Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

Just came back from the eye doctors office where I freeloaded a copy of Motor Trend. The cover featured the new Challenger. Inside the Mag I found an article that stated Ford, in order to fall in line with the new fuel regulations (2012 start)is going to try to get V8's out of there models. They are about to unleash a V6 twin turbo that is "gas direct injection". The engine is to be called "Ecoboost", and supposedly produces more horsepower then the current stock 4.6 V8. The Twin turo 3.7 will be installed in trucks and cars. The article goes on to say that some in Ford want to put the new motor into the Mustang. They know the additional HP, along with a lighter motor weight will enhance performance and agility. However, they aren't sure "us" Mustang fans will take to kindly to a GT with only six sleeves.
The fuel regs start to phase in 2012, with full compliance by 2020. Furhter in the Mag there is an article that reads about how the Vette, Mustang, Challenger, and the mythical Camaro may be the at the end because of the fuel regs.

I know I personally would need a lot of persuading in order to swallow a "V8less" Mustang. I'mhopingthat's what atest drive in a 3.7 twin turbo gas direct injection. Persuading.

Then again it's only an article in a snobby car mag.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos

V8 twin turbo FTW?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

If it can produce torque like a V8, than I'm totally fine with it.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I just got that magazine in the mail today. Pretty interesting that they tested a Roush, Saleen and a Shelby against one another for "bragging rights."

As far as the twin turbo and "the end of the musclecar," carcompanies have been down that road before as expressed in Motor Trend. They said "Peak power may again decline, but weight will too and any drop in performance should be milder."

I love the sound of the V8, and I drive a V6 and I'm not ashamed one bit. I know there are "V8less" cars out there (4 cylinders!) that will blow the pants off a V8! Take the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR SE. It's a DOHC 4 valve/cyl car that can do a 1/4 mile in 3.5 seconds @102.1 mph! To me, if the car manufacturers can give us fast cars with better gas mileage, then I'm all for it!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

I just got that magazine in the mail today. Pretty interesting that they tested a Roush, Saleen and a Shelby against one another for "bragging rights."

As far as the twin turbo and "the end of the musclecar," carcompanies have been down that road before as expressed in Motor Trend. They said "Peak power may again decline, but weight will too and any drop in performance should be milder."

I love the sound of the V8, and I drive a V6 and I'm not ashamed one bit. I know there are "V8less" cars out there (4 cylinders!) that will blow the pants off a V8! Take the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR SE. It's a DOHC 4 valve/cyl car that can do a 1/4 mile in 3.5 seconds @102.1 mph! To me, if the car manufacturers can give us fast cars with better gas mileage, then I'm all for it!
Holy ****ing ***** thats one quick car man, with only 300 hp it must weigh like 2.5 pounds!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
5.0LitreSN95
2nd Gear Member

If it means a drop in weight, and in overall dimensions (the S197 looks enourmous parked next to other generations ofmustangs) I would actually prefer a twin turbo V6.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

I think you maybe meant 13.5 or somethin, right? lol
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
firstgt
1st Gear Member

Yea they mention the twin turbos spool quicker so it's a major improvement.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I'd buy a twin turbo V6 Mustang GT,
Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: haromaster87

I think you maybe meant 13.5 or somethin, right? lol
Unlessit is a misprint in Motor Trend....that is what it stated. Also it says the '06 Lancer Evo MR SE has 286 hp @ 6500 rmp, 289 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rmp. Weight to power 11.5 hp/lb.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend claims Mustang may go with V6 twin turbos