm waits until the mustang is on the road before setting goals and getting deturned engines from the vette is a 'johnny come lately' approach to so-called competing. xactly why the camaro, although a good car, is somewhat a cheater. NOW the problem is Ford. FORD wants to caiter to too broad of a demographic.
And everytime they do that, (designing for women and 50year olds) they fail. the FordGT shouldve stayed in production, beings fords TRUE sports car and flagship, which like the camaro and the vette, make the mustang a much better car- as long as ford made quality parts specific for each vehicle (WHICH they dont). Todays mustang is still WAY to heavy for its size. And droping bigger sized engines isnt the answer. Thats always been the american aproach, and its a foolish one. Weight reduction is the key. (ask any racer) the mustangs unsprung weight is horribly to much. and screw all the talk about a short wheelbase being the problem. Porsches have been doing it for years, and theyre porportions arent that different from the stangs (abliet the engines in the back).
the mustang needs a shorter not taller. (c.o.grvity) lighter, andeven a tad wider. Even just loosing weight would make the current car SCREAM!! the camaro is making up that xtra weight with hp per liter. but it. like all camaros will be a heavy beast too. thats why i love saleens, theyre setup for tracks, not drag strips. Both are great fun, but precision driving rules. draging get boaring and VERY expensive after a while

The motor in the Camaro/Firebird is the same as the Corvettes it isnt detuned. LT1=LT1 LS1=LS1 etc etc.

The f-body has just about all ways (at least for the 4th gen) got the same exact engine as the Vette. It's just that ford doesnt ever have anything to compete with it stock for stock.....Look how everything is right now ford has the 4.6 and 5.4. Chevy has the LS series engine.....and the up and comeing gen V Direct injection V8. Ford has what comeing up? (that has been announced)
Ford is even now talking about getting rid of the V8 (in most applacations) does this meen that it will be the end of the true GT Mustang? (I hope not) But ford has been know to make alota screw ups look at when they jumped to the modular engine format. I could really see Ford putting ina Turbo V6 for the GT Stang....[&:][:'(]
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
JayStar86

ORIGINAL: Redneck97

............Ford is even now talking about getting rid of the V8 (in most applacations) does this meen that it will be the end of the true GT Mustang? (I hope not) But ford has been know to make alota screw ups look at when they jumped to the modular engine format. I could really see Ford putting ina Turbo V6 for the GT Stang....[&:][:'(]
I think Ford knows better than to get rid of the v8..... most people without technical knoledge or consumers that are not advanced in tech specs (btw I dont know much myself, but enough to know this, lol) and the insides of a cars workings just know that if I buy a v8 im buying a high performacne car.... try convincing them a V6 well done will beat a V8 and theyll never believe you, but it is true. With that being said Ford always outdoes the Camaro in sales terms... which is an area where Ford will not want to lose its advantage, thus, never will the V8 go away. But I will say this just to clear things up... that Im not bashing the Camaro.... its an excellent car just like the Mustang....without the Camaro who else would we have to beat on the track and see it in the rear-view mirror, j/k, lol.

btw.... a V6 turbo is so a European car company thing to do!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
hockeynut

Derf00 is pretty close,this what I've been told. The v6 will be the same type engine as the Edge has (with a few tweeks). Rumor; it may have a turbo (looking at around 340 hp). I don't exspect this to happen until the new v8 engines hit the road. The v8 on the other hand for 2009 will have a new intake system with new heads with new cams. Looking around 340hp. But that will be just to get by until 2010 when the new engines will be the famed Hurricane engines.

Quick Reply: New engine line up for 2009 Mustang