Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Why doesnt the 2010 Mustang have more power? I have an idea...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Id pay more for 450 warrantied horsepower over slightly less cost for 450 modified, unwarrantied horsepower.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 PM
mjk

Originally Posted by Ride Of The Month
Id pay more for 450 warrantied horsepower over slightly less cost for 450 modified, unwarrantied horsepower.
I'd trade my 07 for a boss 5.0 with 440hp+, as long as it isnt over 33k base and very close to 3500lb...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 AM
allenfre

Well I guess, there's just a steed for every need
Old 11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

All I can say if Ford can do more. There is a way to make a 400 hp car get excellent MPG, just ask any Corvette owner, these guys are able to get 28 MPG + on the interstate, and still hang around 20 doing city and have a nice load of power right out of the box, and respond dangerously to mods. Now granted a Vette cost 2X as much as a Mustang, in any gen (new/used) however it just goes to show you that the potential is there. Why Ford can't do whatever the hell it is GM does to their Vette engines is beyond me.

As stated, Detroit lacks innovation. IMO, Ford and GM just need to declare total bankruptsy, and start over again from scratch, and possibly merg into one company and close unneeded factorys, layoff all unneeded labor, cut CEOs, and just start with the basics and go from there. Granted a lot of people would loose their jobs, however this is needed to keep the companies alive, they've gotten too big for their own good, and I'll be damned if I'm going to keep giving my tax dollars to a failing company every two or three years just to prolong the innevitable, company faillure.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:21 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang5151
If Ford does come out with a BOSS 302 or 429, or anything making 400 HP not named Shelby, I'll be buying earlier than expected.

Until then, I'm still saving for 2014 and the 50th anniv editions.
EXACTLY. im waiting till the 50th anniversary (2014) to buy my next mustang. this is when i see them bumping up the power with a new motor. they have to save something special for this anniverary of the mustang.
but if ford decides to jump the gun....SIGN ME UP
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Does it suck the CEO's make 22mill a year? For us, yeah. I would be pissed if I was the ceo and people complained that I made a lot of money. ON THE OTHER HAND! When your "Business" is going down, and you start cutting jobs, it's time to start shaving off the top. Pretty soon Ford is going to have too many bosses and not enough workers the way they are cutting jobs.

Also, do I blame the big 3 looking for a hand out? HELL NO, the govt gave AIG 4 times the amount the big 3 are asking for, I'd ask too.... Does it make it right? No...
there are so many different aspsects of the whole "bail out plan" than just "the ceo's took their personal planes"

Although, you would think GM and Chrysler would have went in the same plane
hehe

anyhow, just me .03 (yeah, I said .03)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
orange04s281
2nd Gear Member

wait and see if they come out with the new 5.0 in 2011
Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
All I can say if Ford can do more. There is a way to make a 400 hp car get excellent MPG, just ask any Corvette owner, these guys are able to get 28 MPG + on the interstate, and still hang around 20 doing city and have a nice load of power right out of the box, and respond dangerously to mods. Now granted a Vette cost 2X as much as a Mustang, in any gen (new/used) however it just goes to show you that the potential is there. Why Ford can't do whatever the hell it is GM does to their Vette engines is beyond me.

As stated, Detroit lacks innovation. IMO, Ford and GM just need to declare total bankruptsy, and start over again from scratch, and possibly merg into one company and close unneeded factorys, layoff all unneeded labor, cut CEOs, and just start with the basics and go from there. Granted a lot of people would loose their jobs, however this is needed to keep the companies alive, they've gotten too big for their own good, and I'll be damned if I'm going to keep giving my tax dollars to a failing company every two or three years just to prolong the innevitable, company faillure.

I'd bet our cars would get as good or better MPG than the Vette if they were as light or aerodynamic as the Vette... but then again we don't have as much HP.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:37 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
I'd bet our cars would get as good or better MPG than the Vette if they were as light or aerodynamic as the Vette... but then again we don't have as much HP.
Our cars would get better MPG if Ford would upgrade the Mustang to a six speed transmission. It's one of the primary reasons the last generation F-bodies did so well in fuel economy compared to the Mustang. The 2010 redesign already has vastly improved aerodynamics over the 05-09's, but a good 6 speed gearbox would go a long ways toward giving the Mustang better highway fuel economy.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
allenfre

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I'm not sure they are in a position to try to sell large numbers of 400 hp cars.
And I'm not sure Americans are in a position to afford the price of this car. How many people who want more power in a Mustang are actually financially able to purchase a new car that would probably cost around $35,000 (2010 GT Premium is $30,095)?

Ford is begging money from the govt. (that's you and I), and this is what their plan is? Using old, gas guzzling engines in cars that will sell in small numbers?

The lack of innovation is why the Big Three are failing. Well, that and the fact we pay the CEO's millions of dollars to fly private jets while their companies lose BILLIONS.
Wouldn't a modern, direct injection engine, like the Eco-boost, (or even one of those clean diesel engines with their massive torque) be more innovative?

Personally, I'd like to see Ford custom build Mustangs like a new Boss or Mach I, but make the customer order the cars. Building lots of 400 hp Mustangs and hoping they will sell isn't going to work in the current market. Offering us the choice of engines and suspension packages will allow us to tailor the cars to our needs.
Totally agree. I am wondering what makes them too busy to keep them away from presenting new innovations to the consumers.

Quick Reply: Why doesnt the 2010 Mustang have more power? I have an idea...